Iconia One 7 B1-780 and B1-790 any actual difference?

micsim35
micsim35 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Would there be any merit at all attempting to flash the slightly newer lollipop B1-790 ROM to my B1-780? From the specifications they seem to be identical devices. Curiosity could indeed kill the tablet if it isn't actually the case. There doesn't seem to be any revisions to the hardware used

Can someone who has a B1-790 advise which Android Security Patch Level it indicates in system information. My B1-780 says 5th May 2017

Best Answers

• micsim35
    Answer ✓
    I've flashed the 790 image and it seems to be working normally for now. There were no errors about mismatched hardware. a few different bundled apps and background image but apart from that it's identical as far as I can see. I did clear cache and data so it's a clean slate. I'll post back when updates are applied from Google Play and I've used it for a while if it is any more stable or quicker than it was with the 780 image
  • micsim35
    Answer ✓
    Found the difference and it's ridiculously subtle. It's the IPS panel used which clearly has different sub-pixel order as text doesn't look properly hinted as compared to the 780 ROM
  • micsim35
    Answer ✓
    I'm sticking with the 790 ROM. The fonts are tolerable and there's a major reason for doing so. The bad rendering is most apparent in Liquid launcher which I'll replace anyway with Evie shortly. In browsers and apps text looks fine using normal font size instead of large.

Several games in my library refused to run on this tablet before like Super Mario Run and Mahjong Titan. With the 790 ROM they all work fine instead of crashing straight away on launch

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It will not work. I think an attempt to flash will fail with a 'not the right model' type of error.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • micsim35
    Maybe, I'll try it anyway when it's charged up. I'll get both 780 and 790 images onto the SD card. If it doesn't work or makes no difference I'm considering compiling a fresh image of aosp with the kernel source added
  • micsim35
    Answer ✓
    I've flashed the 790 image and it seems to be working normally for now. There were no errors about mismatched hardware. a few different bundled apps and background image but apart from that it's identical as far as I can see. I did clear cache and data so it's a clean slate. I'll post back when updates are applied from Google Play and I've used it for a while if it is any more stable or quicker than it was with the 780 image
  • micsim35
    OP is wrong, not sure why I put Lollipop, it is of course Marshmallow
  • micsim35
    Answer ✓
    Found the difference and it's ridiculously subtle. It's the IPS panel used which clearly has different sub-pixel order as text doesn't look properly hinted as compared to the 780 ROM
  • micsim35
    Answer ✓
    I'm sticking with the 790 ROM. The fonts are tolerable and there's a major reason for doing so. The bad rendering is most apparent in Liquid launcher which I'll replace anyway with Evie shortly. In browsers and apps text looks fine using normal font size instead of large.

Several games in my library refused to run on this tablet before like Super Mario Run and Mahjong Titan. With the 790 ROM they all work fine instead of crashing straight away on launch
  • jng3555
    jng3555 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @micsim35 - can you kindly post your TWRP ? Thanks in advance.
  • micsim35
    edited July 2019
    @jng3555 - there's no need for TWRP. I downloaded the B1-790 ROM to microSD card and flashed it from the stock Acer Recovery environment which you can access using the hardware keys. It's still working fine to this day since I flashed it.