Boot error

HedyLamarr
HedyLamarr Member Posts: 2 New User
Immediately following the latest Windows 10 update, I am getting an error message in a blue box on a black background:
"Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed
Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot Device or Boot Recovery Media"

Can  anyone tell me how to recover my laptop?

Answers

• imacuser
    imacuser Member Posts: 8 New User
    Not sure if im helpful or not but looks like u will need to reinstall windows
    U need to somehow save ur data. May be boot from external usb. Or take out ur disk and install in  a different pc to save data
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

@HedyLamarr     

You may receive the error "No Bootable Device" or "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed" if your computer does not detect a hard drive, solid state drive, or other bootable drive to load the operating system. This can sometimes be caused by a change to settings in your BIOS or UEFI. Use the following steps to resolve this situation:

1. Hold the power-button for 5 seconds to power off the device.
    2. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
    3. Press F9 and then ENTER to load the default configuration. Press F10 to save your changes, and restart the system. Select Yes and press ENTER to confirm.

Your system should boot up normally, If you are still experiencing a problem, please contact Acer support in your region for further assistance..

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• HedyLamarr
    HedyLamarr Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks a lot. But still not working. One follow-up: should the boot mode be uefi? Could switching to legacy help? The model is aspire S7 392.
  • firouze
    firouze Member Posts: 1 New User
    i do several times to recover my boot device but does not work what should i do
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Your Aspire S7-392 is a bit of an odd duck, with a dual SSD setup in RAID mode, with both drives on the same card. I believe by the next year they has switched to just a single, bigger, SSD. Likely what has happened is one of the two drives has failed, which leaves the whole thing corrupt.
    Your system came originally with Windows 8.1, so it is an UEFI boot environment. That means first of all that the drive needs to be configured as GPT and that there needs to be a small (typically 100MB) partition to hold the EFI files. Any time the system can't see the proper EFI files during boot it generates that error. The bus the SSD sits on is an mSATA bus, so older than the M.2 PCIe bus used in current systems. You can look for a replacement dual SSD card and reinstall the OS, allowing the installer to create all needed partitions, or put a single drive on a mSATA card and do the same thing. It all comes down to how much time and cost you want to put in a laptop that is as old as this one...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.