can i lunch erecovery from another drive?

andresrgv
andresrgv Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
so here's the deal, I have my laptop normally working, of course me acting in a typical fashion never got around to do a restoration point for my laptop, so i needed to back up some files from my desktop pc into a backup partition I had created in m laptop pretty much since i got it new, I proceeded to take out my laptops hard drive and plugged into my computer, I copy all the files I needed into my laptop hard drive (backup partition) and everything is good so far, then I took it out of my pc and plugged it back into my laptop, the laptop booted normally although I noticed something quite strange, pretty much non of the files that backed up are shown in my back up partition, in fact it's like they weren't copied whatsoever then the laptop throws a blue screen and then I can boot no more, I tried every of the comand "fixes" and pretty much anything worked.

I have another partition in my laptop hard drive and what I did was installed a windows in that empty partition, now I can access the files, and see the partition where the broken os is, this allows me to look for the erecovery that my laptop came with, but when i lunch it it says "hard drive configuration is not set to the factory default" so basically my question is: any way possible to configure something in order to lunch erecovery from this other partition and get the laptop to factory? 

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon andresrgv !

Have you tried simply performing the factory OEM system restore with ALT + F10?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

hi bro thanks for answering, yes I think I have, is that the one that give you the option to go back to a previous version? because I have pretty much tried all that, I just don't remember the names and anything seems to work
  • MaClane
    ALT + F10 reinstalls your ALL system from the factory.
    To do this, simply press these keys when you turn the power on before the Acer logo is displayed.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

mine it's actually a gateway but I did as you said anyway and saw no results, i was take to the recovery screen
  • MaClane
    In this case, I believe you should try a new installation with an ISO baxada directly from the Microsoft website.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

I'm afraid so, I'm like looking to the last alternative before doing that 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    >>>I copy all the files I needed into my laptop hard drive (backup partition) and everything is good so far,>>>

What do you mean by 'copy'. If all you used was FileExplore 'copy & paste' function, then no changes would've been made to the laptop drive. Did you perhaps use some other method to 'copy'? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

yup, just copy & paste using the windows explorer, then I reinstall the drive in my laptop, booted normally, noticed that non of the files I just copied were there, got a little angry, bum, bluescreen and boot no more
  • JackE
    As for your personal files, seems like some inadvertent 'cut & paste' operations happened along with a few system files got taken along for the ride. But you also said with the ALT+F10 cold boot reset >>>mine it's actually a gateway but I did as you said anyway and saw no results, i was take to the recovery screen >>>

The recovery screen is what you want if you followed the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown below. You'd have a choice of an erase everything factory reset or a refresh while trying to save your files. However, if you created a separate data partition, that likely would not be reproduced. Only a custom backup or image could've handled something like that. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

already try that, Didn't work, I don't remember the exact message but it wouldn't let me reset 
  • JackE
    >>>i was take to the recovery screen>>>

Well, what did you mean by this comment then? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

I meant "taken" (got pay attention to my typing) and what I meant by that is that I was taken to that recovery screen, the blue one with the options to reset, the one on the video, but I was there and I tried to reset and the computer just won't reset, don't remember the exact message but it wouldn't reset due to an error, I think the message was something like "an error has occurred" or something like that.

I tried it again after seeing the video but what it does it restart to factory the provisional windows i installed in the empty partition i had.  
  • JackE
    >>>I tried it again after seeing the video but what it does it restart to factory the provisional windows i installed in the empty partition i had. >>>
    What do you mean by 'provisional'? An erase everything reset is supposed to recover the machine's HDD to a factory-fresh out-of-the-box Windows state as when you first purchased the machine and turned it on for the first time. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

I installed a windows in another empty partition that I had in the HDD like i said in the first post. 
  • JackE
    Sorry, mentioned earlier, the hidden ACER recovery partition, and even the ACER store's recovery usb stick specific to your machine's serial number id (SNID), cannot recreate the HDD partitioning scheme that you personally set up and the data thereon. It can only reset or refresh the machine to a factory-shipped system state using the original factory partitioning scheme. Furthermore, if the hidden recovery partition was altered in setting up your re-partitioning scheme, it could've been rendered unusable. If this happened, it'd require either purchasing the ACER-specific Windows recovery USB media or using Microsoft media creation tool to re-install a generic version of Windows. Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

well I don't think the partition scheme is altered, the thing is that in order to lunch erecovery I have to boot the system and I just can't boot
  • JackE
    You said in the very first post >>> I copy all the files I needed into my laptop hard drive (backup partition) >>> There is no factory backup partition unless you personally created it. In doing so, you have altered the HDD's partition scheme which might adversely affect the hidden recovery partition.

However, if the hidden recovery partition is OK, you do NOT have to boot the system to use it. You first completely shut the machine off. Then you turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10. If the hidden partition is still OK, a recovery screen should appear like in the video below in which you can reset to factory fresh condition.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

yes, I personally created some partitons, two to be excat, one for backup and the other one that was empty but even with those partitions created I have recover the laptop before, just that it was done from the desktop. 

if I do as the video the only thing it does is reset to factory the provisional os that I installed in the empty partition, so far no way to reset to factory the main os 
  • JackE
    >>>if I do as the video the only thing it does is reset to factory the provisional os that I installed in the empty partition, so far no way to reset to factory the main os >>>

Sorry, I still don't know what you mean by 'provisional osl'. Do you mean 'dual boot'? In any case, if the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method described earlier doesn't work, then the hidden ACER recovery partition has been damaged or no longer exists. Furthermore, if you backed up data by copying from one Windows or Linux partition to another Windows or Linux partition on the very same HDD, you have not really backed up your data at all.  The data is likely only available by booting a live Windows or Linux operating system from an external USB pendrive and then copying the data from the HDD to another pendrive. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• andresrgv

Tinkerer

I had my os, normal one, as any other laptop. then it got broken, didn't boot any more, no way to use the computer since it doesn't boot, although I had a partition that was empty, not the main one just an empty partition in the laptop's hdd so I installed a windows in that empty partition, that's the provisional os, it's not main one, it just some provisional install i did to access the laptop. call it dual boot if you want, although one of them doesnt boot