Is it possible to output 4K@60Hz video from a laptop Acer Swift 1 with the Intel N5000 (SF114-32)?

PauloBarros
PauloBarros Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
Dear Friends from Acer Community,

First of all, to avoid any kind of misleading information, my main goal here is to reach someone who owns or have or had access to one of newer models of the notebook Acer Swift 1 to test its video out capabilities.

As far as I know, the laptop Acer Swift 1 (model SF114-32) is offered with a variety of different CPU/GPU(integrated graphics).

The older versions were built with Intel processors N3060, N3710 etc. Those versions were NOT capable to output 4K@60Hz video.

But, theoretically, the NEW versions of this notebook (with de N4000, N4100 and N5000 processors) can output video with 4K@60Hz (3840x2160 pixels) resolution.

In fact, those processors are advertised by Intel as being capable of 4k@60Hz video output. Please check:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/128988/intel-celeron-n4000-processor-4m-cache-up-to-2-60-ghz.html

What I don't know is if the hardware ports (HDMI and USB-C) on the new version of this laptop can handle that 4k@60Hz video signal.

On one side, it may depend of the version of the HDMI port hardware. If it is version 1.4, it would probably be a no go. But if it is version 2.0, it should work.

On the other side, this notebook also has an USB-C port, but I am not sure if it supports video output. And, even if it does, can it output video at 4K@60Hz?

If the answer to this last question is positive, has anyone tested the USB-C port to drive a 4k monitor ( resolution of 3840x2160 pixels) at 60Hz using a cable (USB-C >>> Displayport) like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1478023-REG/iogear_g2lu3cdp22_usb_c_to_displayport_5k.html?

Even if there is no hardware obstacles, maybe this limitation was imposed somehow by Acer that may have manufactured it using some kind of restricting software or firmware. And that is what I want to discover.

So, can anybody confirm that the newer models can handle the mentioned resolution (4K@60Hz), be it over HDMI or over USB-C?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon PauloBarros !

The first thing you should enter is which EXACT model of your laptop.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• PauloBarros

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    Good afternoon PauloBarros !

The first thing you should enter is which EXACT model of your laptop.

Ok. The exact model that I want to buy is the SF114-32-P31S (NX.GXUEG.OO1). It comes with the Intel N5000 processor.
  • Have you checked the link I submitted in the previous topic?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • PauloBarros

Tinkerer

I have read that topic before opening this one. It is not precise enough for me.
    First, because they treat 4096 x 2160 @ 30 Hz the same way as 3840 x 2160p @ 30Hz, but the bandwidth requirements for these resolutions are different.
    Second, because they haven't tried to use a USB-C >>> Displayport cable, but only a USB-C >>> HDMI, and that can make a huge difference, especially if you consider the use of passive or active adapters.
    Third, because I think that some of the participants may have confused the old versions of this laptop with the new ones (which have different integrated GPUs), what may and probably will impact the correctness of the questions presented.
    What do you think? Have you read carefully the discussion you mentioned?

• Yes. I even paid attention to your doubt. Now, about usb port 3.1, check that on the Acer website it says it is first generation and therefore does not support video display, see: acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/professional-model/NX.GXUEG.001

About the hdmi port, the version is 1.4b, see:
    In addition, this service manual was updated on 04/11/2019.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• PauloBarros

Tinkerer

Have you checked the link I submitted in the previous topic?
    Yes. I have read it carefully before posting my own question.
  • PauloBarros

Tinkerer

Yes. I even paid attention to your doubt. Now, about usb port 3.1, check that on the Acer website it says it is first generation and therefore does not support video display, see: acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/professional-model/NX.GXUEG.001

About the hdmi port, the version is 1.4b, see:

In addition, this service manual was updated on 04/11/2019.

Ok. Thanks for the HDMI port version info. 
    But I am almost sure that you are wrong about the capabilities of the USB-C gen 1 port, if not, what would be the purpose of this device: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NP.CAB1A.020?
  • PauloBarros

Tinkerer

I kind of said that at my initial text: "On one side, it may depend of the version of the HDMI port hardware. If it is version 1.4, it would probably be a no go. But if it is version 2.0, it should work."
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    Good evening !

As for HDMi, I think it has already been clarified that in version 1.4 will not be possible.
    Already on USB Type C, natively, only in Gen 2 the video transfer is possible.
    I believe the adapter page may be wrong.
    In 11 different devices which I have already tested, none with Gen 1 was able to transfer video.
    Gen only supported and Thunderbot.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• As far as I know, the usb 3.1 gen 1 port is not capable of generating video image. However, I will ask for more information about this device: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NP.CAB1A.020#_ga=2.71923859.1239920009.1560705065-1187228471.1523479791

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• PauloBarros

Tinkerer

Thank you guys, for all the effort trying to solve my doubts.
    Please, update me if you have any new info about USB-C gen 1 features.
  • OK! I asked the community moderator for more information about this device. 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer