Why is my touchpad on my new Chromebook Spin 15 not working properly?

jpm206
jpm206 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just got a new Chromebook (my 4th), and when I use any double finger function with my fingers together, it doesn't work.  Most significant is the scrolling function.  If I have my two fingers together and try to scroll, the arrow just goes up and down as if I am touching with one finger, but if I spread my fingers apart, it functions normally.  It only does this intermittently--at times it works properly with my fingers together.  The longer I am on it, the worse it gets.  I have already returned and purchased a replacement, and it does the exact same thing.  Since it is only intermittent, on both of the machines I purchased, and works properly when I spread my fingers apart, I do not think it is due to user error, defective machine, or slow loading time.  Chromebook is fully updated.  I really want to make this device work, but I don't know that I can live with this issue.  Anyone else have this machine and experience the same issue?  Any way to fix it??

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    >>>works properly when I spread my fingers apart>>>

This is how mine works. If my fingers are too close together it may sometimes register differently. This is normal. Some but not much gesture adjustment might be possible in the settings touchpad menu. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• jpm206
    jpm206 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have 3 other chromebooks, and none of them do this.  I have 2 weeks to return this device, so I am currently trying to decide if I can live with it, but I think it is definitely a defect in this model.  I have the same issue when I try to highlight text (also a 2 finger function)--sometimes it works fine, and other times it doesn't.  Acer's customer service was no help, and I can't find any kind of solution online.  
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    >>>The longer I am on it, the worse it gets.  I have already returned and purchased a replacement, and it does the exact same thing. >>>

If it were mine and felt that way, I'd take it back pronto for a refund and shop around for another chromebook with finger sensor resolution better suited to my hand's anatomy. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ