My Acer Aspire 1-A114-31-C4HH - came with 30GB. How can I increase the storage capacity?

ElGreco
ElGreco Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Aspire 1 notebook. It came with 30 GB and I want to increase the storage capacity. How can I do it? (I think it has solid state storage only. No hard drive)

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning ElGreco !

If it has been resolved, check accepting responses to close and be able to help others in the forum!

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Good evening ElGreco !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    Some models do not support any type of disk installation, and only eMMC memory can be directed to Windows.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ElGreco
    Here is the information you requested.  Aspire 1-A114-31-C4HH,   MODEL # N17Q4.  The device has an under panel with several phillips screws. No indication of a hard drive. I am thinking of opening th panel and look for the SSD memory and replace it with a 64 GB chip. Is that possible?
  • MaClane
    The internal flash memory is eMMC and is integrated directly into the motherboard, and its replacement or replacement is not possible.
    Some models, depending on the region, have built-in support for HDD or M.2 2280 SSD.
    In that case, I suggest you open the back cover and check the availability of these slots in your device:

HDD location:

SSD location:

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• ElGreco
    MaClane, thank you for your response. I will take the back panel off and check to see if there is room for a HD or additional SSD memory. Your 2nd picture helps to guide me. If there is room, i will contact you again to ask for the part number of the device that I can use. Many thanks.
  • MaClane
    OK!
    I'm waiting!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• rdbeee
    rdbeee Member Posts: 2 New User
    hello, so are  you saying that if i have acer laptop Aspire 1 A114-31 Model N17Q4 there is no possible way to install external hard drive?  I have no memory left for Window Updates and I don't know how to tinker inside or do complicated processes.  I just want to buy an external hard drive that I can stick in an open slot and have more memory.  Is this possible????
  • MaClane
    Good evening rdbeee !

Please, to keep the forum organized, as directed by moderators, do not post to topics that are already open, inactive, or resolved.
    Always open a new topic.
    Put an @ in front of my name that I properly guide you there.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• rdbeee
    rdbeee Member Posts: 2 New User
    @MaClane
    hi how do I post this question:

hello, so are  you saying that if i have acer laptop Aspire 1 A114-31 Model N17Q4 there is no possible way to install external hard drive?  I have no memory left for Window Updates and I don't know how to tinker inside or do complicated processes.  I just want to buy an external hard drive that I can stick in an open slot and have more memory.  Is this possible????
  • MaClane
    rdbeee ,

Ask the question by opening a new topic here:

https://community.acer.com/en/post/question/en

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• ElGreco
    Just to close on this topic. I called ACER and they conformed that the model on notebook that I have is NOT upgradable for storage capacity. The SSD chip is hardwired on the PC board and it cannot be removed or replaced. This is my second computer and I can continue to use for limited work with the amount of storage that I have. I use thumbdrives for work that requires extended storage. Thank you for your help.

• ElGreco
    Just to close on this topic. I called ACER and they conformed that the model on notebook that I have is NOT upgradable for storage capacity. The SSD chip is hardwired on the PC board and it cannot be removed or replaced. This is my second computer and I can continue to use for limited work with the amount of storage that I have. I use thumbdrives for work that requires extended storage. Thank you for your help.

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning ElGreco !

If it has been resolved, check accepting responses to close and be able to help others in the forum!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Dissatisfied
    Dissatisfied Member Posts: 2 New User
    Why would Acer sell a laptop with Windows 10 that is so low on storage you can't even update it? Seems like a scam.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Heheh, because people want the cheapest they can get, and it's cheaper to build without those capabilities. Some of the A114 models have a 64GB eMMC drive instead of 32GB, and that has enough storage to not be an automatic problem.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.