Strange freeze bug - Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52

2»

Answers

• Entrias
    Entrias Member Posts: 2 New User
    II get the same thing but in Overwatch, or any direct x based game, i can play minecraft all day. this has ***** me off so much i basicly only use this laptop for a youtube box at this point.

ive made a post on LTT forums dunno if i can link out to it
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Although your computer has a later version of Direct x installed you will still need direct x 9.0c so download and install it. if it solves your problem click "YES" to accepted answer
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• BogdanX904
    BogdanX904 Member Posts: 51 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    So I was watching a livestream and my laptop randomly froze. I turned it off and on(by holding the power button for 10 seconds) and I got this while it was turning on.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    That's just fixing file corruption errors from an abnormal shutdown. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aziroazide
    Aziroazide Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Hello all,
    I bought my Acer Nitro AN515-52 couple of months ago and since then it has undergone more than a dozen of services but the initial problem still persists and the engineer that comes for repair seem unable to understand the problem. It's the same problem with me i.e. I was playing Dota2 and all of a sudden the game froze, I checked if it was over heating but the temperature was normal and I had to force restart it. I've complained a couple of times, every time the engineer comes and reinstalls windows and couple of weeks later same problem arises. It's not just with Dota2, it happens with any graphic requiring task and not just games. My Spyder froze and all of a sudden I lost all my data as I had to reboot it.

Kindly help, as I came earlier to this forum too and have tried everything that you guys have told to do.
    Thank you.
    Specs:

• JackE
    >>>every time the engineer comes and reinstalls windows and couple of weeks later same problem arises.>>>

Open ControlPanel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up is System Protection turned on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Have you set up the Nvidia Control Center correctly? Please follow all my instructions below

Make sure you do this below and always game on 100% battery BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming, in your Windows Power plan select High Performance when on AC and in Nitrosense make sure High performance is selected under "AC" tab

1. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people

2. Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Spritan
    Spritan Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello everyone i also have struggled much with this problem after many experiments i have seen tat it is due to most chromium based browsers so turning hardware acceleration in your browser of choice should do it i had the same problem with Vivaldi, chrome, edge and also brave but turning off hardware acceleration in each was the cure so it. if the issue still remains try switching to Firefox and even than it remains than it may be a hardware related problem
  • JackE
    Thanks for your observations. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dirk01
    Dirk01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I think the problem is in the hard disk. I have Acer Aspire 7 i7 7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti, 8GB RAM and my HDD Wesern Digital Blue 1 terabyte is installed as file storage. I noticed that I have friezes in games (the so-called stuttering) when the action performed, for example, detonation of explosives in Hitman 2 - for the first time the action in the location occurs with a delay of about a second. In Mafia III, the frieze can occur during the first collision with another car after starting the game. In Watch_Dogs 2, I could not play due to the abundant number of friezes at the beginning of the game process in the first 15 minutes of launch, I transferred it to the SSD and this solved the problem. I think the problem with other games is precisely this - HDD mobile class and has the appropriate nuances like a very frequent head parking. However, this problem in the form of friezes does not apply to other games - such as BF1, GTA 5 or Far Cry 5. And some not very demanding indie projects may have a this problem, and some AAA projects are not. It's makes me think that the problem lies in the features of mobile HDD, because SSD or faster HDD (for example, WD Black series) should solve this problem.

(sorry for google translate, i'm not fluent in english)
    Just created an account to leave my "me too" post here. Last year I bought a Nitro 5 equipped with a 1 Tb HDD, to which I later added an M.2 SSD 256 Gb drive. I'm pretty sure this audio problem wasn't there at first and only reared its ugly head after I installed the SSD. Most of the games that I install on the HDD stutter visibly whenever a new audio clip is loaded-- how disruptive this is depends on the game, but even small indie titles are affected. Tested with a small game —Cursed Treasure 2— and EVERY new sample that plays in the game (stored in the HDD as individual .ogg files) freezes the game for a few seconds. Installing the game on the SSD seems to do away with the issue.

Needless to say, the whole point of getting a small SSD was for it to host the time-sensitive system files and applications while leaving the big HDD for storing games, documents, etc., so the constant sound skipping is incredibly infuriating. After searching high and low for a solution, trying all sorts of tests on every game and component (including latency monitoring) and reading other users' reports on the net, my take is that either this laptop has an issue with a dual SSD/HDD setup or it's somehow imposing aggressive power-saving measures on the HDD (already tinkered with Power Plans in Windows with zero effect) that force a spindown after a ridiculously short time-- one or two seconds of inactivity. My suspicion is that the skipping audio results from the constant HDD spinups that happen when a data read is required.

There are a few programs like quiethdd that help alleviate the issue by managing the HDD spindown times, but it still feels like a band-aid on an problem which shouldn't exist in the first place, especially in a so-called gaming laptop.

• BogdanX904
    BogdanX904 Member Posts: 51 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Yeah it's still happening and the laptop is barely usable. It's a defect that acer service won't fix.
  • LucasNicoletti
    LucasNicoletti Member Posts: 8 New User
    i have a similar problem, but it only happens if i press certain parts of the laptop (i.e. by pressing near the turn off/on button) 
    maybe its something with a loose screw? 
  • lastprohunter
    lastprohunter Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yeah it's still happening and the laptop is barely usable. It's a defect that acer service won't fix.
    Bro did you already solved it? cause i got the same problem here with a same type acer nitro 5 an5152. this is bad product