Acer predator helios 300 - nvidia GPU related crashes.

Answers

• flyingsaucer
    flyingsaucer Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    This message appears on my GTX1060 in device manager. I will try to format OS drive and perform clean windows install I guess and see where that goes. Will report on the weekend when I get my hands on re-installing.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    I suggest installing the factory-fresh ACER-flavored Win10 instead of the Microsoft generic version using the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method. It's probably the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue before any subsequent Win10 updates get in there to mess things up. Make sure your system restore is turned on in Control Panel's 'create a restore point' app. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flyingsaucer
    JackE said:
    I suggest installing the factory-fresh ACER-flavored Win10 instead of the Microsoft generic version using the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method. It's probably the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue before any subsequent Win10 updates get in there to mess things up. Make sure your system restore is turned on in Control Panel's 'create a restore point' app. Jack E/NJ
    Didn't know this existed, thanks a lot. Will let you know as soon as I try this.
  • flyingsaucer
    JackE said:
    Well, bad news, ALT+F10 reset didn't help and I even got BSOD after windows installation, on the very first Windows setup step. It seems to me that problem is in hardware after all...
  • flyingsaucer
    Also not sure if this is related, but I am getting a whole bunch of perflib and perfnet errors in event log. IDs: 1008, 1023, 2004.
    Regarding perflib errors, they pop up when I open predator sense app. I have disabled nvidia GPU in device manager to be able to use laptop without crashes, so I suspect it might be because of that.
  • JackE
    Yes, the nvidia chip seems to have an issue if updates hadn't been applied yet. You might want to try the re-set one more time for good measure. If still no joy, try to arrange for a warranty repair ASAP  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/EE/content/support  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flyingsaucer
    edited March 2019
    JackE said:
    Yes, the nvidia chip seems to have an issue if updates hadn't been applied yet. You might want to try the re-set one more time for good measure. If still no joy, try to arrange for a warranty repair ASAP  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/EE/content/support  Jack E/NJ

Will try once more, but I'm feeling out of luck.
    Should I try online customer self-service in case my other attempt fails? Or just take my laptop to service center that is specified on the site of shop where I purchased it?

Edit: same service center is shown on the acer support page so I guess I just take it there by myself. Thanks a bunch for help!
  • JackE
    Good luck. It might require a new mainboard since the nvidia chip is soldered in. If it was out of warranty, I might be tempted to do my own solder reflow since problems like this are often due to a bad solder joint. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flyingsaucer
    Answer ✓
    JackE said:
    Good luck. It might require a new mainboard since the nvidia chip is soldered in. If it was out of warranty, I might be tempted to do my own solder reflow since problems like this are often due to a bad solder joint. Jack E/NJ
    So, two months after the issue appeared, I finally got my laptop back. It was motherboards, they had it replaced.

However, now my predator laptop has vanilla windows and F10 trick doesn't seem to work. I also cannot install predator sense because now BIOS system name doesn't contain word "predator". Do you think it is an issue worth getting back to the service or is it fine? Maybe there are other fan control options that I could use?
  • JackE
    It shouldn't be generic Win10 if ACER repaired it. It should be ACER-flavored Win10. The cold boot factory re-set is done by pressing and holding the ALT key while tapping the F!0 key immediately after turning the machine on. The BIOS Main tab should have the D2D recovery option enabled for this to work. The BIOS Info tab should have the model PHxxx-xx somewhere on the page. PH is the designation for Predator Helios. If you go to this link, https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers  enter your model number PHxxx-xx, you can download the latest Predator Sense app for that model.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flyingsaucer
    edited May 2019
    After booting it up I see the green Acer logo instead of predator logo as before. I have tried downloading latest version but it doesn't install. I have found the following answer.

D2D in BIOS is enabled, I have tried shutting the laptop down, waiting 5-10 mins and booting it up but alt + F10 still didn't work. <br><br>It seems like I will have to take my laptop back to service. CPU temp while gaming is 90-100° C even tho fans are working at 5000-6000 RPM and laptop itself is on wooden surface with coolpad. Undervolting using throttlestop doesn't help as well.  
  • JackE
    Check the BIOS info tab. What model number do you see listed there? May be a different model mainboard that you got in there now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flyingsaucer
    JackE said:
    Check the BIOS info tab. What model number do you see listed there? May be a different model mainboard that you got in there now? Jack E/NJ
    I checked acer support using serial number, product name is Predator PH315-51. In BIOS system name is NG-PH315-51-72BR. Acer care center installed without trouble, my 
  • JackE
    OK. Try this. Press Win+R keys. Enter 'cmd'. At the C:\> prompt enter 'wmic bios get serialnumber' . The result is the mainboard's serial number id (SNID) How does it compare with the original SNID you used with ACER support? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flyingsaucer
    SNID from get serialnumber command is the same as original SNID that is printed on the bottom of the laptop.
  • JackE
    >>>I finally got my laptop back. It was motherboards, they had it replaced.>>>
    Sounds like you got a new motherboard

>>>SNID from get serialnumber command is the same as original SNID that is printed on the bottom of the laptop.>>>
    Sounds like you got a new motherboard---NOT

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• flyingsaucer
    edited May 2019
    The service summary says motherboard was malfunctioning as was replaced by new one, so I'm not sure what's going on :)

And I have tried downloading both PredatorSense versions, both give the same error. I have even tried installing the program using APPXBUNDLE installer. I managed to get 70-85 gaming temperatures using Throttlestop and MSI Afterburner, also enabled CoolBoost in Acer Quick Access, I feel like I can do without PredatorSense.
  • JackE
    >>>I feel like I can do without PredatorSense.>>>

OK. The original SNID might've been somehow embedded on the mainboard. Maybe they scavenged off the old board but it does look like you don't have the same BIOS hardware. If you can do without Sense, that sounds great. Congrats. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• flyingsaucer
    JackE said:
    >>>I feel like I can do without PredatorSense.>>>

OK. The original SNID might've been somehow embedded on the mainboard. Maybe they scavenged off the old board but it does look like you don't have the same BIOS hardware. If you can do without Sense, that sounds great. Congrats. Jack E/NJ 
    Thanks alot for the advices and bearing with me :)
  • Abhi_helios300
    Abhi_helios300 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having the same issue,after playing for 10-15 minutes the game stops and the home screen appears.
    My power plan is already set to balanced.Any suggestions?