Trouble Booting Up Aspire ATC-605-UR1A with Windows 7

solidterry
solidterry Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
A couple of weeks ago I was away from my 4-year old Acer Aspire ATC-605-UR1A Desktop PC for a couple of hours and when I returned there was a message in the lower-right hand corner of the screen that I'd never seen before that said something like "Super AntiSpyware has found a trojan and...." Before I could finish reading the rest of the message, my PC suddenly shut off by itself and I've been unable to reboot it ever since. 

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and I'm getting the 0xc000000d error message when I turn the PC on ["An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."]. I learned about the Hiren Boot CD, downloaded it and used the Rufus app to put HBCD on a USB flash drive, but the computer doesn't seem to recognize the flash drive even though I adjusted the BIOS to boot the computer from the USB device [or Removable Device]. It just keeps giving me this message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected device and press a key." I've already done that and I keep ending up back at that screen with that message. 

Don't know what else to do. There have been no recent software changes on the computer.  I need to rescue the files I worked on before my last backup. The SuperAntiSpyware trojan message that began all this might have been a coincidence. I also use MalwareBytes and ZoneAlarm antivirus software. I've already tried opening the computer and dusting inside and re-seating things to no avail.
Can anyone help?

Best Answers

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning solidterry !

First of all, I don't think it is necessary to use so many applications for malware, trojnas, etc.
    This can lead to conflicts between detection heuristics.

If your question is really data and files, I suggest 2 options:

1- remove the HDD and use an external case to connect it to a Linux system and have secure access to them.

2- to try to access the repair via USB, disable SecureBoot on Bios and also test another pendrve and another ISO

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Hirens Boot CD use the Windows PE boot environment and is not compatible with UEFI BIOSes. Computers built since the introduction to Windows 8 in 2013 use UEFI for booting. Since you are running Windows 7 the system wouldn't require UEFI for booting, but you'd have to do a BIOS change in order to legacy boot. Verify in the BIOS which mode you are in before trying to boot Hirens. Likely the virus which put that message up has mucked around with your boot environment, either screwing up the UEFI environment on your HDD or changing the drive from one mode to another.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

Thanks very much for your reply.  I didn’t realize there had been any replies to my message so I apologize for not responding sooner.  I actually was able to make some progress since posting the message. Someone else advised me Super AntiSpyware isn’t recommended and that it probably messed up my Boot Manager, as you also surmised.  On his advice, I downloaded to another computer Windows 7 Ultimate from getintopc.com, using Rufus to create a USB bootable flash drive. I kept the BIOS set to boot from the USB instead of the Boot Manager.  At first it wouldn’t boot up my corrupted PC, but after some tinkering involving using the F12 key to change “Boot Options” and also using Rufus to create the USB bootable flash drive by partitioning my GPT drive to MBR, I was able to at least boot to the blue Windows screen where you’re asked to choose your language and country using the flash drive.  I was advised to then go to the black CMD screen (Shift F10) and type in: 

bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    bootrec /scanos

Unfortunately, after restarting I still keep ending up at a black, blank screen.  I’ve tried changing the Boot Manager back to 1st priority in the booting order in the BIOS.  

I tried someone else’s suggestion to use:

Bootrec /fixboot
    Bootrec /fixmbr
    bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren c:\bootbcd bcd.old
    Bootrec /rebuildbcd
    I didn't get past the third line (bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup) because after typing it I got a message saying The store export operation has failed.  The requested system device cannot be found.  I tried using different drive letters instead of c:, but still no dice.

I feel that I'm very close to fixing this corrupted computer, but I must be overlooking something.  Can you offer any suggestions?
  • billsey
    Is there an option in the BIOS to choose legacy or UEFI boot? It sounds like it was set to UEFI (the GPT drive mode is required) and you have reconfigured everything to do a Legacy boot (where MBR is required). I'm thinking if you get the BIOS into legacy mode you'll be up and running with the Windows 7 image (assuming you have a key matching the version).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

The Boot Options tab on my BIOS reads like this:
    Launch CSM                      [Always]
    Launch PXE OPROM         [Legacy]
    Launch Storage OPROM  [Legacy]
    Launch Video OPROM      [Legacy]

1st Boot Device           [Removable Device]
    2nd Boot Device          [Windows Boot Manager]
    3rd Boot Device           [P1: Matshita DVD-RA...]
    4th Boot Device           [LAN]

Out of the first 4 lines, the only one I can change is the first one (Launch CSM) from "Always" to "Never". If I choose "Never" then the other launch lines disappear. Is this what you're referring to? I'm very new to all this.
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

Just to add to my prior message, I've tried booting both with Launch CSM, and without it.  When I choose "Never" and hit F12 to go to the "Please select boot device" screen, I only have the one option of choosing Windows Boot Manager.  When I hit enter, I'm taken to the black error message screen showing the 0xc000000d error and the message "An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."  Launching with CSM allows me to use the USB flash drive to at least get to the blue Windows screen and to the command screen where the bootrec commands take me to a blank, black screen as I mentioned earlier.  Also, the USB flash drive has a version of Windows 7 Ultimate that I was advised to download from getintopc.com.  I don't know about a license being needed, but I've never done this before. 
  • billsey
    OK, you are in far enough that we can do a little diagnostics. From that command prompt use the diskpart utility and look at the partitions on the HDD. You should have a 100M partition that's FAT32. It should look a little like this (my Switch 7, the D volume is an SD card):
    DISKPART> list vol<br><br>&nbsp; Volume ###&nbsp; Ltr&nbsp; Label&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Type&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Size&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Status&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Info<br>&nbsp; ----------&nbsp; ---&nbsp; -----------&nbsp; -----&nbsp; ----------&nbsp; -------&nbsp; ---------&nbsp; --------<br>&nbsp; Volume 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; C&nbsp;&nbsp; Acer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NTFS&nbsp;&nbsp; Partition&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 475 GB&nbsp; Healthy&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Boot<br>&nbsp; Volume 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Recovery&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NTFS&nbsp;&nbsp; Partition&nbsp;&nbsp; 1024 MB&nbsp; Healthy<br>&nbsp; Volume 2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ESP&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; FAT32&nbsp; Partition&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 100 MB&nbsp; Healthy&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; System<br>&nbsp; Volume 3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; D&nbsp;&nbsp; Library&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NTFS&nbsp;&nbsp; Removable&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 116 GB&nbsp; Healthy
    Let me know what yours looks like and we'll move on to the next step.

• solidterry

Tinkerer

Okay -- thanks for responding.  Here's what mine looks like (sorry if it's a little messy):
    Volume       Ltr     Label               Fs          Type             Size         Status        Info
    Volume 0      E                                        DVD-ROM             0 B    No Media
    Volume 1      C     Acer                 NTFS    Partition        1829 GB  Healthy
    Volume 2             Recovery          NTFS    Partition          600 MB  Healthy      Hidden
    Volume 3             ESP                  FAT32   Partition          300 MB  Healthy      Hidden
    Volume 4             Push Button      NTFS    Partition            32 GB  Healthy      Hidden
    Volume 5      D     W7ULT_X86X6   NTFS    Removable         57 GB  Healthy
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    OK, you are in far enough that we can do a little diagnostics. From that command prompt use the diskpart utility and look at the partitions on the HDD. You should have a 100M partition that's FAT32. It should look a little like this (my Switch 7, the D volume is an SD card):
    DISKPART> list vol<br><br>&nbsp; Volume ###&nbsp; Ltr&nbsp; Label&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Type&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Size&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Status&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Info<br>&nbsp; ----------&nbsp; ---&nbsp; -----------&nbsp; -----&nbsp; ----------&nbsp; -------&nbsp; ---------&nbsp; --------<br>&nbsp; Volume 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; C&nbsp;&nbsp; Acer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NTFS&nbsp;&nbsp; Partition&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 475 GB&nbsp; Healthy&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Boot<br>&nbsp; Volume 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Recovery&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NTFS&nbsp;&nbsp; Partition&nbsp;&nbsp; 1024 MB&nbsp; Healthy<br>&nbsp; Volume 2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ESP&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; FAT32&nbsp; Partition&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 100 MB&nbsp; Healthy&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; System<br>&nbsp; Volume 3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; D&nbsp;&nbsp; Library&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NTFS&nbsp;&nbsp; Removable&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 116 GB&nbsp; Healthy
    Let me know what yours looks like and we'll move on to the next step.

Here's a better version:

Volume #

Ltr

Label

FS

Type

Size

Status

Info

Volume 0

E

DVD-ROM

0 B

No Media

Volume 1

C

Acer

NTFS

Partition

1829 GB

Healthy

Volume 2

Recovery

NTFS

Partition

600 MB

Healthy

Hidden

Volume 3

ESP

FAT32

Partition

300 MB

Healthy

Hidden

Volume 4

Push Button

NTFS

Partition

32 GB

Healthy

Hidden

Volume 5

D

W7ULT_X86X6

NTFS

Removable

57 GB

Healthy

• billsey
    Yeah, that looks OK, the ESP partition is bigger at 300MB than what's on my machine but should be OK. Use diskpart to assign a drive letter to that partition, you'll remove it later. Lets say you use the drive letter K:, then from that command prompt enter:

<div>cd /d K:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\<br></div><div>bootrec /FixBoot</div>
    That *should* rebuild the UEFI boot records. If it doesn't then the next step is to try it again, but from a boot off the Windows 10 install media. Your disk should be GPT, if it's no longer GPT then change it from MBR. MBR is only used when not booting from UEFI.
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

Okay, I entered the commands from DISKPART> like you said and it brought me to a large alphabetized list of roughly 40 commands.  From that list I chose ASSIGN which I typed, then pressed enter and got a message saying There is no volume specified.  Please select a volume and try again.  I typed k: and pressed enter thinking that's what I was being asked to do, and I was brought back to the 40-command list, but this time at the bottom in DISKPART I'm getting the command list vol.  Not sure where to go from here.  Another question:  When you say my disk should be GPT, are you referring to the ISO image on my USB flash drive?
  • billsey
    You're just missing the SELECT command. List the volumes, select the correct one by number, then assign the letter. GPT will be any drive you wish to boot from. Converting from MBR to GPT doesn't destroy any data so you should be safe to convert if needed.
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

This issue remains unsolved.  I must have somehow accepted an answer by mistake.  Anyway, I've tried with my relatively small knowledge, to implement your suggestions in several ways.  In all honesty, I don't feel that I am fully comprehending what you're saying since again, this is all new to me.  I did manage to finally assign a new letter (R:) to volume 3 using the select volume 3 command which I learned about elsewhere.  Then, still in DiskPart, I entered the commands you instructed: cd /d R:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    bootrec /FixBoot (is this part supposed to be on two lines with an enter after cd /d R:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\?)
    I also tried exiting DiskPart before typing the above commands (cd /d R:\EFI, etc.) which resulted in the message "The system cannot find the path specified."  Both ways were followed by me typing exit to leave the cmd screen.  I then restarted using the boot manager as the 1st priority in the BIOS.  Still getting the same result.  I'm not sure if this is because I'm not doing it correctly or because of something else.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited August 2019 Answer ✓
    @solidterry

If you need to retrieve your data (important personal files), you can get your data using Notepad from command prompt.  Or you could get an external USB enclosure.

https://appuals.com/how-to-backup-files-from-command-prompt/

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01MZC303G?ref_=Oct_MWishedForC_160354011_1&pf_rd_r=41BVECWXBYNR725Q0H69&pf_rd_p=6616413b-1c60-55ef-a1ae-ef9578b5d282&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=160354011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

My advice is to abandon Windows 7 and buy Windows 10.  I'm assuming you didn't get the free upgrade.

To wipe your HDD and start over fresh with Windows 10 follow steps below.

1.  Backup your important personal files using aforementioned method(s)
    2. Purchase Windows 10.  If you already have a Windows 10 license for your TC-605, you can get that free from here.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-English-Flash-Drive/dp/B075RM5BHV

3.  Go in to your BIOS settings and set "launch CSM" to "Never" and enable the F12 boot menu and enable secure boot and then save/exit
    4. Boot your Windows 10 USB and select Custom installation
    5. Delete all of your HDD's partitions
    6. After you delete your partitions, press and hold your computer's power button until it shuts off.
    7. Turn on your computer and install Windows 10.  Select Custom installation.  Click on your HDD (it should say "unallocated space") and then click "Next" and the Windows installer will automatically install Windows 10 as UEFI/EFI/GPT.
    8. All of your drivers will be automatically downloaded by Windows 10
    9 That's it.  Windows will automatically update itself to the latest version.  And you can enter your product key whenever microsoft asks for it.

I have a TC-605 and Windows 10 works great....good luck.

I installed an SSD and installed Windows 10 on that, but that's optional.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

Thanks so much for your response, Jordan.  I will study the options you presented and let you know if that works for me or if I have any questions.  As for Windows 10, I just bought a new laptop a couple of weeks ago (since I couldn't use my Acer PC) with Windows 10 on it, and it's better than I thought it would be, but I still like Windows 7 better.  But from a practical standpoint, I agree it's better to move on to Windows 10. 
  • billsey
    Especially since Microsoft support for Windows 7 is going away fairly soon...
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Especially since Microsoft support for Windows 7 is going away fairly soon...
    Yep.
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

Thanks so much for your help.  I was able to recover my files using your Notepad command prompt suggestion.  Life is good again.  =) I'm sure to have a question later when I go to wipe the corrupt PC clean and install Windows 10.  Have a blessed day.  :)
  • solidterry

Tinkerer

JordanB said:
    @solidterry

If you need to retrieve your data (important personal files), you can get your data using Notepad from command prompt.  Or you could get an external USB enclosure.

https://appuals.com/how-to-backup-files-from-command-prompt/

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01MZC303G?ref_=Oct_MWishedForC_160354011_1&pf_rd_r=41BVECWXBYNR725Q0H69&pf_rd_p=6616413b-1c60-55ef-a1ae-ef9578b5d282&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=160354011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

My advice is to abandon Windows 7 and buy Windows 10.  I'm assuming you didn't get the free upgrade.

To wipe your HDD and start over fresh with Windows 10 follow steps below.

1.  Backup your important personal files using aforementioned method(s)
    2. Purchase Windows 10.  If you already have a Windows 10 license for your TC-605, you can get that free from here.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-English-Flash-Drive/dp/B075RM5BHV

3.  Go in to your BIOS settings and set "launch CSM" to "Never" and enable the F12 boot menu and enable secure boot and then save/exit
    4. Boot your Windows 10 USB and select Custom installation
    5. Delete all of your HDD's partitions
    6. After you delete your partitions, press and hold your computer's power button until it shuts off.
    7. Turn on your computer and install Windows 10.  Select Custom installation.  Click on your HDD (it should say "unallocated space") and then click "Next" and the Windows installer will automatically install Windows 10 as UEFI/EFI/GPT.
    8. All of your drivers will be automatically downloaded by Windows 10
    9 That's it.  Windows will automatically update itself to the latest version.  And you can enter your product key whenever microsoft asks for it.

I have a TC-605 and Windows 10 works great....good luck.

I installed an SSD and installed Windows 10 on that, but that's optional.

I finally got around to trying to install Windows 10 per your advice.  I ran into an issue with item number 3 in your list.  The computer will only boot the Windows 10 USB when "launch CSM" is set to Always, with "secure boot" disabled.  Set at Never, I get the message "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key".
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @solidterry

Did you buy the pre-made  Windows 10 USB?  Or did you create the Windows 10 USB yourself using the microsoft media creation tool?
    I'm not an Acer employee.