Swift 3 SF314-54 keyboard problem potential solution

bananabendera
bananabendera Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Problem description

Hi all, just wanted to share a potential fix for this infuriating issue where certain keys do not work (a,x,c,n). I had tried removing the driver and restarting multiple times which didn't work. Also tried changing settings (in the latest BIOS) and using the battery disconnect pinhole. This issue had persisted through Linux and Windows installs too so it obviously isn't an OS problem. The keys would sometimes randomly partially start working if I spammed the malfunctioning keys individually.

My solution:

With caution, press down firmly on the laptop, just in front of the keyboard, on either side of the touch pad such that the brushed metal flexes down.

This restored proper functionality for my keyboard. Not an ideal fix, probably not even permanent, but hopefully this can help someone who doesn't have the option of waiting/paying for a service.

Best Answer

• bananabendera
    Answer ✓
    Hi all, just wanted to provide an update on this. Got sick of having to press down and bend the laptop and it seems I have found a permanent solution.

I decided to open the laptop back up after reading the following threads: Swift 3 won't turn on. Swift 3 KB Degrades.

Upon opening the laptop, like other times I couldn't notice that the keyboard cable was in any way damaged or inserted wrong, as the white line was as far in as I could get it, and seemed level/flush with the port. The user in the second thread I listed gave a good image, A and B are little plastic tabs you pull out to release the cable, while C is the battery cable:

From my issue, it seemed that somehow, one of the pins for one of the conductors in the keyboard's flex/ribbon cable wasn't contacting properly in the port, and pushing down like I described in the OP made proper contact temporarily.

I did the same as the user in the second thread, disconnecting the keyboard and battery cables, and then putting the battery cable through the keyboard cable (KB cable loops around 180), instead of over it. I then also got a small length of electrical tape and wrapped it up into itself to form a soft tube (adhesive on inside), but I'm sure some foam would do the trick too. I placed this soft tube inside the keyboard cable loop, such that it pushes the keyboard cable into the port firmly. I also added some electrical tape running horizontally from A to B (above) to hopefully hold the tabs and cable in a little better. If you use electrical tape you might want to consider using a type that won't leave sticky residue everywhere.
    As you can see, the electrical tape is putting upward pressure on the keyboard cable at point A. This seemed to fix my problem, hope it helps! Let me know if more explanation is needed.

Answers

• Have you tried opening the notebook to see if it is a badly docked cable? This is the inside of your notebook:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bananabendera
    Have you tried opening the notebook to see if it is a badly docked cable?
    I have poked around inside before, but couldn't recognise any cables that were improperly connected.
  • Could you record a video with this solution? That way, users could do the procedure correctly!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bananabendera
    Answer ✓
    Hi all, just wanted to provide an update on this. Got sick of having to press down and bend the laptop and it seems I have found a permanent solution.

I decided to open the laptop back up after reading the following threads: Swift 3 won't turn on. Swift 3 KB Degrades.

Upon opening the laptop, like other times I couldn't notice that the keyboard cable was in any way damaged or inserted wrong, as the white line was as far in as I could get it, and seemed level/flush with the port. The user in the second thread I listed gave a good image, A and B are little plastic tabs you pull out to release the cable, while C is the battery cable:

From my issue, it seemed that somehow, one of the pins for one of the conductors in the keyboard's flex/ribbon cable wasn't contacting properly in the port, and pushing down like I described in the OP made proper contact temporarily.

I did the same as the user in the second thread, disconnecting the keyboard and battery cables, and then putting the battery cable through the keyboard cable (KB cable loops around 180), instead of over it. I then also got a small length of electrical tape and wrapped it up into itself to form a soft tube (adhesive on inside), but I'm sure some foam would do the trick too. I placed this soft tube inside the keyboard cable loop, such that it pushes the keyboard cable into the port firmly. I also added some electrical tape running horizontally from A to B (above) to hopefully hold the tabs and cable in a little better. If you use electrical tape you might want to consider using a type that won't leave sticky residue everywhere.
    As you can see, the electrical tape is putting upward pressure on the keyboard cable at point A. This seemed to fix my problem, hope it helps! Let me know if more explanation is needed.
  • Thanks for sharing this solution! Thanks for sharing this solution! Accept your own answer so that other users can see the solution.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Vincenttjia
    Vincenttjia Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Have you tried opening the notebook to see if it is a badly docked cable? This is the inside of your notebook:

hey could you provide the link to the pdf? Thank you. I want to do my own repair on the SF-314-54G. 
  • Unfortunately we cannot provide the download link, but I can upload some images to assist you.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Vincenttjia

Tinkerer

Unfortunately we cannot provide the download link, but I can upload some images to assist you.
    Thank you for your assistance could you tell me which pin responsible for which key. after trying to repair the axcn works fine but these key dont f4 f5 f6 4 5 6 rtydfgv alt . thank you 
  • The service manual does not contain this information. However, I have verified that there is a function in bios called function key behavior. Have you tried to change it?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Vincenttjia

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    The service manual does not contain this information. However, I have verified that there is a function in bios called function key behavior. Have you tried to change it?
    Yes function key and media key. It's not only the f4 f5 f6 that don't work but also r t y d f g v and alt.

Backstory: I left my laptop in Acer service center for 4 days and got a confirmation that I should pay IDR 800K for a keyboard replacement. After taking it back from the Acer service center refusing to pay the 800K(I should be in warranty but they says it's the keyboard not the cable, basically a rip off). axcn work but the mention above doesn't
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Have you tried just purchasing the keyboard? I think it is possible to replace only the keyboard by following the procedures in this video:
    https://youtu.be/cHC34Tl7PAw

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hi Vincenttjia,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into keyboard issues. I can certainly understand the frustration,i have sent you a PM asking for more information to better assist you.

Thank you,

Acer-Manny

• Hunchieboy
    Hunchieboy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just in case anyone, like me, stumbles into this thread with the same symptoms (afxc keys not working). Please make sure you have already checked for software and driver updates first.

I just ran an update whilst I pulled out my tools to try the above recommended approach… the software update fixed it for my aced swift.

thanks all
  • @HunchieboyCan you specify which software you upgraded?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AllardBakker
    AllardBakker Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks man, did this. And it solved the problem!

This discussion has been closed.