Swift 3: Secondary Drive (WDC HDD) not appearing in File Explorer / Disk Management

blvtzpk
blvtzpk Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello:

I've seen some people with *similar* problems here, but I'm looking for some alternative possibilities to overcoming my problem.

While I can boot up my computer and see my 128 SSD drive in File Manager, for some reason my secondary 1TB HDD has 'disappeared' from File Explorer / Disk Management. I *can* see the two disks in the Boot/BIOS screen and when using Intel Rapid Storage Technology software (the latter software perhaps being part of the problem).

My computer is (From the BIOS screen):

BIOS
Swift 3, model SF315-51G - CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz

System BIOS Version: v.1.05
GOP Version: Intel(R) GOP Driver [9 . 0. 1066]

The two hard drives are:
- Kingston SSD 128GB (RBUSNS8180DS3128GH) - HDD0
- Western Digital HDD 1TB (WD10SPZX-21Z10T0) - HDD1

SATA Mode: RAID

Total memory: 8192 MB

Boot mode: [UEFI]
Secure Boot: [Enabled]

Boot priority order:
1. Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume_0000)

Disk Management
Disk Management lists only one Disk, Disk 0 (119.22GB) which broken into:
- 100 MB - Healthy (EFI System Partition)
- Acer (C:) - 118.12 GB NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
- Recovery - 1.00 GB NTFS - Healthy (OEM Partition)

Intel Rapid Storage Technology software
Clicking on the Manage button in this software, the two drives are shown in the 'System Storage View' of the screen:

SATA_Array_0000
- 119 GB - Volume_0000 - Controller 0, Port 1 - Master Disk
- 932 GB - Volume_0000 -
Controller 0, Port 2 - Recovery Disk

When I click on the icons for the two drives in the 'System Storage View', the 'Manage Disk' portion of the screen details change for each of the two disks (indicating each drive's Size, Cache, SATA transfer rate, Physical sector size, and Logical sector size). HOWEVER, in the 'Storage System View'  of the screen both drives are listed under 'Volume_0000 - Type: Recovery - 119 GB'

I did a factory reset today but that has changed nothing.

So, my question is, what steps do you think I can take to be able to utilize the Western Digital HDD again?

I can supply more details if asked.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK! If there is no important file, do this command:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x, where x is the disk number
    clean (erases all)
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format fs = ntfs quick
    assign
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>> I *can* see the two disks in the Boot/BIOS screen and when using Intel Rapid Storage Technology software (the latter software perhaps being part of the problem).>>>I did a factory reset>>>

(1) What's the BIOS Info tab look like?
    (2) And why do you suspect IRST might be part of the problem?
    (3) Was it an ALT+F10 cold boot reset outside of the Windows environment?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blvtzpk
    edited June 2019

>>> I *can* see the two disks in the Boot/BIOS screen and when using Intel Rapid Storage Technology software (the latter software perhaps being part of the problem).>>>I did a factory reset>>>

(1) What's the BIOS Info tab look like?

• JackE
    >>>Disk Management lists only one Disk, Disk 0 (119.22GB)>>>

Enter 'diskpart' at the command prompt.
    At the DISKPART> prompt enter 'list disk'

Still only one disk?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blvtzpk
    JackE said:
    >>>Disk Management lists only one Disk, Disk 0 (119.22GB)>>>

Enter 'diskpart' at the command prompt.
    At the DISKPART> prompt enter 'list disk'

Still only one disk?

Jack E/NJ
    Just the one:

Disk ### - Disk 0 
    Status - Online 
    Size - 119 GB
    Free - 6144 KB
    Dyn 
    Gpt - *
  • JackE
    You must now re-seat the HDD a few times to try to clean its contacts with the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blvtzpk
    JackE said:
    You must now re-seat the HDD a few times to try to clean its contacts with the mainboard. Jack E/NJ
    So, you’re saying that the HDD has become dislodged inside the computer? Or is this an educated guess based on the information I’ve supplied so far?

I’m not questioning your expertise, I’m just concerned about tinkering with the interior of the notebook - I’ve never had to do such a thing in nearly 30 years of using notebooks/laptops.
  • blvtzpk
    I should have added another question.

By ‘re-seating’, am I correct in assuming that you’re saying the notebook case needs to be opened and the HDD disconnected and reconnected to the mainboard? I just want to confirm before I take this process any further.

If this is correct, can you direct me to any instructional videos or clear and well-labelled diagrams of the inside of the notebook so I know what I should be tinkering with?
  • blvtzpk
    I’ll also upload the screenshots of the IRST screens described above

• JackE
    Sorry. An educated guess. Not a 100% guarantee. And not dislodged but dirty/corroded HDD connectors. If it had shown up in DiskPart, I probably would've suggested an ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset or refresh since DiskPart probes at a lower level than Diskmgmt.msc. You can still try it but it'll probably lead to more frustration especially with a RAID setup and IRST.

The flow chart to get at the HDD connector is shown below. Not convenient but it may be as simple as a dirty or slightly corroded contacts that re-seating a few times may resolve especially if it's been exposed to a warm humid environment. 12 screws must be removed from the bottom cover and pried off starting at the hinges, lifted up and slid off. Then the battery cable disconnected, 2 screws removed and battery lifted out to get at the HDD. If you're uncomfortable trying this, I suggest that you take it to local repair shop for a repair estimate if it's no longer under warranty. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blvtzpk
    Thank you!

I found a Swift 3 disassembly video (see following link) but it features an SF314-56 model: https://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-acer-swift-3-sf314-56-disassembly-and-upgrade-options/

Nonetheless, would this be *somewhat* similar to the inside of my model (SF315-51G)? Given the flowchart you’ve posted, the video does follow the sequence in the flowchart which is reassuring.

And when you write ‘re-seating’ do you mean disconnecting and cleaning the contacts between the between the HDD and the mainboard, or would the entire HDD need to be removed and ‘re-seated’?

Would you recommend anything to clean the contacts apart from a blast of compressed air?

If the disassembly is as straightforward as the video I’ve linked to above, I think I can manage the task.

In any case, I’ve barely had the notebook for over a year, and I’ve not subjected it to any harsh treatment or conditions. Given this, it’s disappointing that this issue has arisen so soon.

I might be getting ahead of myself here, but if the re-seating you’ve recommended doesn’t work, what would be the next step?

• JackE
    Re-seating simply means pullling the connectors apart and pushing them back together again. Repeatedly. Nothing more. But an airblast and a general vacuuming here and there while it's open can't hurt either. Everything has to go back together before testing it. But before you do, do you recall what the 1TB recovery drive for the SSD showed up as in FileExplorer before it disappeared? As a separate D :  \ drive? As a subdirectory of the C : \ drive? etc ??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blvtzpk
    edited June 2019
    It was a separate D drive
  • Mr JackE may be correct! However, it is possible that the raid system or the irst program has turned the hd into a recovery volume:
    Is the sata mode option in rst with optane? Is the sata configuration option enabled?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • blvtzpk
    Once again, thank you.

egydiocoelho was involved in the posts I was reading previously about this issue. I’m glad his assistance on this matter as well.

To answer your questions, when the 1TB HDD drive (the D drive) was operational it wasn’t a recovery drive - it was being used for storage. I can’t recall its actual label, but that’s how i was utilizing it.

As for egydiocoelho question (“Is the sata mode option in rst with optane? Is the sata configuration option enabled?”) I have posted a screenshot of the BIOS screen’s ‘Advanced’ tab below:

• blvtzpk
    I should have noted that, unlike the ‘BIOS > Advanced’ screen edydiocoelho posted, ‘SATA Configuration’ does not appear in *my* ‘BIOS > Advanced’ screen.
  • JackE
    Did you update or otherwise change IRST from the way it was (or wasn't) in the factory-delivered machine, or change something related to it in the BIOS menu??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blvtzpk
    JackE said:
    Did you update or otherwise change IRST from the way it was (or wasn't) in the factory-delivered machine, or change something related to it in the BIOS menu??? Jack E/NJ

I don’t believe I did, but I *may* have done so inadvertently. The ‘disappearance’ of the HDD was sudden, but I can’t recall what changes I might have made around that time.
  • Has the irst program requested that you give it "ok" at some point before the disk is turned into recovery volume? You may need to disconnect the HD and format it on another computer!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    If clicking an 'OK' button is all that's needed to essentially wipe out an HDD, that program is worse than unsuccessfully trying to update BIOS firmware on a perfectly functioning machine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ