Swift 3: Secondary Drive (WDC HDD) not appearing in File Explorer / Disk Management

13»

Answers

• blvtzpk
    blvtzpk Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
    edited June 2019
    Have you tried formatting the hd on another computer?
    Not yet. I was waiting for a response about what to do next. 

If the next recommended step is to (1) format the HDD and then (2) reattach it to the notebook, I will do that, but I probably won’t have responses until tomorrow (Saturday, June 8).

As i wrote above, when I attached the HDD to the desktop computer it showed the HDD as ‘Acer’ with 118GB when it is actually a 1TB HDD
  • Have you checked the desktop if the hd is correctly recognized with the diskpart, list disk?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • blvtzpk
    Have you checked the desktop if the hd is correctly recognized with the diskpart, list disk?
    I’ll check that later. Should I do that before OR after I reformat it?

One more question - When I reformat the HDD, what options should I use for its reformatting?
  • First back up your files! Then make sure the diskpart command recognizes the total volume of hd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • blvtzpk
    Then make sure the diskpart command recognizes the total volume of hd!
    So, diskpart should show that the HDD is a 1TB drive (and not 118GB), right?
  • Yes my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• blvtzpk
    edited June 2019
    I have *not* formatted the disk yet. Using diskpart, this is what is shown:

Diskpart > list disk

shows Disk 9 as Online, with a size of 931GB, free 812GB, Gpt = *

Diskpart > list volume

shows volume 13, 14, 15

Volume 13 - L - Acer - NTFS - Partition - 118GB - Healthy
    Volume 14 -    - Recovery - NTFS - Partition - 1024MB - Healthy
    Volume 15 -    - ESP - FAT32 - Partition - 100MB - Healthy - Hidden

Should I now format the HDD?

Should I format it as an NTFS disk?

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK! If there is no important file, do this command:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x, where x is the disk number
    clean (erases all)
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format fs = ntfs quick
    assign

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• blvtzpk
    Thank you both for all your assistance. I have successfully formatted the HDD and reinstalled in in the notebook. It is now appearing as a 1TB

So, in order to prevent this problem arising again, should I remove IRST from this computer?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Congrats on your success! You might want to use it sometime. Just be careful how you use it and beware of pushing any OK or YES buttons. A CANCEL button is probably safe.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Great, my friend! I agree with colleague JackE and I think you should keep this program installed too! But follow the tip of colleague JackE on the IRST!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• blvtzpk
    I'm back! Thanks once again for helping me with my problem, but I'm still curious about dealing with an ongoing IRST issue.
    When I boot up I get a message from the IRST software, and it seems that things are still not 100% OK.

There seems to be some issue with my current SATA Array after the WD HDD was reformatted and reinserted into the notebook. See the exclamation mark regarding 'Current Status' and the 'second' drive in Volume_0000.

Can you suggest what action(s) I could take so that (a) I can stop getting the boot-up messages and (b) the 'second' drive in Volume_0000 stops appearing? 

Here are screenshots of the current IRST screens:

Status screen:

Manage screens (3):

Performance screen:

Any ideas?

• Also, have you tried upgrading to irst?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• blvtzpk
    Thanks for the advice. 

I haven't upgraded to IRST - basically I don't want to use IRST unless I know what I'm doing - I don't want to find myself in the original situation that started this thread.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Sign up for the Intel IRST forums. And post your frustrations with this. Unlike this user board, they're supposedly dedicated to IRST issues. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ