Spin 15 with auto rotate problem

Jerry_Joe
Jerry_Joe Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've read all the posts here about people with auto rotate issues on their Chromebooks. I have been a Chromebook user for many years and my new spin 15 is my 9th Chromebook (second 2 in 1 Chromebook). When I use the unit free from any external connections the auto rotate feature works fine. Even with the power cord connected it works fine. However, when I connect my USB mouse (its a Microsoft mouse I use with my surface pro), I lose auto-rotate functionality. The mouse itself works fine. I'm guessing because this only happens when the USB dongle is plugged in it is some sort of compatibility issue, but it seems strange that if it is a lack of compatibility that the mouse should not work at all, which is not the case. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What happens when you plug in a USB stick instead of a mouse dongle? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jerry_Joe
    Just put in a USB flash drive. The screen rotates so the problem seems to be specific to the USB dongle/mouse that I have. I also plugged in an external HDD through the USB port and the screen rotates. I don't have another USB mouse to try. Maybe the issue is with this particular brand (Microsoft) USB mouse? Definitely a weird glitch for sure.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    I don't think so. An external HID device is probably assumed to be fixed in whatever mode you're in when you plug the device in, Landscape, portrait, etc.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• craigjon
    craigjon Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Spin 15 has stopped auto rotating too.  The problem started when I sstarted using a Bluetooth mouse
  • Jerry_Joe
    It has to do with using a mouse outside "desktop" mode. The other modes, tent, presentation, and tablet are intended to be used with the touchscreen. It doesn't make sense to me; I should be able to use a mouse whenever I want.
  • bjornb
    bjornb Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

CONFIRMED.
    Any USB or Bluetooth connected mouse disables screen Auto Rotate. Only rotate option at that point is Ctrl+Shift+ScreenRefresh.
    This needs to be fixed promptly!