Sp513-51 “no bootable devices”

808g
808g Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I just posted in welcome forum , not sure where concerns should be posted however, here it goes, my laptop worked fine up until this point,  computer was in process of downloading software update for OEM vehicle diagnostic scanner, froze, no response from any keys, held power button to shutdown and restart, got “no bootable devices”. got into bios ,tried f9 &f10, same results.
Noticed on 1st information tab , after reboot and f2 at times hdd model name and serial number = none, or  liteon cv3-8d256.
Is this an indication that my hdd is failed? And if so , how should a proceed from this point?

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    >>>Noticed on 1st information tab , after reboot and f2 at times hdd model name and serial number = none, or  liteon cv3-8d256.>>>

Does this mean no HDD/SSD at all is listed in the Info tab or only the m.2 SSD card? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 808g
    At different times if it boots up past start screen ,hdd= none or liteon cv3-8d256 in bios information tab. Currently won t go past initial start screen with "acer"logo with  wheel spinning below it,unable to get into bios.
    If my ssd is faulty, what is the correct replacement ssd for this computer? How can I figure out what type/size,etc... To use?
    Is it upgradeable? 
  • JackE
    >>>At different times if it boots up past start screen ,hdd= none or liteon cv3-8d256 in bios information tab. Currently won t go past initial start screen with "acer"logo with  wheel spinning below it,unable to get into bios.>>>

Do NOT wait for the ACER logo screen to appear before trying to get into the BIOS menu. It's already too late when the logo appears. You must press the F2 key IMMEDIATELY after turning the machine on with the power button not wait till after the logo appears. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 808g
    I’ll try again this weekend, thanks for the help.  What m.2 ssd is compatible if I wanted to upgrade memory to 500gb or 1tb?
  • JackE
    You can replace the liteon card with just about any brand or size of m.2 SATA card. Probably the only practical limitation is how much you want to spend. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• 808g
    Will this work ?
  • 808g
    If I’m unable to get system repair disc, will it affect ssd replacement?
  • JackE
    The Samsung is an excellent choice. Should work fine. First try to get the Liteon up and running again by re-seating it in the m.2 slot a few times to help clean its contacts with the mainboard. If  successful, you can easily migrate Windows from the Liteon to the Samsung using an inexpensive USB-to-m.2 port adapter for the Samsung card using MacriumReflect freeware.  If unsuccessful, then you can then use Microsoft's USB installation media tool to re-install Win10 on the new Samsung card for free since your machine already has a Win10 license embedded on its mainboard https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 808g
    This m.2 adaptor will do?

M.2 Enclosure for SATA B/B+M Key NGFF External SSD Reader (NOT for NVME) and Writer Superspeed 5Gbps M2 HDD to USB 3.0 Adapter Support UASP Compatible for 2230 2242 2260 2280

• JackE
    As long is it doesn't cost more than $20, it should be fine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 808g
    So over the weekend I was able to only create “system image.” Tried multiple times even with different jump drives to get “system repair disc” only for it to freeze and say unable to create disc. Now only able to get into bios. What iwould be proper steps to swap ssd 
  • JackE
    Are you using MacriumReflect? Is it having trouble migrating the system to the new Samsung from the old Liteon? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 808g
    I got it to boot up normally 1x, got system image and product key ,but unable to get system recovery disc. Computer froze,and since then never got it to boot up properly. 
  • JackE
    If you tried using ControlPanel's system image and system repair disc functions, you're probably not going to be successful. Did you instead use MacriumReflect? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 808g
    So should i just install new ssd. Get macrium reflect and it will walk me through install? With original ssd through usb?
  • JackE
    Have you actually tried to re-seat the Liteon SSD a half-dozen or so times to clean its contacts with the mainboard? It's very unusual an SSD to fail intermittently like this. More likely it just needs a bit of TLC. Do you know how to remove and re-insert the Liteon yet? Because you're going to have to learn anyway if you want to swap it for the Samsung. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ