Bad sound quality problem when using default setting in Realtek of 96kHz 24 bits in Acer Spin 5?

kwing
kwing Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Why it is the case ,when like watching Youtube, I figure out that the sound quality in my Acer Spin 5 is worse than my previous laptop or using my phone.  And I find that when I change the Realtek console setting of sample rate and bit depth from the default 96kHz 24 bits to 196k 16 bits, the sound quality resumes to normal, or at least there is vast improvement in the sound quality.  Please check mate if you encounter same problem.  

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Thanks for the report. Many folks have found like you that reducing sound quality to CD/DVD is quite satisfactory in most cases. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kwing
    I am sorry that I find that the problem I actually encounter is a bit different than what I yesterday thought.  The problem I first encountered was more obvious than the slight change in "sample rate and depth setting", but an unclear sound similar to when you put the speaker in a cup.  
    I now find the problem is perhaps a strange setting with spatial sound:
    When you enable spatial sound, weirdly the "sample rate and depth setting" is limited to only "48kHz, 16 bits".  So when you 'accidentally' enable spatial sound (no matter Dolby Atmos/Sonic), your setting is automatically changed to "48kHz, 16 bits"... PLUS! As you turn off the spatial sound setting again (like when you actually only want a test of spatial sound streaming YouTube), THE SETTING DOESN'T RETURN! It keeps at "48kHz, 16 bits", which is a terrible sound quality as I mentioned like you are wearing the cheapest earphone you have bought.  
    Ps. I have a throughout test between "192kHz, 16 bits" and "96kHz, 24 bits" yesterday after posting this thread, and my preference actually uncertain, the difference is not big.  So I think the problem I first found was probably due to the "spatial sound" issue.  
    And thanks for supporting the notion that the two setting are up to preference, but I think the problem with "spatial sound" is REALLY WORTH NOTIFIED.  
  • kwing
    Btw, to access the setting, search "Realtek Audio Console". 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Thanks for your latest audio findings. With my high frequency loss coupled with constant ~2KHz background hiss from tinnitus, I'm lucky to hear anything above 1KHz except beat frequencies. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ