Acer Aspire Switch SW5-014 OS problem

Costigan94
Costigan94 Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello everyone! A friend of mine just gave me an Acer Switch SW5-014 which is very nice! But the harddrive is completely zero:ed, so there is no Windows on it. I've tried using Windows 10 Home via Rufus but it doesnt work. Does any1 know how to install a fresh Windows 10 on an Switch?

Best regards

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

set it as on Rufus main page screen:

GPT - EFI partition scheme

FAT32 format

windows must be x64 version

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Costigan94

I actually tried the exact same thing. The device found the USB but it couldn't read the boot files. It just said Boot not found or device failure or something. I tried with a clean Win 10 Home x64/x86. Does it need to be only x64 or does it work with a combo ISO?

• IronFly

i would try with an x64 only if possible.

• Costigan94

Got the W10 x64 working... but now I can't install any applications. The touch nor the touchpad isnt working.. :/ Any tips?

[inappropriate content removed]

• IronFly

external USB mouse and download drivers from here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6486?b=1

platform drivers first.

• Costigan94
    It doesnt work, I cant install any drivers at all :/

It says "This app cant run on your PC, to find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher"
  • IronFly

check if your account has administrator rights, check this link too:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/this-app-cant-run-on-your-pc-solved/

• Costigan94
    Crazy, Still doesnt work.. do you know IF Acer can provide the original win10 recovery files?
  • IronFly

are you sure you installed windows 10 x64 home version?

you need to contact the Acer support service and buy the original media from them:

https://www.acer.com/ac/sv/SE/content/service-contact

• Costigan94

Pretty sure its Home edition.. Not quite sure

• Costigan94

It is Home X64. I can install winrar etc but the drivers wont install..

[inappropriate content removed]

• IronFly

i would try to re-install windows again, wiping completly the SSD.

press Shift+F10 at language/keyboard screen options, to enter Command prompt.
    once in command prompt type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean all
    type

exit

• Molotov
    Molotov Member Posts: 2 New User
    This thread popped up as first in search results for failure to be able to install the Intel Platform drivers provided by Acer for the SW5-014 "2.0.0.1067".

I was receiving error "
    "The requested operation failed, A system reboot is required to roll back changes made".

It turns out the folder name of the driver after extraction is the cause of the error. Once extracted, rename the folder to just W10x64 rather than the full folder name it comes out with, run as administrator and the drivers begin to install.

Had been pulling my hair out over this one and thought it best to share the resolution!
  • Phantom7777
    Phantom7777 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I also reinstall the windows, but  can not access the 500gb Hard drive. Just get error. Virtual disk manager - incorrect function. I need help
  • Kittentakara
    Kittentakara Member Posts: 1 New User
    Molotov said:
    This thread popped up as first in search results for failure to be able to install the Intel Platform drivers provided by Acer for the SW5-014 "2.0.0.1067".

I was receiving error ""The requested operation failed, A system reboot is required to roll back changes made".

It turns out the folder name of the driver after extraction is the cause of the error. Once extracted, rename the folder to just W10x64 rather than the full folder name it comes out with, run as administrator and the drivers begin to install.

Had been pulling my hair out over this one and thought it best to share the resolution!
    Molotov, I really do not know how thank you enough, I have been tearing my hair out on this one too for weeks, its been driving me round the bend, and then I read your post and boom, everything is working and its installing all drivers properly. So thank you for saving me so much more time and headache. its amazing how something so simple has been stumping me for weeks LOL. thanks

• ngron
    ngron Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2019
    I must be missing something, I can't even get the windows installation to start!
    I think I have a similar problem namely I am trying to install a windows on an Aspire SW5-014 (Intel Atom x5-Z8300) from scratch (I have tried windows10 but I'll be happy anything at this point).
    I tried different iso, I have tried the media creation tool, etc. I have created the bootable usb flash drive instatllion both from linux and windows (rufus). I have tried both the 64-bit and the 32-bit, made the partition EFI GPT, FAT32, etc.
    (but also tried all the other possible combinations)
    Within the bios I have tried with and without the "secure boot check" option. I have tried selecting the EFI file "by hand". I have checked that the usb boots on another machine. The usb flash drive is seen by the bios but the boot fails at the very beginning: after the logo of acer, a circle starts to be drawn and the machine just reboot (without any error message). I have tried with the usb flash drive plugged in the usb port in the keyboard and in the USB-type C port (with an adapter). I can create an ubuntu installation drive and run a live linux but that's all. I sort of understand that the UEFI is 32-bit but the machine is a 64-bit (???) which might be the cause of the problem.
    Sorry for bumping a old thread, I have seen similar but none of the solutions I have read worked.
    Any help would be welcome, how did you get the windows installation to start? (also I don't have the recovery partition)
    Thanks in advance

• vanci
    vanci Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Why not try this tool to create installation media? Then install from the finished media Window 10 and try to install the drivers. I think that the machine during the installation of both Windows and drivers should not be connected to the Internet, because Windows Update searches for and installs drivers and creates a conflict and not the ability to install drivers.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    All you should need to do with your model is disable Secure Boot and Enable the F12 Boot Menu in the BIOS, then put a Windows 10 32bit install flash drive in and boot using the F12 option to get the list of bootable devices. Your normal boot drive and the flash drive should both appear and you should be able to select the flash drive. When doing the install you will want to have the installer remove all existing partitions manually on the main drive so it can recreate as needed with the maximum space available for your system partition. Note that a 64bit version of the OS will fail to appear as an option, since your system only supports the 32bit OSes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.