My CPU & GPU temps are going too high, what shall I do?

sresthg5
sresthg5 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Acer Nitro AN515-53, its CPU temperature is going too high like 95 C. While I am playing R6 Siege its CPU temp would jump to 97 C and GPU temp would be 82 C. Even in a game like CSGO the CPU temp would jump to 92 C and GPU temp 80 C. I have also decreased the maximum power state to 90%, decreasing the max power state worked before but now its not working.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,733 Pathfinder
    @sresthg5
    you can try using cooling pad or applying thermal paste to reduce the heat.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,733 Pathfinder
    @sresthg5
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

• sresthg5
    sresthg5 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Jack22 said:
    @sresthg5
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Keeping the CPU at high temperature for a long time could reduce the lifespan of my laptop, I have read it somewhere. 
    Which thermal paste would you suggest me to apply on the GPU and CPU? How much temperature will reduce if I apply a thermal paste?
  • Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited May 2019
    That is normal temps for csgo and r6 siege considering the latest versions. But you are right about it spooling the life of components. Go for thermal grizzly Kryonaut. Otherwise get Arctic silver mx4(cheaper). Hydronaut is not very good and Conductonaut requires a lot of care and can be easily botched up. Apply the Kryonaut as a single small drop over the cpu and gpu heat sinks each. You CAN try spreading it but if not done properly it will just spill over and make cleaning difficult in future repasting. 
  • Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited May 2019
    But don’t expect much from repasting. It will reduce around 10C at the most. The advertised reduction for Kryonaut is more but it’s not absolute. Besides you won’t get the kind of temperature control on laptop like a desktop. Better way to control it is to undervolt and disable turbo boost. Make sure the air vents are free and not blocked in any way. Cooling pad is a good idea.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Also when I'm gaming I have Nitrosense on Max with Coolboost turned on, my Cooling Pad has it's own fans that greatly increase airflow, it plugs into the Notebook via USB. This has helped a lot with temperatures

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ChristianMilanov
    ChristianMilanov Member Posts: 3 New User
    If you have had it for a while and it stays at a dusty place, try using compressed air on the vents, because there might be dust there, which blocks the fans from blowing the air out.
  • PoppaJim
    PoppaJim Member Posts: 105 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited June 2019
    Most people that repaste will tell you the thermal Grizzly is pretty much your best and only option...
    I got a 10 degrees Celsius drop just from repasting... And when you're pushing temperatures in excess of 90 degrees Celsius 10 degree reduction is a lot!

here's a link to Amazon so you can see exactly what it is did you want to get and it's cheap

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01803QZV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and don't let the size of that tube freak you out because done properly that's enough paste to do four or five notebooks!
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    You tube video on how to repaste the Nitro 5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfoUkIazNA

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★