SP315 gets stuck repairing windows.

elfixer
elfixer Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I tried to do a windows reset but it hung at 1% and after 30 mins I had to force a shutdown.
Now I am stuck at repairing windows or the spinning windows wheel and nothing happens.
Looking at bios I can see windows boot manager and no other devices.
i can post bios settings as I suspect they are not correct.
If I try a fresh install of win 10 from a usb stick it can not find any hard drives to install windows onto.
If I ALT + F10 it will go through the process but never get anywhere or ever finish.
The bios detects the drive but I can not see it if I try a clean install.
Any help with my bios settings would be great or how to get windows to restart?
I did remove the 1TB drive and check it.
Tests ok and I can see everything is on the drive, windows folder, users etc.
BOOT OPTIONS

DRIVES DETECTED

SECURITY SETTINGS

MAIN BIOS SCREEN

Edited the image as product private information shared - Acer-David

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Why did you try to reset the system in the first place? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    The following steps will completely wipe your HDD and clean install Windows 10

1. On a different computer, download the Windows 10 iso using the Microsoft media creation tool
    2. Use rufus to create your Windows 10 installation media
    3.  Use the rufus settings:  UEFI, GPT, FAT32
    4. After you create your Windows 10 USB media, go in to your Acer BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).
    5. Go back in to your Acer BIOS settings and make sure the F12 boot menu is enabled and then save/exit.
    6.  Boot your Windows 10 USB by tapping the F12 key on your keyboard at the Acer post logo
    7.  When you see the screen below, press Shift+F10 to get a command prompt

8.  At the command prompt type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x    (x is the disk that you want to wipe and clean install Windows)--be careful
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit

9.  Press and hold your computer's power button until it shuts off.
    10.  Turn on your computer and install Windows 10.  Select "install" and then "custom install".  Click on the drive where you want to install Windows (it should say "unallocated space") and then click "Next" and then Windows installer will automatically partition and format your HDD or SSD and automatically install Windows 10.

If you'd prefer to have official Acer OEM recovery media, you can order that from Acer.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/#_ga=2.78223956.1739581224.1562375751-1368388713.1552799898

Note:  If you have important personal files that you need to retrieve/backup before you wipe your drive, https://appuals.com/how-to-backup-files-from-command-prompt/ you can get them at the command prompt using Notepad.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • elfixer
    I had to Reset windows as after an update when logging into windows the desktop would refresh every 4 to 5 secs and I could not open anything.
    I disabled fast boot and also windows error reporting but to no avail.
    I then reset windows as I wanted to use the machine and there are millions of people who refresh their windows install without any issues.
    After resetting  the laptop went through the process then got stuck at 1% for an age so I force shutdown the laptop.
    JordanB I will try this tomorrow as I do not have the laptop with me ATM.
    I will let you know how I go.
    Thanks

• elfixer
    Hi JordanB,
    I made a rufus usb stick with win 10 on it, but when I boot from this it sits at the windows loading chain and never goes past this.
    Here is the rufus screen shot.
    Is this correct or are my settings wrong?
    is my version of rufus to old?
    If I let windows create the install disk I can get to the windows install screen but can see no drives connected.
    Thanks

• JordanB
    Ok great.  It sounds like you have successfully completed steps 1, 2, and 3.   How did step 4 and 5 work out?  Have you completed step 4 and step 5?   Let me know when you have successfully completed step 4 and step 5.
  • elfixer
    step 4 and 5 done press F12 and boot from usb.
    Then sits at the windows spinning dots forever.

• JordanB
    Ok, when you used the other USB, what happened at step 8?
  • elfixer
    the only disk that displayed was the usb stick.
    This was what I said initially happened and I could go no further as no drive detected.
  • elfixer
    If I remove the hard drive and connect it to a pc then I can see everything on the drive.

• JordanB
    edited July 2019
    ok, remove the hard drive and connect it to a different PC.  Open an admin command prompt and use diskpart

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x    (x is the hard drive that's causing us problems and is the hard drive we want to wipe)
    clean        (this will completely wipe the HDD--make sure you backup your important personal files first)
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

• elfixer
    It looks like the rufus usb is not working or booting, so after wiping the drive will I be able to reinstall windows? 
  • JordanB
    edited July 2019
  • elfixer
    I did and they have asked me to send it back to them for repair under warranty.
    Just thought someone would have seen this problem before and save me some time.
    Thanks for your assistance  JordanB.
  • JordanB
    edited July 2019
    You're welcome.

I'm not sure how Acer does things with RAID on your model.

I guess they probably just want you to create a USB recovery drive with Acer Care Center.  But it's too late for that in your situation.

When you get your laptop back from Acer Service, I would recommend creating a USB recovery drive using Acer Care Center (and then put the USB recovery in an envelope and a safe place so you don't lose it).  See link below.

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38145/~/windows-10%3A-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center

• elfixer
    easier solution is too not to buy an acer laptop as things should not be this difficult to repair.
    The ssd in this model is 16gb I think so can only be for boot.
    But hey thanks for all the help.