Acer AZ3-710-ES51 - Windows 1903 USB problem

yaudette
yaudette Member Posts: 34 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

Hello,

I have an Acer All-in-one (BIOS version R01-A1) that was working just fine under Windows 10 v1809. I have made several attempts at upgrading to 1903 without success. One of them was performed using an ISO disk downloaded with media creation tool.

As I was upgrading to 1903, the mouse and the keyboard were operating normally but as soon as the process ended, I am not able to use either of them. I have switched them to other USB ports from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 and back to USB 2.0 without any effect.

I have made an attempt at booting in safe mode but the mouse and the keyboard are not available.

I have managed to get back to the 1809 version of Windows 10 and as soon as it was available, the mouse and the keyboard were back. When I go to the BIOS, the mouse and the keyboard are functioning well. The same with booting from the ISO DVD in repair mode.

I have checked the Windows 1903 page for reported problems and I haven't found anything in line with my problem. I have checked the driver page from Acer and found nothing new. I have not found anything on the web matching with my situation.

So the question remains: how come upgrading from 1809 to 1903 causes such a problem for something as basic as USB ports?

Hope that someone can help me in resolving this major issue.

Awaiting feedback.

Regards

Best Answer

Answers

• yaudette
    as of today, the BIOS is now R01-A3 and this change did not impact favorably the upgrade to Windows 1903
  • Are there any devices with device manager issues?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • yaudette
    edited August 2019
    Hi,
    I cannot click your link because I do not have access to my keyboard and my mouse.

The snid is: XXXXXXXXXX
    The model is: AZ3-710-ES51
    The serial is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited the post product unique S/N & SNID posted. Acer-David
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • yaudette
    Hi egydiocoelho,

after going to the links, here is what I have done:

- after going back to 1809, I have checked again for updates; Windows update found KB4511553 published on Aug 13, 2019 and KB4507419

- I went through device manager forcing Windows to check for update for each individual USB component. All were up to date, except the Realtek USB 2.0 card reader

- while going through each USB component, I have uncheck the option for those using Power management feature

- have tried again the migration to 1903 ending up with the exact same problem.

In the links, there was a suggestion to proceed with a clean install of Windows 10 1903. I had already given some thought to this option but I am not thrilled by the idea because I would have to save all the data (pictures, music, contacts, emails, documents, etc.) and reinstall all apps. To me, it does not make sense to reload a computer because an upgrade cannot deal with such basics operations like USB ports allowing you to communicate with the operating system via a keyboard and a mouse. 
  • You can partition hd and install windows from scratch on another partition and test.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• yaudette
    As per your suggestion, I have created another partition and have proceeded to a clean installation of 1903 and everything seems to work perfectly. At least, the keyboard and mouse are fine. I have checked device manager for any potential problem and did not find anything. 

Then I went on upgrading the other partition from 1809 to 1903 and I ended up with the exact same problem (no mouse, no keyboard). On top of this, since I was in a dual boot environment the working partition ended up as a second boot option because the other partition became the default one. The consequence is that when the boot menu is presented, I cannot select anything because the mouse and the keyboard are not functionning. I had to change the boot sequence so that the partition with the clean install becomes the default partition for booting so that the mouse and the keyboard are in operation. 

I am planning now to compare the drivers of both partitions and try to replace those that are differents by their equivalents from the clean install.

• That would be interesting. Have you checked in device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jayandsilentbob
    jayandsilentbob Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Check out https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538895/all-in-one-pc-aspire-z3-710-is-not-responding-to-wireless-keyboard-mouse for what looks to be this same issue, and ways different folks have dealt with it.  Apparently if you can get remote access post-upgrade (i.e., by installing TeamViewer or something similar first), you can fix it by re-activating USB 3.0 in Device Manager.  I'm about to try to re-fix my machine after this update killed it again.
  • yaudette
    Here is the conclusion to this problem.

By using TeamViewer, I was able to take control of the computer for which no USB port was functionning and as a consequence I was not able to interact with Windows. I have installed TeamViewer on a good computer as well as on the defective one after falling back to Windows 1809. I have set TeamViewer so that it starts with Windows and is used for remote control only. I have also set a static password to avoid the application changing it each time you start your computer.

With this in place, my first action was for checking device manager. The entry for USB 3 was in problem but I did not want to change anything at that point. The next action was to execute Windows update. KB4512508 was installed. This update is about several things including mouse and keyboard. I was hoping that the fix would solve the issue with USB. Unfortunately, it was not the case. I went back to the USB 3 entry under device manager and proceeded to an update of the drivers and activation of them. All the sudden, the mouse and the keyboard were back.

Before the installation of TeamViewer, I spent quite a lot of time and efforts trying to figure out which set of drivers from the Driverstore was causing the problem. From 33 packages into the Driverstore, it went down to 15 by using tools like pnputil, dism and winmerge. I was comparing the packages from the other partition created with a clean install of Windows 1903 and the problem partition containing the end results of the migration from 1809 to 1903.
    I have learned/read a lot to achieve this and I am not sure that I fully understand the impacts of removing packages from the Driverstore.

I did not want to clean install 1903 because I did not want to save all data including mail and contacts and reinstall all applications. Considering the time I have spent on reading and trying different things, the clean install approach would have been less time consuming even with the saving/restoring of data and reinstall of apps. But this is the choice that I have made and I am happy about it. I have learned a lot and moreover, I have proven my point that it was possible to fix the issue without reloading the computer.

Many thanks to egydiocoelho, jayandsilentbob and smtjets

Case closed
  • You are welcome my friend.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jayandsilentbob
    jayandsilentbob Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Check out https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538895/all-in-one-pc-aspire-z3-710-is-not-responding-to-wireless-keyboard-mouse for what looks to be this same issue, and ways different folks have dealt with it.  Apparently if you can get remote access post-upgrade (i.e., by installing TeamViewer or something similar first), you can fix it by re-activating USB 3.0 in Device Manager.  I'm about to try to re-fix my machine after this update killed it again.