Aspire E15 HDD not detected by bios the Acer screen shows up, the "No bootable device" screen shows

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    OK. F2 back into the BIOS menu and make sure D2D recovery is enabled in the Main tab. Make sure the Boot tab is still in Legacy mode. Press F10 to save settings and exit. Then press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds till the laptop completely shuts off. Then turn it back on again and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear if your HDD still has a functional hidden recovery partition. If not, I think HDD0 has a hardware problem. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko
    BurdiiAko Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

No recovery screen
  • JackE
    If possible, please post a screenshot of the BIOS Information tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hawkeyez
    Hawkeyez Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have a similar issue, did this ever get a solution? I have mine apart currently.  I was gathering data as I was being hacked and now the HDD0 doesn’t want to boot upon starting.  Seems like an attempt to make sure any data is unretrievable.  Any feedback is appreciated! 
  • Hawkeyez
    Hawkeyez Member Posts: 2 New User
    Jack if you are there I ended up at the Edit Boot Options menu which is something I haven’t seen while troubleshooting this yet. (Alt-F10) It lists the partition and hard disk and then states /noexecute=output /novga 
  • JackE
    Hawkeyez
    (1) Do you have the same model? If not, what's your full ACER model number?
    (2) What was the original factory installed operating system, if any.
    (3) Try to enter the BIOS menu by tapping F2 on cold boot. What is BIOS version number in the Info tab. Make sure the F12 and D2D options are turned on in the Main tab. Make sure the hard drive is either first or second listed in the Boot tab and that UEFI is mode

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EEltigani
    EEltigani Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
    I am suffering the same problem. It says no bootable device. My model is: Aspire 3 A315-51 series. Can you please send me the following steps to follow as I have important projects due by the end of next week. 

Thank you

EEltigani
  • JackE
    First check if the HDD/SSD is recognized in the BIOS Information tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EEltigani
    @JackE

Right now I do not have my laptop at the moment but can you tell me the whole procedure assuming that it is recognised and if it isn’t. Because I’m really stressed out right now. And I have a feeling that everything will get erased  
  • EEltigani
    @JackE

is the procedure the same as the above? Or different.
  • JackE

Just shut the machine completely off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Check to see if the HDD is recognized in both the BIOS Information tab and the BIOs Boot tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EEltigani
    @JackE

it just says none. Even for the model number and serial number. Everything says none. My guess is that it’s broken and I need a new hdd or ssd. 
  • JackE
    Not necessarily. Remove the screw and the HDD door on the bottom. Then remove the screws on the HDD and re-seat it a few times to clean the contacts. You don't have to pull it completely out of the connector. Just pull in partly out then push it back in a few times. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EEltigani
    edited June 2019
    I tried the hdd on the computer it works perfectly fine. I backed up my files. What if my laptop does not detect the hdd? Does that mean I would need to buy a new one?
  • JackE
    edited June 2019
    Simply re-seat the HDD back inside the laptop. Cleaning the connector contacts is probably all that's needed to get it recognized again by the BIOS. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EEltigani
    @JackE

Everything is working now. I just bought an ssd, which is much faster than hdd. The only problem is that the fan is still working when the laptop is turned off. Do you know how I can fix the fan to stop working from when I shut down my laptop?
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search for 'button'. Click 'change what the power button do' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Shut down laptop. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hardik25
    Hardik25 Member Posts: 6 New User
    How can you solve the problem I'm having the same issue? 
  • EEltigani
    @Hardik25

what I did was I went to the bios. I went to the boot Menu and changed legacy to uefi. If that doesn’t work I just bought a new hdd or ssd. Now it works perfectly fine :)
  • Hardik25
    Hardik25 Member Posts: 6 New User
    edited June 2019
    I've tried different SSD and HDD but it not showing in bios and boot menu my model is aspire a515-51g