2015 E15 (E5-571P-30QR) touchpad about to die!

sktn77a
sktn77a Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi All: 

First post.  My 2015 E15 (E5-571P-30QR) touchpad is about to die on me.  The touchpad is well worn and a thorough cleaning every hour restores function but only temporarily.  I would like to know if the touchpad is available separate from the palmrest/keyboard and, if so, how difficult is replacement?  I don't mind opening up a laptop to work on it but if there are any landmines, I like to know in advance!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Keith

Best Answer

• sktn77a

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Just a brief follow-up to my saga.  The touchpad arrived today - USED not new (advertised on AliExpress as new) but in otherwise good condition, arrived fairly quickly (2 weeks) and it works.  

So all's well that ends well!

Keith

Answers

• sktn77a

Tinkerer

Oh, and it's not the driver issue.
  • sktn77a

Tinkerer

Bump, for old time's sake....................
  • sktn77a

Tinkerer

Anybody........  Bueller.........  Anybody??????
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi @sktn77a,

Is the unit under the warranty? 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • sktn77a

Tinkerer

Unfortunately not.  I think its just time to replace it.  I must confess, I don't expect these things to physically wear out after only 3-4 years.  I even get around 10 years useful life out of my other computers before they become obsolete (hardware/software).
  • christy1
    sktn77a said:
    Unfortunately not.  I think its just time to replace it.  I must confess, I don't expect these things to physically wear out after only 3-4 years.  I even get around 10 years useful life out of my other computers before they become obsolete (hardware/software).
    Did you tried to reinstall the touchpad drivers or resetting the pc?
  • sktn77a

Tinkerer

Yes, I did.  I read about some issues with the touchpad drivers so I tried that first.  Also wiped the computer and reloaded everything.  Nada.  Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's a physical (hardware) issue with the touchpad.
  • christy1
    sktn77a said:
    Yes, I did.  I read about some issues with the touchpad drivers so I tried that first.  Also wiped the computer and reloaded everything.  Nada.  Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's a physical (hardware) issue with the touchpad.
    There is an authorized part partner in our forum and hope he will contact you soon. 
  • Kev0806
    Kev0806 Member, Parts Partner Posts: 89 Authorized Parts Partner
    @sktn77a
    Please private message me with your SNID or Serial number and I will provide you the part number and price for the part you are looking for. 
    SourceITstore.ca
    "How Can We Help?"
    Your Partners in IT
    866-414-9303
  • sktn77a

Tinkerer

Thanks guys, PM sent.

• christy1
    sktn77a said:
    Thanks guys, PM sent.

Your welcome my friend. :) 
  • sktn77a

Tinkerer

Hi Kev:  PM'd the SNID last week,  did you receive it?
  • Have you tried updating the bios to see if it resolves the issue? Also, is there a function called touchpad in bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sktn77a

Tinkerer

Thanks, yes I tried that.  Drivers are up to date, BIOS is up to date, and touchpad is enables in the BIOS.  The touchpad surface is shiny and I think the mechanism is just worn out.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    OK! Now I understand your question. Maybe this video will help you:
    https://youtu.be/ysEMjTPp4hA
    https://youtu.be/DpawPQrqIq4
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sktn77a

Tinkerer

I didn't find those particular videos when I was looking for disassembly instruction - they would have been much more helpful than the ones I did find!  I got the palmrest/keyboard off and looked at the touchpad assembly - just need to find a replacement.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sktn77a

Tinkerer

Yes, thanks, I saw that - "Out of Stock".
  • You already checked on alliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32893907409.html

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sktn77a

Tinkerer

Yes, I had.  I don't like dealing with AliExpress (they have all kinds of add-on fees and slow-as-molasses shipping) but I guess I'm getting desperate so I ordered it from them today.  I'll let you know when it arrives. 

Don't hold your breath!

;)