C720 Doesn't power on but tries (Fan jumps for a sec, blue led blinks then goes black)

Kilroy5150
Kilroy5150 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

There is no display, at all so the REFRESH + POWER issue (or pressing power for 30-90 seconds, tried it, it's off the table as well) isn't an option, already tried that MANY times. 

I've tried the following:

1. Unhooking and re-seating the battery. Even tried it, while the power was in, in an attempt to "jump-start" the battery to charge to full.
  2. Unhooking and re-seating the LED (on the screen side).
  3. Unhooking and re-seating the SSD.
  4. Holding down the development button (on the back close to the LCD mount) and powering it up (and pressing refresh too).

None of these efforts have had any effect. Still the same thing when i press POWER, fan kicks for a second then stops and the blue LED flashes (for a moment) then goes black again but the battery remains a constant ORANGE through all of this,.

My question: The battery LED remains orange, could the battery be the reason it's not booting? I've worked on laptops, for YEARS, and sometimes the battery (or the BIOS battery) were the key to making them run again.

In all honesty, i would prefer a "I've dealt with this very same issue and yes/no" person answering me. I'm not interested in the warranty status, it's too old. However, if i can bring this Chromebook back to life, i can put either Linux, OSX, or Windows on it with minimal effort once it's booting again.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    That kind of symptom is often the battery. It kind of depends on how they have designed the power circuit. If the battery is below recharge threshold and the incoming power is only used for the charging circuit then you would see this. If the power is used to fire up the motherboard and the motherboard takes excess power and uses it to charge the battery then it would be the charger that is causing the issue.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kilroy5150
    Kilroy5150 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2019
    I finally got the battery to turn blue but...I was toying around with the development button on the back that's close to the LCD mount and, every time i press it, it goes from blue to orange. It still acts like it's a bad battery issue more than anything. I could spend $12 getting a used one (that's supposed to be verified good at 70%) and find out but i do hate wasting money if that's not the issue.

PS: This is the dumbest email i may have gotten in my life from Acer 

Congratulations! You've been promoted to New User.

I went from being a new user.....to a "new user" a day after i registered :bleep_bloop:
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    That's what you get for reaching that significant milestone of one post. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.