Acer Predator PH315-52-78VL (2019) Two of Three USB 3.0 ports not working.

ScoobyDo
ScoobyDo Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
  My brand new Acer Predator PH315-52-78VL (2019) Laptop has 4 USB  ports. If I am sitting in front of my Laptop there are two USB 3.0 ports on the Left side (my left). On the right side (my right) there is 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB(c) port. All ports were working - (USB(c) was never checked).
  I have been using the Logitech gaming mouse 600 and Logitech gaming keypad G13 along with the Logitech gaming software without any issues.
I used several USB flashdrives (Philips 32GB 2.0, Lexar 16GB 2.0, PNY 64GB 2.0 And Western Digital My Passport external hard drive 2TB)

Now I am having the following problems:
Nothing that I plug into the two USB 3.0 ports on the Left side (my left) produce any kind of system responce except the Western Digital My Passport.

The WD my pasport reports the following Windows error:
    "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."
 Recommendation:
    "Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not reconize it, your device may not be working properly." 

The USB 3.0 port on the right side of my laptop (My Right) works fine with all the devices that do not work or report errorrs on the left two USB 3.0 ports. With this information I assume the issue is with the USB ports and not with the devices I am attaching.

I have tried updating all of the drivers (All reported best driver already installed)
I have tried hardware and devices troubleshooting.
I have tried uninstalling everything under Universal Serial Bus Controller.
I have updated the Bios from InsydeH20 BIOS v1.03 to InsydeH20 BIOS v1.05.
I have reinstalled Windows several times.
I have used the factory default reset to reinstall windows.
I have used the factory default setting in the BIOS.

Product: Acer Predator PH315-52-78VL (2019)    
Processor: Intel(R)  Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (6) Cores
L1 cache 384 KB
L2 cache 1536 KB
BIOS version: V1.05 (InsydeH20 BIOS)
Memory: 16GB DDR4
Hard Drive: 238.47GB, Kingston (SSD)
Graphics Device 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti
Graphics Device 2: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
---------------------------------------------------------------
USB DEVICES:
Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
  Driver file- DRIVERS\UMDF\UsbXhciCompanion.dll
  Driver file- DRIVERS\USBXHCI.SYS
NVIDIA USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
  Driver file- DRIVERS\UMDF\UsbXhciCompanion.dll
  Driver file- DRIVERS\USBXHCI.SYS
NVIDIA USBType-C Port Policy Controler
  Driver file- DRIVERS\UcmCxUcsiNvppc.sys
USB Composite Device
  Driver file- DRIVERS\usbccgp.sys
USB Composite Device
  Driver file- DRIVERS\usbccgp.sys
USB Root Hub (3.0)
  Driver file- DRIVERS\USBHUB3.SYS
USB Root Hub (3.0)
  Driver file- DRIVERS\USBHUB3.SYS
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Answer

• ScoobyDo

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I figured this issue out. I unplugged the laptop and unhooked the battery for about 2 minutes. When I hooked it back up both dead USB ports were working again. I tested them with all of my usual USB gadgets and had no issues. I hope this helps someone.

Answers

• ScoobyDo

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I figured this issue out. I unplugged the laptop and unhooked the battery for about 2 minutes. When I hooked it back up both dead USB ports were working again. I tested them with all of my usual USB gadgets and had no issues. I hope this helps someone.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    ScoobyDo said:
    you didnt need to uplug the battery theres the battery powerdrain switch for that purpose :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ForlorNz
    ForlorNz Member Posts: 21 Networker
    xapim said:
    ScoobyDo said:
    you didnt need to uplug the battery theres the battery powerdrain switch for that purpose :)
    Where? Just incase if this happens to me too
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited August 2019
    ForlorNz you have a battery pinhole with an icon under the laptop usually near the ram compartment just press/hold it for 30s let the laptop rest for 2/3h to completely drain any left static energy in the components and after reset bios to defaults and boot into windows this procedure usually fixes most issues also in some rare cases the cmos battery might be depleted or the power kill switch in the ram compartment its not properly pressed

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ScoobyDo

Tinkerer

xapim said:
    ForlorNz you have a battery pinhole with an icon under the laptop usually near the ram compartment just press/hold it for 30s let the laptop rest for 2/3h to completely drain any left static energy in the components and after reset bios to defaults and boot into windows this procedure usually fixes most issues also in some rare cases the cmos battery might be depleted or the power kill switch in the ram compartment its not properly pressed

Thank you for your answer. I have a few questions. I'm almost old and can't see for looking. when you say:
    - "you have a battery pinhole with an icon under the laptop". Is this under the lid (as in the keyboard area) or on the bottom of the laptop?
    - "usually near the ram compartment". Are we talking inside the case on the motherboard or something more along the lines of a tiny hole you might stick a toothpick into?

I looked all over the entire outside of the laptop and didn't notice any battery pinholes. I was wearing my glasses too. I want to make sure I am looking in the right places.
    --- Warning --- Unimportant story below ----
    I was actually preparing the laptop to be shipped to wherever acre has them repaired. I had spent all day trying to remove and reinstall driver and reinstalling/restoring windows. I finally gave up and contacted acre for a repair. Before I removed my secondary SSD, I unhooked the battery. When I was checking it over one last time I realized that the USBs were working like nothing had ever happened. I was really happy and really mad at the same time.
  • Greatscottz
    Greatscottz Member Posts: 1 New User
    ScoobyDo, I registered just to say you are a genius and I love you.
    Thanks d00d
  • DiegoMarzo
    DiegoMarzo Member Posts: 2 New User
    ScoobyDo, I registered just to say you are a genius and I love you.
    Thanks d00d
    @ScoobyDo
  • Matt86
    Matt86 Member Posts: 4 New User
    @ScoobyDo
    Hello ! sorry for the stupid question but i'm not english native and i had the same issue as your:

I unplugged the laptop --> i removed the AC cable from my laptop

and unhooked the battery for about 2 minutes. --> i can't get the meaning of this !!!! what i have to do to unhook the battery ??

Thank you in advance

• Matt86
    Matt86 said:
    @ScoobyDo
    Hello ! sorry for the stupid question but i'm not english native and i had the same issue as your:

and unhooked the battery for about 2 minutes. --> i can't get the meaning of this !!!! what i have to do to unhook the battery ??

Thank you in advance

UPDATE:
    you have to phisically  open the back of your pc and remove the wire (the only one) connected to the battery 

By the way IT WORKED !!! thank you in advance, i hope i've not to it too many times =S

See ya
  • Matt86
    @ScoobyDo

Thank you in advance