Acer Travelmate P259-G2-MG M.2 compatibility?

miss_mbx
miss_mbx Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in TravelMate and Extensa
Hi,

I have noticed that my laptop has an M.2 slot and I'd like to install an SSD as my main boot drive - the 1TB 5400rpm HDD is killing me. However, I can't seem to find specs of the motherboard, and what m.2 SSD it supports. SATA III or NVME? Max. size? Socket type? I'm a novice when it comes to M.2 SSDs.

If anyone could help me, that would be fantastic. The information I have been able to pick out is that the motherboard is the Acer Lyra_SK V1.49

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hello,
    According to the Acer specifications, this model supports SATA III SSD of 128/256GB:

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓
    Hello,
    According to the Acer specifications, this model supports SATA III SSD of 128/256GB:

France
  • miss_mbx
    miss_mbx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello,

Thank you so much. Is 256GB the largest it'll take? 
  • laurent_14
    These are the capacities tested by Acer.
    France
  • Navig
    Navig Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello all,
    Please help me i have Acer TravelMate P2 Core i5 7th gen TMP259-G2-MG laptop

Can i install M.2 NVMe SSD ? Please help me on this.
  • GajalShankar
    GajalShankar Member Posts: 109 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hello,
    I have the same laptop even and I too asked about it earlier on Acer community. I'm using 512GB Kingston 500GB A2000 M.2 NVME SSD and It works perfectly with this laptop. It outmatches SATA III SSD in terms of speed and cooling.

Hope, It Helps!
  • pulak247
    pulak247 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same laptop. Have you upgraded to m2 ssd? If yes, then which one?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    The TravelMate P259-G2-MG officially supports a SATA drive in the M.2 slot, although as you can see one user has been successful in installing an NVMe drive. The specs say the M.2 slot is PCIe x1 though, so an NVMe wouldn't be any faster than a SATA drive. There's not really a limit (other than your pocketbook) on the size of the drive, the UEFI BIOS requires a GPT configured drive and the partition limits for that are much, much larger than we are likely to see in our lifetime. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.