Acer Chromebook 14 CB3 431, screen flicker when moving screen

t8769
t8769 Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited August 2019 in Chromebooks
The screen flickers when moving the top of the chromebook. When screen stationary, no flickers.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
It seems to be entirely to do with movement of the screen.

Thank you

Answers

• t8769
    PS Its a CB3 431, 2017
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It's likely an issue with the cable that goes between the motherboard and the display. It's routed through areas near the hinges and gets flexed each and every time you open or close the Chromebook. This can, over time, either pull the cable partially out of the connector at one end or start to break some of the wire strands where the cable is flexed. If the problem is the former you can just pop it apart and fully plug in the cable ends, perhaps adding some tape to help hold them in. If it's the latter the fix is to replace the cable. Either requires skills needed for laptop tear down and reassembly and a good grounded work surface along with a grounding strap used by the technician doing the repair.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • t8769
    Yes, it seems so, I'm surprised, the laptop is only 1 year old, Acer usually have better quality products. Should not break after 1 year.
    thanks

• thank_u
    thank_u Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had the same issue. If I take it to Acer, any rough idea of what it may cost? Is it worth it? Appreciate your response. Thanks!