E5-573G-52G3 video_tdr_failure igdkmd64.sys

Tishwan
Tishwan Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, my E5-573G-52G3 encountered a problem after some combination of windows and display driver updates.  Long story short, I reformatted and a fresh install is not working well with Intel HD 5500 driver.  I keep getting terrible artifacts, and display crashes that seem to be the computer trying different resolutions and windows error reporting executing.  Eventually, it BSODs with a video_tdr_failure igdkmd64.sys  Currently, the microsoft basic screen adapter is allowing the laptop to operate, but this is not ideal.  The Nvidia driver doesn't seem to have any issues with windows, but any intel driver I have tried has resulted in the same display errors and eventual BSOD. System events log shows warning: Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Windows Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362
Nvidia Driver Version    26.21.14.3136

Any insights on what could be causing the conflict with the Intel driver would be appreciated.

Answers

• Have you tried installing the driver provided by Acer?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tishwan

Tinkerer

I did try installing the driver by acer as well as going directly to intel for a version from a few years ago.
  • Have you tried upgrading the uefi firmware to the latest version? It is a risky procedure and should be done with caution. There are many updates regarding video card in bios, see: https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/5977?b=1
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tishwan

Tinkerer

Is there a way to determine what may have already been installed?  I haven't messed with bios options yet for the reasons you allude to, but it may be the next step I have to take.
  • I would try before, reinstall windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo. Then I would try to update uefi!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tishwan

Tinkerer

#1 Thanks for the assistance; it's appreciated.
    #2 I updated the bios, after another format and clean windows install, and I'm having the same issue with Intel drivers.   I got stuck in a boot/BSOD loop with the same video TDR failure due to igdkmd64.sys.  It's odd to me that a fresh install is giving me issues since there's nothing to conflict other than windows, intel, and NVidia as far as video at this point. 
    Thanks again

• Have you tried installing the drivers provided by Acer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tishwan

Tinkerer

Yes, I just attempted the Acer drivers again.  BSOD'd. It performed no better than the ones I get from the Intel driver utility.
  • Try uninstalling and deleting the intel and nvidia video drivers, and then restarting the notebook:

Then go to windows update and let windows download and install the proper driver.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tishwan

Tinkerer

Well, I did a complete format of the drive, reinstalled windows (Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362), Bios version 1.37, and had tried using windows update to find the most recent driver, but was unsuccessful.  The computer tries to start Windows, and the screen goes to black, and eventually BSODs with the same error I have been seeing, so I shouldn't have any residue from any other drivers.

• Does the Acer logo appear on the notebook monitor? Have you tried resetting the internal battery?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tishwan

Tinkerer

Yes, acer logo shows up on boot, but if the intel driver is installed the display goes black and will act like the resolution is being changed while the iqfx driver stops and recovers.  I tried resetting the internal battery, and that didn't make a difference.
  • Is the image displayed on an external monitor?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tishwan

Tinkerer

No the same effect happens on an external monitor as well.
  • What is the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tishwan

Tinkerer

1.37 according to dxdiag
  • Have you tried reinstalling windows again?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tishwan

Tinkerer

I made a media creation USB from another windows 10 computer, to get windows installed after formatting the drive. However, the windows update agent attempts to update the video driver as part of the instillation process and it fails less than a minute after the driver startup process starts.  The event viewer gives warnings that the iqfx driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered, which repeats every 2 to 5 seconds, which is where I'm able to see the screen on the laptop look like it's changing resolution, though it remains black.  I roll the driver back to the basic windows driver, and i have not been able to find an intel driver that won't fail right after update.
  • Have you tried to update drivers with driverbooster or driverpack?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tishwan

Tinkerer

No, I've just attempted with exe files from Acer or Intel.