Nitro 5 Ryzen not working properly

Equinox
Equinox Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recieved my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42, with Ryzen 5 2500u and RX 560 today and it is the slowest laptop possible.
Multitasking is impossible, no two operations are working together.. It is hanging too bad that even task manager is not opening. Everything from opening a program to installing a game is too slow. Even Firefox is not working properly. 
Then my external HDD is mostly not being recognized by the 3.0 USB port, its working fine with 2.0 but since its WD my passport with 3.0 jack, its working like 5 out of 15 times and giving copying speeds of 8-15 mbps. 
A game like Far cry 3 is taking 25 minutes to install and still not working. I also tried Crysis warhead but it was rejected by Norton. 
I tried updating windows, bios (which was already 1.08), Raedon settings( to high performance).. Still everything is same.
Only setting changes I have made in windows is changing the WiFi connection to metered and disabling background apps. 
My firmware version is 17.42.306 (something like this)
Please help.. Should I get it replaced?
Its almost 5 am here, and I'm trying since 9 pm last night so please ignore any grammatical mistakes.

Best Answer

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Equinox,

Dont worry try the below steps. hope it will help you.

>> Try to perform a simple power reset and check the issue.  Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Disconnect the external display. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop.

>>if you're running CPU-intensive processes, like games or video conversions. If you aren't doing one of these things, you'll definitely want to see if another process is eating up your CPU for no reason. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the Task Manager. Check the processes tab to see if anything's taking up an abnormally large percent of your CPU's power—usually, if something's out of control, it'll be up close to 100. f everything's relatively low, single-digits or maybe the tens, then it isn't your CPU going out of control, it's the fan itself.

>> Remove any programs you're not using and disable as many background processes as possible. If the fans continue to spin loudly even when you're not using resource-intensive software, consider opening up the laptop and using compressed air to clean dust out the inside. Only do this if your laptop isn't under warranty, as opening the laptop will void it. Replacing the old thermal paste on the heat sink can also reduce heat (and thus fan noise), but only do so if you're comfortable with laptop disassembly and repair.

Accept if its Helpful.   B)

Answers

• christy1
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Equinox,

Dont worry try the below steps. hope it will help you.

>> Try to perform a simple power reset and check the issue.  Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Disconnect the external display. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop.

>>if you're running CPU-intensive processes, like games or video conversions. If you aren't doing one of these things, you'll definitely want to see if another process is eating up your CPU for no reason. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the Task Manager. Check the processes tab to see if anything's taking up an abnormally large percent of your CPU's power—usually, if something's out of control, it'll be up close to 100. f everything's relatively low, single-digits or maybe the tens, then it isn't your CPU going out of control, it's the fan itself.

>> Remove any programs you're not using and disable as many background processes as possible. If the fans continue to spin loudly even when you're not using resource-intensive software, consider opening up the laptop and using compressed air to clean dust out the inside. Only do this if your laptop isn't under warranty, as opening the laptop will void it. Replacing the old thermal paste on the heat sink can also reduce heat (and thus fan noise), but only do so if you're comfortable with laptop disassembly and repair.

• Equinox
    That wasn't the problem, sorry that I didn't mention, the laptop was cool the entire time.. the CPU wasn't working more than 2-3%. No matter what I opened it was going through a lag. 
    But the shutdown advice worked. When I switched it on today, the boot time was around 15-30 seconds, the 3.0 port recognized my HDD and gave copying speeds above 100 Mbps, also far cry 3 installed and worked nicely in 1920*1080 p. 
    I will check up the rest of things when I start it again, and if you can tell me some more checks to do on a new laptop. 
    And seriously,  thanks for your answer. :)
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    In addition to suggestion by @christy1 , you could also try uninstalling Norton temporarily with their removal tool, Windows defender will protect you, you can install Norton latter on if you prefer, I suggest this because Norton slows down the laptops, then you could also use a small M.2 SATA SSD drive as a boot drive while using the 1TB HDD for storage.
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us
  • Equinox
    So by removing it, I won't lose the membership? Also I read in this community that reinstalling windows always makes it fast. So if I do that.. will my windows remain activated? 
    And yes, I will definitely add a SSD. 
    Thanks. :) 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Equinox said:
    So by removing it, I won't lose the membership? Also I read in this community that reinstalling windows always makes it fast. So if I do that.. will my windows remain activated? 
    And yes, I will definitely add a SSD. 
    Thanks. :) 
    Did you buy Norton Security or it's a Trial copy which came with the laptop?  You don't have to reinstall Windows when you install a M.2 SSD/SSD, you can migrate the OS from HDD to it, anyway, your product key is embedded in BIOS, so it will activate automatically.
  • christy1
    He is exactly correct. Try to remove the Norton if its a trial version or paid version. if its a trial version its not recommended after 30days and if its paid version then we can always reinstall it with the purchase email or the key.
  • PJlovery
    PJlovery Member Posts: 2 New User
    Recently i purchased acer nitro 5 ryzen it having tons of problems 1st it is super slow ,boot time is around 2 min to 3 min during multitasking laptop doesnt works properly ram usage is 6.70gb out of 8gb it is lagging a lot please help me out !!!!!
  • PJlovery
    PJlovery Member Posts: 2 New User
    Please help me my laptop is working very abnormally chrome is opening after 5 to 10 mins it is lagging alot 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    PJlovery said:
    Please help me my laptop is working very abnormally chrome is opening after 5 to 10 mins it is lagging alot 
    Please start a new Thread, your question does not belong here and it may get answered faster in a new Thread

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• christy1
    PJlovery said:
    Recently i purchased acer nitro 5 ryzen it having tons of problems 1st it is super slow ,boot time is around 2 min to 3 min during multitasking laptop doesnt works properly ram usage is 6.70gb out of 8gb it is lagging a lot please help me out !!!!!
    Hi @PJlovery,
    >> Try to perform a simple power reset and check the issue.  Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Disconnect the external display. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop.

>>>Press Win + R to open Run dialog > Type: msconfig and click OK;

Check Hide all Microsoft services under Services tab > Uncheck all other remaining services > OK to save all changes;

Restart Windows > Enable any services individually and reboot PC > Repeat the process till Windows high CPU usage issue gets fixed by then.