Swift 3 won't turn on

Swift3sux
Swift3sux Member Posts: 1 New User
My mom just turned on her BRAND new Acer Swift 3 then went to the kitchen for a drink and came back to a black screen. Now the POS won't even turn on. I would take the battery out but it has some weird Star shaped screws that are perfectly sized to fit neither my regular screwdrivers nor my micro screw drivers. 

Is there a solution to this or did my mom just buy a very fancy cutting board?

Answers

• DougFR
    DougFR Member Posts: 2 New User
    I've just experienced this issue of not powering up and thankfully the pin in the battery pinhole worked and I'm back on.  
    I note the same issue occurring at least as far back as 2016.  
    Does anyone have a permanent fix?  

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Hiccups happen now & then. A battery reset will often fix the hiccup till the next one. :):'(   Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ

• angelamkays
    angelamkays Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought a swift from Office Depot and flew out of the country a week later. Everything was fine but twice now it turned off and won’t turn back on. This time it seems nothing I do is working. If anyone has a fix please let me know!
  • JackE
    angelamkays Remove the charger. Check for a battery reset pinhole with a battery symbol on the bottom. Gently insert a paperclip for about 10 seconds to disconnect the battery. Let the machine rest for about 15 mins. Then  plug the charger back in. Try to turn it on.

Jack E/NJ

• TheWriteGuy
    TheWriteGuy Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2019
    Hello. I have the same problem. I did the turn-off-hold-power-button thing and the pin battery reset. Nothing happened. Is there another solution? 
  • JackE
    TheWriteGuy
    Return it to the seller ASAP as defective for an exchange or refund. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aliiiise
    Aliiiise Member Posts: 1 New User
    JackE said:
    First try pressing and holding the power button for about 10 seconds. Let go. Then momentarliy press it again try to turn it back on.

If no joy, look at the bottom case. See if you can find a pinhole with a battery symbol next to it. Gently press a paperclip into the pinhole for about 30 seconds to disconnect the battery. Let the thing rest for about 15 mins. Then try to turn it back on again.

If still no joy, your Mom simply got a lemon, not a POS or a cutting board. Return it to the vendor/seller for a refund or exchange ASAP.

Jack E/NJ 
    This really helped me! My acer swift 3 which is new would not turn on, even with the pinhole button, but when i tried to wait a bit after i pushed the pinhole button and then push it again it worked.
    JackE said:
    angelamkays Remove the charger. Check for a battery reset pinhole with a battery symbol on the bottom. Gently insert a paperclip for about 10 seconds to disconnect the battery. Let the machine rest for about 15 mins. Then  plug the charger back in. Try to turn it on.

• IamYasmin
    IamYasmin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Is there a better fix? Every time after sleep user has to press the power button to restart the laptop and all browsers/works are gone.
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Change all settings to 'sleep' not 'hibernate'. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jeeva7747
    Jeeva7747 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Update bios to 1.07 might solve the problem for SF315_52G.
    Go to Acer drivers and manuals and search correct Model Name to download update.
  • syny
    syny Member Posts: 1 New User
    You got it right mate, very fancy cutting board with a virtual warranty
  • dano5342
    dano5342 Member Posts: 3 New User
    So I've got this issue as well. I have a bit of a problem though, my Misses and I share the laptop for work reasons and both have projects on there that we need access to. Is there a way I can salvage this stuff? 

I've also tried to battery pin repair method, its not working for me so I think I'm going to have to return it or pay for a repairman (especially now as im no longer based in the UK)
  • JackE
    What is the full model number? If the HDD or SSD isn't soldered to the mainboard, the personal files can be retrieved on another computer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dano5342
    JackE said:
    What is the full model number? If the HDD or SSD isn't soldered to the mainboard, the personal files can be retrieved on another computer. Jack E/NJ
    SF315-41-R7EQ I believe is the one, found under neath in the vicinity of the Battery hole.

I'm also thinking about connecting to a screen and seeing if I can access these files this way?
  • JackE
    edited July 2019

If it's not turning on, won't do much good. If however you think it's actually turning on and booting but without a screen, then yes HDMI out to a TV. Press FN+F5 to try to turn on the TV. Or even press the FN+F6 combo to try to turn the laptop screen on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dano5342
    JackE said:

If it's not turning on, won't do much good. If however you think it's actually turning on and booting but without a screen, then yes HDMI out to a TV. Press FN+F5 to try to turn on the TV. Or even press the FN+F6 combo to try to turn the laptop screen on. Jack E/NJ
    Yeah unfortunately this isn't working either, Ah *****! 
  • JackE
    dano5342Not good. If no external screen, then lhe graphics adapter has likely failed (meaning the mainboard). If there are no signs of life on pushing the power button (eg no fan noise, no LEDs), then it's also possible the power button board or its ribbon cable connection to the main board is loose. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mattee24
    mattee24 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello I bought my laptop in February. It was fine when I used it but then I opened it again then it won't start. When  i charge it there was a red light, and I waited for it to turn blue but nothing happened when I press the power button. I tried the pinhole, 10 seconds press, and normal turn on. Can you please help me? Is there something wrong with the motherboard (I know nothing about these kind of stuffs)
  • JackE
    mattee24 Why did you open it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ