Nitro An515-53 Windows clean install issue

bdcs6
bdcs6 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Windows 10

When trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a Nitro An515-53, but have run into “windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation” error.

I am able to boot from the install USB. I deleted all the partitions and left just unallocated space. 

The Windows 10 installation begins but early on it stops with an error message “windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation”

• I used diskpart.exe during installation to make sure SSD converted to GPT
  • The SSD drive appears in bios
  • I’ve disabled Secure Boot in Bios
  • BIOS is UEFi mode (there appears to be no other options for this model)
  • I have re-downloaded the Windows ISO, and I’ve tried another USB drive etc.
I am only 2 months out of warranty and Acer support won't answer my questions.

What am I missing?

Is there anything else I can try? Something in CMD before installing?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Best Answer

• bdcs6

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Try to set the pendrive manually as it is in this file!

Thanks for the pdf. I tried these steps but had the same error message during installation.

In the end, creating an UEFI only installation disk with Rufus https://rufus.ie/ made the difference. It seems the hybrid UEFI + Legacy BIOS USB drive I was creating in UNetbootin on a Mac wasn't working.

UEFI only seeings in Rufus:
    • Partition scheme: GPT
    • Target system: UEFI (non CSM)
    • File system: FAT32
    I have made Windows installation disks with UNetbootin on a Mac before that worked ... so not sure if it is something related to this Nitro 5 model Acer, or its BIOS.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions and help! 

Answers

• Have you downloaded an iso only x64?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bdcs6

Tinkerer

Have you downloaded an iso only x64?
    I have downloaded the 64-bit version.

On the Microsoft site the only two options that I see are for Windows 10 English are 32-bit Download or 64-bit Download
  • The boot mode is uefi or legacy?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bdcs6

Tinkerer

The boot mode is uefi or legacy?
    BIOS boot mode UEFi mode (there appears to be no other options for this model, only the one)
  • The option sata mode is rst with optane or ahci?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bdcs6

Tinkerer

The option sata mode is rst with optane or ahci?
    Originally it was set to "rst with optane" and then I switched to "ahci" with same result - “windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation” error.
  • Try to set the pendrive manually as it is in this file!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bdcs6

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Try to set the pendrive manually as it is in this file!

Thanks for the pdf. I tried these steps but had the same error message during installation.

In the end, creating an UEFI only installation disk with Rufus https://rufus.ie/ made the difference. It seems the hybrid UEFI + Legacy BIOS USB drive I was creating in UNetbootin on a Mac wasn't working.

UEFI only seeings in Rufus:
    • Partition scheme: GPT
    • Target system: UEFI (non CSM)
    • File system: FAT32
    I have made Windows installation disks with UNetbootin on a Mac before that worked ... so not sure if it is something related to this Nitro 5 model Acer, or its BIOS.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions and help! 

• This indicates that it is not a problem in the notebook, but rather a configuration problem with the pendrive or the iso file was in trouble! What is the version of uefi bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• leonhardrocha
    leonhardrocha Member Posts: 1 New User
    bdcs6 said:

When trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a Nitro An515-53, but have run into “windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation” error.

I am able to boot from the install USB. I deleted all the partitions and left just unallocated space. 

The Windows 10 installation begins but early on it stops with an error message “windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation”

• I used diskpart.exe during installation to make sure SSD converted to GPT
    • The SSD drive appears in bios
    • I’ve disabled Secure Boot in Bios
    • BIOS is UEFi mode (there appears to be no other options for this model)
    • I have re-downloaded the Windows ISO, and I’ve tried another USB drive etc.
    I am only 2 months out of warranty and Acer support won't answer my questions.

What am I missing?

Is there anything else I can try? Something in CMD before installing?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

@bdcs6, I have the same problem. A shame "modern" PCs are so limited and "modern" OSes are so stupid. In the past installing Windows or setting up a hdd was a breeze, nowadays a headache. And worst, all technical support does not cover the topic, as it was some obscure practice. How can I materialize a PC to create de USB boot if a just got a PC to create to solve the former? I cannot imagine a computer illiterate trying to solve this. I solve huge problems creating to USB boot stick in my Mac just to be dumbfounded by the stupidity of the Windows setup process. And I am in my second day of using my Acer notebook. Great start! I would also like a technical answer from support.

• @leonhardrocha What is the exact model? Example an515-55-58vh. On some models, you must go to the main bios tab and press CTRL+S. A SATA MODE function will appear, which you should change to ahci. On other models, a VMD CONTROLLER function will appear, you should disable it.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

This discussion has been closed.