Can't change the brightness of my laptop(Acer Swift 3

rickyhuang127
rickyhuang127 Member Posts: 35 Troubleshooter
edited July 2019 in Swift and Spin Series
I have an Acer Swift 3 and the brightness is at its max at all times. The function key does not change the brightness. How do I fix this?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You could try changing the settings in Advanced Power Options, go to Power options(right click battery icon) click "Change plan settings", click "Change advanced power settings", expand Display, change settings of your choice for Display brightness, Dimmed display brightness and Enable adaptive brightness.
    I have attached my settings as an example.

• rickyhuang127
    It didn't work.
  • rickyhuang127
    Any other suggestions?
  • rickyhuang127
    Please help. It is quite annoying looking at the screen at night.

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    rickyhuang127 

Please try this work around: (it may sound funny)
    Go to the device manager, expand monitor if it showed as "PnP Monitor (Standard)".  Uninstalled it, including the drivers, and then rebooted.  Now it should "Generic PnP Monitor".  Also, check if there is any BIOS update or any new display driver posted at Acer supported website.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • rickyhuang127
    Nothing worked.

• rickyhuang127
    I tried resetting my laptop still nothing. The laptop model is SF315-51G if that helps

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    @rickyhuang127

The intel graphics driver that I believe you need is 23.20.16.5038.  
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alternative Method

Try to rollback your Intel graphics driver in Device Manager
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alternative Method

You can also try uninstalling all of your Intel graphics drivers from Device Manager (tick the box to delete software) and see if Windows automatically installs 23.20.16.5038

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alternative Method to get Intel graphics driver 23.20.16.5038  (the long method)

I assume your laptop came pre-installed with Windows 10 1703.  If you want to get back to 1703 factory, you'll ***probably*** need to order your recovery media from Acer unless you created a USB recovery drive right away using Acer Care Center.  And then let Windows Update automatically update your computer to Windows 10 1803.  This process should automatically give you Intel 23.20.16.5038.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alternative Method

Wait until Microsoft/Acer/Intel push out a new graphics driver through Windows Update or check Acer's website for a new graphics driver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check Windows Update as Microsoft supposedly fixed this issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4284835/windows-10-update-kb4284835
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rickyhuang127
    edited July 2018
    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). Thats what it says for Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). Thats what it says for Intel UHD Graphics 630
    rickyhuang127 

The Code 43 error is related to driver issue, please try to download and install the intel display adapter driver manually. Download

Before installing the driver, open device manager and uninstall the Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver.
    Download, Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.  Open Device Manager, click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.  Expand the section that needs the driver or device with yellow exclamation mark.
    Right-click and select Update Driver Software. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Click Have Disk. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
    Click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed. Restart your computer. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • jriggall
    jriggall Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2018
    I created this account just to provide an answer to this, because I've been dealing with this issue for over a week and couldn't find a solution that worked for me anywhere. My Acer Swift 3's brightness adjustment stopped working after a clean install of Windows 10, and I couldn't adjust my brightness through hotkeys or through display/power options. 

My solution:
    1) Go to the Device Manager.
    2) Look at the "display adapters" drop down.
    3) Right click each driver and click on "properties" to see if any of them say something along the lines of "this device is not working properly" or anything other than "this device is working properly".
    4) Note the brand of the driver that is not working (in my case it was the Intel driver) and uninstall it.
    5) Go to the manufacturers site (EX: google "Intel graphics driver") and they have a tool to auto-find updates you may need.
    6) Download and install the driver again with all the default recommendations.
    7) Enjoy being able to adjust your brightness again!

I went to Intel's site before doing this to install updates and even though I got some updates it didn't notify me about this driver failing to work properly, which caused me to overlook it for a long time. Anyway, I hope this saves someone from trying dozens of updates/reinstalls to get their machine working properly...and if not, know it is very likely a driver issue of some kind related specifically to your graphics drivers and good luck!

Edit: I don't know how I initially misunderstood Sharanji's post, but it is exactly what I just wrote out here -_- lmao. Anyway, I'll leave my response up to reiterate that this is indeed the solution.
  • comongo
    comongo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you jriggall<3<3<3
    After 10 months of nearly blindness, my eyes are final at peace.

My solution for those who are impatient to read:
    1. Go to "Settings" --> "System" --> "Display" --> scroll down --> "Advanced display settings"

2. Click on "Display adapter properties blahblahblah"

3. "Properties"

4. "Driver" --> "Update driver"

5. Done! I can change brightness again.

• yamster_
    yamster_ Member Posts: 1 New User
    THIS BELOW!! Thank you comongo.
    comongo said:
    Thank you jriggall<3<3<3
    After 10 months of nearly blindness, my eyes are final at peace.

My solution for those who are impatient to read:
    1. Go to "Settings" --> "System" --> "Display" --> scroll down --> "Advanced display settings"

2. Click on "Display adapter properties blahblahblah"

3. "Properties"

4. "Driver" --> "Update driver"

5. Done! I can change brightness again.

• robin30
    robin30 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Device Manager/ Display Adapters / Right click on Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 / Update Driver
  • Prithhi
    Prithhi Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have same problem do u have solve it plz help
  • citygas
    citygas Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2019
    I have the same issue. Tried what comongo suggested but wasn't successful. I then decided to roll back the driver and then update it again. This time, it worked. =)
  • currymuncher
    currymuncher Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have an Acer Swift 3 and the brightness is at its max at all times. The function key does not change the brightness. How do I fix this?

I finally managed to fix the issue by updating my drivers. For those of you who have similar problems, follow these simple steps.

1. Look for your model number on Acer's drivers website, (e.g. Swift 3-52)
    2. Download the VGA driver (either Intel or Nvidia's drivers, depends on which one your graphics card is made by)
    3. Unzip/extract the file after downloading it.
    4. Open device manager in settings, and right click on your graphics card under Display Adapters
    5. Press update drivers, then do it manually by browsing your computer.
    6. Go to the unzipped folder, click it, and install the drivers.
    7. Just like that, your brightness is fixed and the graphics card is working again!
  • Glize
    Glize Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi! Umm. I haave the same problem but my display adapter wasn't installed yet. And I manually search for it and then when I am about to install it, it says that I didn't have manufacturer's installation disk. I tried so many dummies and I also tried what you had posted here guys, but I wasmt able to find manufacturers disk. Do you have any idea about this? The 100% brightness gonna kill my eyes. Thanks! 
  • legion001
    legion001 Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited April 2021
    currymuncher  Thanks for the resolution 

and the VGA driver can be installed via (based on your laptop model) ->https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/7306?b=1&pn=NX.GSJSI.003
  • legion001
    legion001 Member Posts: 6 New User
    currymuncher  Thanks for the resolution , you the best.

and the VGA driver can be installed via(based on your laptop model) ->https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/7306?b=1&pn=NX.GSJSI.003