Chrome OS is missing or is damaged / No bootable kernel found on disk C740 Series

SomeBoi
SomeBoi Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My cousin had a Chromebook that he didn’t use, and he saw that I needed one so he gave it to me. I used it and it was amazing. But then one day, I was watching YouTube and saw that my battery was low, so I plugged it in. A while later I saw that it was at 100% so I unplugged it and as soon as i unplug it, it goes to the “Chrome OS is missing or is damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.” I’ve done holding esc and f3 then clicking CTRL + D and that gets me to the os verification off thing. Then when it is supposed to go into a recovery mode, it beeps at me twice and then takes me back to the error screen. Please help me fix this because my school starts soon and I need a working chromebook now. I have the C740 Series.

Answers

• Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @SomeBoi ,

Use the following steps to restore the Chrome OS:

1. Turn off your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold the Esc key and refresh (F3) key and then press the power button to turn on the Chromebook.
    3. The Chromebook will boot to Developer Mode. Press Ctrl + D to turn off OS verification.
    4. When prompted to turn OS verification off, press Enter and the Chromebook will restart.
    5. At the OS verification is OFF screen, do not press the spacebar. The recovery process will start automatically after approximately 15 seconds.
    6. The restore process takes about 5 minutes. A progress bar appears at the top of the screen.
    7. The Chromebook restarts and prompts to re-enable verification. Press the spacebar.
    8. Press Enter to confirm that you wish to turn OS verification on.
    9. OS verification is back on and Chromebook reboots automatically.
    10. The "Welcome!" screen will be displayed and you can complete the on screen instructions.

Your Chromebook is now set to factory default settings.

Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    SomeBoi said:
    My cousin had a Chromebook that he didn’t use, and he saw that I needed one so he gave it to me. I used it and it was amazing. But then one day, I was watching YouTube and saw that my battery was low, so I plugged it in. A while later I saw that it was at 100% so I unplugged it and as soon as i unplug it, it goes to the “Chrome OS is missing or is damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card.” I’ve done holding esc and f3 then clicking CTRL + D and that gets me to the os verification off thing. Then when it is supposed to go into a recovery mode, it beeps at me twice and then takes me back to the error screen. Please help me fix this because my school starts soon and I need a working chromebook now. I have the C740 Series.
    Hi ,
    If the above steps do not resolve the problem, you can create a recovery drive from a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer, and use it to restore your chromebook ;

To reinstall Chrome OS using a USB flash drive, you must have a PC with internet access and a 4GB or larger USB flash drive. To create your USB flash drive, visit our Create a USB Recovery Flash Drive for your Chromebook article.

Use the following steps to reinstall your Chrome OS with a USB Recovery Flash Drive.

1. Press and hold the Esc key and refresh (F3) key and then press the power button to turn on the Chromebook.
    2. The Chromebook will boot to Developer Mode. Insert your Chromebook USB recovery flash drive.
    3. The integrity of the recovery media is verified, then the system is recovered from the USB flash drive. This process takes about 10 minutes to complete.
    4. Once the system recovery is complete, unplug the USB flash drive.
    5. The Chromebook will restart automatically.
    6. Follow the on-screen instructions on the Welcome! screen.

Your Chromebook is now back to factory default settings.

Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• NickiV
    NickiV Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hello,

I tried that and it brings me back to the error acreen.  I pushed tab to get this information.  Recovery reason Ox5b/OsLO - no bootable kernel found on disk.  It's still under manufacturer 's warranty.  Model BAN ON D25-J7A-23Q-A3T. Acer Chrome book 15.  The phone line is closed. 
    Please help!
  • NickiV
    NickiV Member Posts: 4 New User
    I don't have an USB recovery flash drive.  I just want to reset it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    There are two main possibilities that give that error. First is a corrupted drive, sometimes you can just do a powerwash and it'll be fixed, sometimes you have to reinstall the OS from a flash drive. Second is a failed drive, that pretty much requires a motherboard replacement on most Chromebooks, since their drives are usually soldered to the MB. Unfortunately, if both of the first options don't work you are pretty much down to the last, and it's usually cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old one. If you are in warranty now is the time to contact Acer support.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.