Acer Aspire VX5-591G-721N low fps without A/C connector.

j0wnz
j0wnz Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi everyone! I had bought this laptop and I have this problem the title. I had already tried several options like:

-High performance mode in w10 settings

-Turn off in nvidia Experience the limit when using battery

-HIgh performance in Nvidia control panel

I do not know what more I can do, when using A/C I am around 120-140fps in CS:GO but without 60-70...

Thank you!

pd: some screenshots about what i had done

https://gyazo.com/73c2033641080005b41fe2379e105a17

https://gyazo.com/fae788777bb41fa91d10c75f3eee1083

https://gyazo.com/049221b75a54063167eb27dbe48827d4

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It is normal, to make the battery life longer. While the laptop is not charging it limits the CPU and GPU frequency to save power, otherwise your battery would be drained very quickly.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• j0wnz

I spoke with ACer technical service in Spain, they told me that it shouldn't happen... I don't know if that person is confused and yuou have reason or maybe there are ways to increase performance.

By the way, is there any option to increase cooling? when the A/C is unplugged the fans are not working very hard...

• ven98
    I own a gaming laptop and it drops performance when unplugged from charger. Also sometimes the people who work for Acer don't know what they are talking about.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• j0wnz

Yea I suppose that... Which is your Gaming laptop ?

Let's see if there are others opinions, thank you!

• ven98
    My laptop is Acer predator 17x and it loses about 45% performance when not connected to charger. I tried with high performance power plan and setting the CPU limit to 100% but still the fps is still low. I kept a record of the CPU's frequency while on battery and it is the same as when the laptop is plugged in, but when I put the CPU under load(playing game) its frequency drops almost with a half from the maximum frequency. Also the GPU that gets downclocked. when on battery the highest frequency it reaches is about 40%-50%(when loaded) lower than the maximum frequency even if I have set to 'prefer maximum performance' from power management mode in Nvidia control panel.

It is most likely a BIOS setting or probably somewhere from the registry in windows it is set to downclock the components while on battery.

Anyway I don't think this matters, because if you game the battery won't hold more than 1-2 hours and if it didn't downclock the CPU and GPU by 50% then the battery life would twice less 30minutes-1hour. They have designed the gaming laptops considering that because of the poor battery life no one would start gaming away from the charger.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have this problem too.of the purchase of laptop I have the same problem. play also csgo of minimum settings and what do more to raised fps but not gets more than 130. sometimes detect while playing .... talking about processor i7 and video nvidia gtx1050?
    Acer aspire vx5 + 16GB RaM 128GB SSD
  • chronz
    chronz Member Posts: 1 New User
    If anyone passes by this later...

I think the fix is to right click on battery, click power options, click change plan to any plan that you have selected, click change advance power settings, go down to intel(r) graphics settings then to power plan, and change both to maximum performace.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Ven 98 is correct and it doesn't matter what Performance you set your Notebook to. Gaming Laptops are NOT designed to game on battery power at High Performance and the Laptop WILL limit despite setting to High Performance. It isn't a problem and nothing is broken

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★