How can I restore my Aspire V5-122P-643 to factory settings?

ironlegend
ironlegend Member Posts: 6 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
How can I restore my Aspire V5 back to original factory settings?

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Shut off the machine. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. Follow the directions to reset to the machine to a factory fresh state. Example videos are shown below for Win8.1 and Win10, whichever your factory installed Window version was. Jack E/NJ
    WIN8.1

WIN10

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    If you tried Win10 during Microsoft's infamous freebie 'suck-'em-period', the hidden ACER factory Win8.1 recovery partition was probably deleted (the missing partition error) even though you got your unhidden Win8.1 system back at the time.

You now have two choices. If your machine was purchased in the US or CA, you can go to this link https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/  or https://store.acer.com/en-ca/extended/recovery/  and order the ACER-flavored Win8.1 factory installation USB stick (or DVD disc if you prefer) for a about $50 usd . Or you can go to this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home and create the Microsoft-flavored freebie generic Win8.1 USB installation stick .

What's the difference besides $50? Well, you have to jump thru a few more Microsoft hoops for its freebie Win8.1 version since it may not have all the correct ACER Win8.1 device drivers which you'd then have to download from the ACER download site. No big deal just time consuming. But then about a week or so after installling the Microsoft-flavored Win8.1 freebie version and got everything working again, you'll probably get a frightening log-in error message one day that the installed Win8.1 needs to be activated in order to continue. No big deal other other than dialing a free Microsoft 800 number, anxiously hoping it picks up pretty quick, and then equally as anxiously following several voice prompts to push this & that number --- to do this & that task (in your case activate Microsoft-flavored  Win8.1) --- and then anxiously wait some more that the Win8.1 activation is successful.  It ***usually*** works except when it doesn't as Yogi might say. :)   Jack E/NJ        

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• ironlegend
    How do I restore my aspire V5 to factory settings? My email is ironlegend@ymail.com
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Shut off the machine. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear. Follow the directions to reset to the machine to a factory fresh state. Example videos are shown below for Win8.1 and Win10, whichever your factory installed Window version was. Jack E/NJ
    WIN8.1

WIN10

Jack E/NJ

• ironlegend
    Thanks, it worked exceptI got message cant do required drive partition is missing. Not sure what this means.
  • JackE
    Was it originally factory Win8.1 or Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ironlegend
    Thanks Jack. It is factory 8.1. Came with Aspire when I bought it.
  • JackE
    Did you get factory Win8.1 back or a copy of an earlier Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ironlegend
    When I said it worked I should have said using F10 I got in to restore but it didnt go thru all of the steps and I got the message drive partition is missing. Dont know what the drive partition missing means. Is there any hope for me to restore?
  • JackE
    >>> It is factory 8.1. Came with Aspire when I bought it. >>>

Did you try to use Win10 on it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ironlegend
    Think at one time I did download 10 but reversed it.
  • JackE
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    If you tried Win10 during Microsoft's infamous freebie 'suck-'em-period', the hidden ACER factory Win8.1 recovery partition was probably deleted (the missing partition error) even though you got your unhidden Win8.1 system back at the time.

You now have two choices. If your machine was purchased in the US or CA, you can go to this link https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/  or https://store.acer.com/en-ca/extended/recovery/  and order the ACER-flavored Win8.1 factory installation USB stick (or DVD disc if you prefer) for a about $50 usd . Or you can go to this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home and create the Microsoft-flavored freebie generic Win8.1 USB installation stick .

What's the difference besides $50? Well, you have to jump thru a few more Microsoft hoops for its freebie Win8.1 version since it may not have all the correct ACER Win8.1 device drivers which you'd then have to download from the ACER download site. No big deal just time consuming. But then about a week or so after installling the Microsoft-flavored Win8.1 freebie version and got everything working again, you'll probably get a frightening log-in error message one day that the installed Win8.1 needs to be activated in order to continue. No big deal other other than dialing a free Microsoft 800 number, anxiously hoping it picks up pretty quick, and then equally as anxiously following several voice prompts to push this & that number --- to do this & that task (in your case activate Microsoft-flavored  Win8.1) --- and then anxiously wait some more that the Win8.1 activation is successful.  It ***usually*** works except when it doesn't as Yogi might say. :)   Jack E/NJ        

Jack E/NJ