acer aspire one problems(Acer Aspire One D255.

twkiv
twkiv Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Hi all
Not sure if anyone can help, but thought I'd put this out there, and hope for the best....

I purchased a used Acer Aspire One D255.
The thing 'looked brand new.  The box was intact, the instructions were still in their shrinkwrap….

Got it home, and discovered that:

a) the battery does not seem to be charging...the person that I bought it from swears that it was charging last time their parents used it, a "long time ago".  I'm wondering if there is a setting that is set incorrectly, or maybe the battery is just shot.

b) there are several websites that I am unable to get to.  I keep on getting error messages that refer back to 'security protocols', and tell me to contact the 'system administrator' (me)….

The tablet is running windows XP, it is 1gb ram.

I have disabled windows firewall and other security software.
I know it is not a problem with my home network, as I have several other computers (including one much older laptop, running XP, that I am able to access my banking on) that run perfectly fine.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Answers

• Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @twkiv ,
    Try doing reset on the unit. follow the below steps;
    1. Start the computer.
    2. Press and hold the F8 key.
    3. At Advanced Boot Options, choose Repair Your Computer.
    4. Press Enter.
    5. Select a keyboard language and click Next.
    6. If prompted, login with an administrative account.
    7. At the System Recovery Options, choose System Restore or Startup Repair (if this is available)
    Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• twkiv
    twkiv Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your response!

Unfortunately, I did not get an option to 'repair my computer'.

I did try 'last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)' option, but this did not seem to make a difference.

Since I posted my initial question, I have tried using firefox, and this seems to have resolved my issues with getting to websites....now what remains is my 'battery charging issues'....any ideas as to why my battery is not charging (other than the battery is shot-which may be the issue, although, I guess I would be surprised....)?

Tom
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    When batteries fully discharge past a certain point it takes too much power to get them started charging again, which causes heat issues and potentially fire. For this reason manufacturers have set a threshold and when A battery drops below that they disable charging. Since there's a tiny drain on the battery even when off (powering the power start circuit, so the button press can be noticed) if you leave it discharged for too long it'll put the battery in that state. Easiest solution is to drop a replacement battery in and even old batteries like this are often available on Amazon and eBay.
    The browser thing is just IE. They stopped updating IE for XP many years ago and the last version supported doesn't handle modern HTTPS encryption. Firefox has a newer version, though I believe their latest also doesn't support XP.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.