Acer PH517-51-72NU-US - External USB keyboard stops being recognized at each boot

touchnova
touchnova Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Just received the Helios 500 as a replacement unit from Acer for my Predator 17 which has suffered 3 motherboard failures...yikes.  I use my laptop as a stationary unit 99% of the time, pluging in external monitors, keyboard and mouse.  Something strange is happening with my keyboard on the Helios 500 though...every time I boot the laptop it stops recognizing the external keyboard (SteelSeries Apex 350).  I have the latest engine installed from SteelSeries, drivers are current according to Windows Device Manager.  I get to the login screen and the keyboard is lit up, but not recognizing input. I'm forced to unplug the keyboard, plug it back in and voila, suddenly it's working again.  Every single time. Has anyone else had an experience like this?  It's driving me a bonkers...such a simple function should not be this difficult. Never had this issue with my Predator 17...

Answers

• Hello! What is the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • touchnova
    I should have known you'd come asking...lol. Model is PH517-51-72NU-US.  An update on the issue...happens every time I boot, and also intermittently during regular use.  I'll unplug/plug at boot, keyboard will then be recognized, I use the system for an hour or two and suddenly the keyboard is no longer being recognized.  This is not accompanied by the typical USB disconnect sound, but when I unplug/plug it plays the connecting noise twice.  Very strange.  I've tried the keyboard on two other comps to make sure it's not the issue and it works perfectly on both.
  • touchnova
    Another update...if I plug in an external USB drive it immediately causes the keyboard to no longer be recognized.  I unplug/replug the keyboard and it works for a minute or two, then once again stops being recognized.  Power is still getting to the keyboard as the key lighting is still active, but no input is accepted from the laptop.  It feels like a driver conflict, but everything is up to date as far as I can tell.  If anyone has input on finding/resolving potential driver conflicts, I'd greatly appreciate advice.  My goal at this point is simply to make it through a single day without having to unplug/replug the keyboard...ersh.
  • Does this issue occur on other USB ports and with other devices?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • touchnova
    edited June 2019
    Apologies for the late reply.  No, this issue does not occur when the keyboard is plugged into either of the 2 other USB ports, nor are there issues with the external drives which are typically plugged into those 2 other USB ports.  Seems there is just an issue with this specific port. Very frustrating as this device is new out of the box.
    *edited for typo and clarification
  • On which port does the problem occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• touchnova
    The lower orientation from your photo, or the left side of the device if it is in the normal operating position.
  • This port looks like it allows some devices to load when the notebook is off! Try disabling this function:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• touchnova
    I'm in the process of moving, so have not had as much time to test as I'd like.  But I did disable the Quick Access option you mentioned and after two restarts the issue seems 'better'.  (Seems strange that a setting that impacts the connected device at 30% comp battery would have an impact when the comp is plugged in all the time.) Only 'better' because the keyboard is now being recognized at boot, but randomly stops being recognized during regular use.  Twice today in a short time of using the computer I had to unplug/replug the keyboard.  Will have more feedback on this in the next few days.
  • Have you tried to disable the option that turns off the keyboard in the device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Yog
    Yog Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Did you ever fix this issue? I'm having the exact same issue at the moment. I got this laptop last year, used it for a few months with work, the problem went away eventually... but I don't know how. I gave it a format for a fresh start on the year and the issue is back.

Plug in the external HDD and keyboard and mouse turn off and on so quick that it's unusable.
  • touchnova
    Same boat...the issue persisted for some time, then went away on its own - I have no idea why either.  It might be worth opening the Acer Quick Access desktop interface (screencap above), disabling "Power-off USB charging", rebooting, then re-enabling it with a reboot as a test. Not sure if this will help, just a thought. Hope you can find a solution.