PredatorSense in Ubuntu? (Mainly CPU Power Limit managment)(Predator helios 500 PH517-51)

Beno93
Beno93 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Model Information:
Predator helios 500 PH517-51 part number NH.Q3NER.005. Processor I7-8750H.

Question:
I want to install Ubuntu.
Is there any way to use Predator Sense?
If not Is there any way to control CPU Power Limit?
If not Is there any way to set CPU Power Limit value "Max" as default?

Another question:
Is there anything specific which I need to do for installing Ubuntu? I have heard that the laptop tend to freeze under Ubuntu

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon Beno93 !

There have always been problems in Sense due to non-direct software support.

In Linux it is possible to control power values and limits for the CPU.

The "tendency" to freeze is actually due to the fact that those who do not understand or do not know Linux systems.

If you are unfamiliar, I advise you to use the principle only in "live mode" and then perform an installation.

If you really prefer to install, use an ISO x64, install in UEFi mode and just press the "E" key in the installation menu and next to the quiet splash, enter the nouveau.modeset = 0 command to disable the Nvidia card during installation.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Beno93
    MaClane said:
    Good afternoon Beno93 !

The "tendency" to freeze is actually due to the fact that those who do not understand or do not know Linux systems.

If you are unfamiliar, I advise you to use the principle only in "live mode" and then perform an installation.

If you really prefer to install, use an ISO x64, install in UEFi mode and just press the "E" key in the installation menu and next to the quiet splash, enter the nouveau.modeset = 0 command to disable the Nvidia card during installation.

Thanks for the answer.

I am familiar with Linux and use it several years as programmer, not as Admin and I used it on several laptops and PCs but only on predator I had an issue like freeze. For that reason, I thought that there is something specific which I need to do while installing or after installing Ubuntu.

I don't enter the nouveau.modeset = 0. I will try to install again, and how can I set CPU power limit value equal to Max value of Predator sense?

• MaClane
    You can simply use cpulimit
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Beno93
    MaClane said:
    Good afternoon Beno93 !

Hi again MaClane,

There are also the problem with sound and no one solution is working.

Thanks,
    BR
    Beno Arakelyan
  • MaClane
    Good evening!

What kind of problem with sound?
    Is there no sound?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Beno93
    MaClane said:
    Good evening!

What kind of problem with sound?
    Is there no sound?

The sound card isn't detected. It shows that the headphones are connected but there are no headphones connected and also even I connect it doesn't work. I have fixed it by hda-jack-retask but after that now only dynamics have sound headphones not working yet.
  • MaClane
    Take a look at the link and see if you can solve it:

https://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Beno93
    MaClane said:
    Take a look at the link and see if you can solve it:

https://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/

Thanks but I have already tried all solutions. No one help. There is only one solution to buy external card for headphones but I don't want to go that way. There is vary big annoying problem for Helios 500 on ubuntu. Finally I decided to use not a dual boot but VM unfortunatlly. I have realy liked this laptop until this problem. I will keep in mind for next acer laptop try ubuntu before buying).

Thanks
    BR
    Beno Arakelyan
  • MaClane
    In this case it is only a matter of time until the maintainers of Ubuntu and other distros check on these specific hardware issues and make patch fixes available.
    I suggest you inform about this in the Linux forums so they have such problems in mind.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™