Stylus on Chromebook Spin 11 (CP311-1HN) writing without touching the screen.

Jossart
Jossart Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
The stylus on my Chromebook Spin 11 (CP311-1HN) began writing with touching the screen. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. If this is a feature how do you turn if off? I found this online, but when I did this nothing changed.
  1. At the bottom right, select the time. Or press Alt + Shift + s.
  2. Click Settings .
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  4. In the "Accessibility" section, click Manage accessibility features.
  5. Under "Mouse and touchpad," turn on Enable tap dragging.
  6. Click Open mouse and touchpad device settings.
  7. Turn on Enable tap-to-click.
Please help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What did it write? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jossart
    It began drawing as if the stylus was touching the screen, while the stylus was about a half of an inch away from the screen. After searching online, it seems there is a feature called "hover" with some styli which sounds similar to  what is happening. However, this just started happening and I would like to turn it off.
  • JackE
    edited May 2019
    Right click the Windows start icon. Search 'Acer Hover Access'. Click on it. Uncheck 'launch hover access' in the tool settings icon. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jossart
    It's a Chromebook Spin 11, no Windows start icon.
  • JackE
    Sorry. Try this link if you can find the stylus icon. https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/58323  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jossart
    Thank you so much for all your help Jack E., I tried the direction I posted earlier and this time they worked!!! I must have done something wrong the first time I tried. I'm still pretty new to the Chrome OS, I'm been a die hard Mac user for the past 20 years. Thanks again for help, God bless you.
  • JackE
    Congratulations. Good luck with it! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• alive_awakened
    alive_awakened Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 2019
    I had the same problem and was on chat with Acer support when they asked if my stylus had a spare tip. I pulled on the tip to see if it was removable and noticed it had some springiness in it, and it started working properly. Apparently a lot of these styluses ship stuck in the active position, and when pulling on the tip it fixed itself. :-) Try pulling gently on the stylus tip and then jiggling it in and out a few times (how's that for a technical term) to loosen it up, and it should work fine. The opposite end works as an eraser.

You shouldn't have to use more than a light touch with the stylus. I'm betting when they stress test them or the heat from shipping may cause them to get stuck pressed in, and doing the above loosens it up and gets it working right. The stylus is pressure-sensitive.
  • alive_awakened
    alive_awakened Member Posts: 3 New User
    Jossart said:
    Thank you so much for all your help Jack E., I tried the direction I posted earlier and this time they worked!!! I must have done something wrong the first time I tried. I'm still pretty new to the Chrome OS, I'm been a die hard Mac user for the past 20 years. Thanks again for help, God bless you.
    I work with all of 'em (PC, Mac, and Chrome OS) and traded in all my Apple stuff for an Android Phone and this Chromebook (to replace my earlier Chromebook 11 that's going off support this month).
  • JackE
    Thanks for the tip on the tip.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bigbootygothgf
    Bigbootygothgf Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm still having the problem you were having and I contacted support and they basically went "yeah sucks nothing we can do." I tried doing what y'all said you did and it didn't work. Please help. 
  • gbsa850
    gbsa850 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm still having the problem you were having and I contacted support and they basically went "yeah sucks nothing we can do." I tried doing what y'all said you did and it didn't work. Please help. 
    I know this is an old thread, but if you're still having this problem the s-pen from a note 4 or 3 works with the Acer spin much better then the one that came with it. I just got a used Acer off ebay and the included stylus was doing the same thing. Had an old s-pen tried that and it works as intended. Doesn't interact with the screen until it makes contact. Of course the button on the s-pen does nothing. 
  • DylanV
    DylanV Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have a Acer Chromebook and I got a pen and it starts writing even an inch off the screen it is super annoying and can not write 
  • JackE

So take it back for a refund. Then get the s-pen that gbsa850 recommended. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ