TMP259-G2-M2-50YF PCIe NVMe support.

BiRd
BiRd Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi

A little info would be great.
I have a TMP259-G2-M2-50YF, it already has a M2 drive but I was wondering does it support PCIe NVMe and how many lanes?

I cant find anything that says that it does.

Thanks in advance
Richard

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited May 2019
    Use freeware HWInfo64 to see if the slot supports 2 or 4 lanes. Specs suggest SATA3 only. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    BiRd,

Below is the list of compatible SSD's which Acer officially recommends. 

Click here to have a look about complete spec of Toshiba compatible SSD. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• BiRd
    edited May 2019
    JackE said:
    Use freeware HWInfo64 to see if the slot supports 2 or 4 lanes. Specs suggest SATA3 only. Jack E/NJ
    Sorry for the late reply.
    I used HWInfo and I get this info. 
    Does it mean it supports it but only 2 lanes?
  • JackE
    Not full speed. Before you waste your money on an nvme card instead of a sata3 card, check the empty m.2 connector on the mainboard. If the connector has two keys, the nvme won't fit since it only has one key slot as shown below. Sorry, your safest and most practical choice for your laptop is still an m.2 SATA3 card.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BiRd
    JackE said:
    Not full speed. Before you waste your money on an nvme card instead of a sata3 card, check the empty m.2 connector on the mainboard. If the connector has two keys, the nvme won't fit since it only has one key slot as shown below. Sorry, your safest and most practical choice for your laptop is still an m.2 SATA3 card.

Jack E/NJ

Would it be worth a shot just trying one? I have checked it and it only has 1 key?

• JackE
    Sure. Just make sure you can return it without too much hassle since nvmes are still notoriously finicky bleeding edge tech relative to plain vanilla SATAs. Let us know how it goes if you decide to try one. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BiRd
    JackE said:
    Sure. Just make sure you can return it without too much hassle since nvmes are still notoriously finicky bleeding edge tech relative to plain vanilla SATAs. Let us know how it goes if you decide to try one. Jack E/NJ
    Quick Update

I went for an NMVe drive and it works, it is at 2x but at least fast than the original drive.

• JackE
    Congrats. It better be at least as fast as a SATA3 m.2.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Enel
    Enel Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi, I would like to ask the thread starter if the m.2 nvme he installed was as fast as m.2 sata?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    NVMe at 2 lanes is essentially the same speed as SATA 3.0.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.