Acer Aspire 9810 ... has anybody been able to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB RAM?

Dubjedi
Dubjedi Member Posts: 37 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 9810 with 2GB installed. The User Guide states it is upgradable to 4GB. I bought the required new DIMMs 2x2GB but the laptop will not boot up when both installed simultaneously. The laptop will boot up with either 2GB DIMM when installed alone; just not when both installed together.

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Thanks.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    1. Which exact model do you own?
    2. Which memory modules did you buy?
    3. OS installed?
    France
  • Dubjedi
    Hi Laurent_14,

1. When I check the model name within the OS it says it's an Acer Aspire 9810. However, the sticker on the front says it's an Aspire 9815WKHI.
    2. The RAM is 2 x 2GB 2RX8 DDR2 PC2-5300S-667MHz
    3. Windows 10 Pro   32 Bit 

Thanks for taking a look.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    1. Could you give me the brand and the part number of the new memory modules?
    2. Have you tried with 1GB+2GB?
    France
  • Dubjedi
    Hi Laurent_14,

1. I have tried 2 different brands, offtek and XUM.
    2. I have tried this and it failed to boot also.

Each 2 GB module will work on its own but not when paired with another 2GB module.

Thanks.
  • Dubjedi
    Sorry I forgot to mention part numbers.

1) offtek
    S27 RoHs
    2GB PC2-5300 128X8 200 SODIMM
    HEL 934057 Batch 112-143533R*LP

2) XUM
    LX2GDDR2S667
    2GB 2RX8 DDR2 PC2-5300S-667MHz

Thanks..

• Dubjedi
    Hi Laurent_14, any thoughts on this?
  • Do you know what the bios version is?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Dubjedi
    Hi egydiocoelho,

BIOS Version V2.04
    Intel Calistoga CRB.TC1 Reference BIOS
    VERSION.MAX -r.11
    "PHOENIX CSS 2005 Q1"

Thanks for taking a look ...

• There is version 2.14 of bios for your model! An update may resolve compatibility issues with certain hardware, but it may also render your notebook unusable! I am not liable for any damages: https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/144?b=1
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Dubjedi
    Thanks very much egydiocoelho.

When  Iook at that it shows BIOS Version v1.21, not v2.14. Can you tell me where you see v2.14.

Do you know if there is anyway to backup BIOS first?

Cheers.
  • yapis
    yapis Member Posts: 1 New User
    Dubjedi said:
    Thanks very much egydiocoelho.

When  Iook at that it shows BIOS Version v1.21, not v2.14. Can you tell me where you see v2.14.

Do you know if there is anyway to backup BIOS first?

Cheers.
    Hi there, did you fix the problem? 
    I wanna upgrade my memory as well and wanna know if is possibility?
    Thanks
  • Dubjedi
    No, I didn’t get answers to my last questions. I didn’t proceed. Stuck on 2GB. I could never boot properly after installing 2 2GB dimms.
  • Version 2.14 is exclusive to windows vista:

I do not know if it will solve your problem.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dubjedi
    Thanks but i’m On Windows 10. 
  • Perhaps the problem is occurring because you are using dual rank memories (2RX8). Have you tested with single rank memories (1rx8)?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tmzdroid
    Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Have a kook in the bios settings there may be an option to change the amount of usable ram from 2048 to 4096..
  • I have the impression that this model accepts up to 3gb ram ddr2. Can you inform the chipset with cpuz?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dubjedi
    I’m done putting any more time into it. I haven’t heard of anyone achieving it, only people complaining it’s impossible. The User Guide lied!
  • Can you just enter the first ten partnumber numbers on your desktop?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dubjedi
    LXAF60U023

Thanks for caring 🙃