OEM M. 2 SSDs

dmw_4814
dmw_4814 Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Is there any reason that anyone should have a problem using one of the original M.2 SSDs (Hynix 128GB, I believe) that came in my Predator 17 laptop when I bought it?

I took them both out, after booting the laptop to just once to make sure it was functioning, and replaced them with two 1GB each SSDs. I sold one on eBay last year, and never had any complaint from the buyer. A person in France just bought the other one, last month. He must've received it a few days ago, because I got a message from him complaining about what type of drive it was (saying something about "HS cyclic redundancy" - whatever THAT is), and that it wasn't brand-new, and was shipped in a Samsung box.

I was completely honest in my eBay listing; stating they came in a brand-new laptop, and were removed after it was booted up just once. I explained because of that, even though for all intents & purposes, they were essentially new, but couldn't be sold that way. I also said it was shipped in a Samsung box because that's all I had to protect it - I asked him, "What; do you think Acer ships an empty box with them, for when I decide to sell the SSDs?! " He wants the $40 he paid for them refunded. I told him I'm not refunding his money, because my listing was completely honest. On top of that, it cost me almost half of what he paid me for it, to ship it to him in France!

I get a message back from him today saying "Your M.2 drive is simply out of order (his words). It's impossible to initialize a partition, or write anything to it."

Is he right, or does he not know what he's talking about?

Thanks.

Answers

• Did you format ssd before selling it? Is ssd recognized in the uefi firmware information section on his notebook? If it is recognized, ask it to execute these commands in cmd as administrator:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x (x is the ssd number)
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format fs = ntfs quick
    assign
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ask him to check if the disk is online too and do this:
    offline disk (if it says that the disk is already off, you type online disk, and then offline disk, the business is to leave it inactive)
    go to disk management and see if the disk is appearing offline, if so, enable it by its own disk management. When it appears Online, the cyclic redundancy error will disappear.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dmw_4814
    dmw_4814 Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    No; I didn't do anything to it (such as format it) before I sold it, because it didn't contain any personal info on it - only what Acer had put on it.

I'm going to copy & paste your instructions to him, but honestly, I sold him a working SSD. It's not my job to provide him tech support to ensure the SSD is set up properly to work in HIS PC. If he doesn't understand how to do that himself, he needs to consult someone local to him in France for help, not start off his initial complaint to me, someone half way around the world, with the words, "Is a joke"!
  • The problem is that you sold a ssd with the included operating system and without formatting it! It is not a difficult procedure to do! Post the result here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    @dmw_4814 cyclic redundancy errors only used to happen on normal hdds when the sectors become corrupted never seen any of this happening on an ssd before (not saying its not possible but again you would had noticed it straight away and ssd dont get faulty like this) because they dont spin neither have read/write spindle so to me that guy on ebay its just trolling you to get a refund and still keep the ssd if he would ask me for a refund i would ask him to send the ssd back he can zero fill format it if he wanted anyone can do it and usually chkdsk /f X would fix the issue if any at all

https://www.easeus.com/resource/fix-data-error-cyclic-redundancy-check.html

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• @xapim I may be wrong but I think it is possible that the problem occurred because the dmw_4814 colleague's notebook was in raid format before removing the ssd m2 and probably the notebook of the other guy who bought it, it should be in ahci mode! In addition, the Acer operating system was included in ssd and all the drivers that were in ssd, refer to the g9-793!
    However, it would be interesting if he asked the other user to send a picture of the problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    @xapim I may be wrong but I think it is possible that the problem occurred because the dmw_4814 colleague's notebook was in raid format before removing the ssd m2 and probably the notebook of the other guy who bought it, it should be in ahci mode! In addition, the Acer operating system was included in ssd and all the drivers that were in ssd, refer to the g9-793!
    However, it would be interesting if he asked the other user to send a picture of the problem!
    @egydiocoelho yes if it was in fact in raid it should had been formatted before it was sold but anyway it could also be formatted after any broken raid array drive can be formatted normally and used as normal drive again as i stated and if the ssd was working fine i found it very strange that its giving cyclic errors just now its very weird indeed

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• @xapimYes, it's really weird! I've also never seen this problem in a ssd! It would be interesting if he asked for a proof of the problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer