Can't boot from USB Stick Aspire V5-473PG.

seanicasia
seanicasia Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I have an Acer Aspire V5-473PG.

I'm trying to boot from a USB stick.

I've already changed the Boot priority and brought anything that has the word USB to the top. That doesn't work.

When I press F12 at startup, the only option it shows is Windows boot manager.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You should disable secure boot first. If it is grayed out and cannot be changed from enabled to disabled, you will have to create a supervisor password in order to change it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    you don't need to change the boot list but enable the F12 key Boot menu on BIOS.

your bootable USB flash drive must have a compatible EFI OS, 64bit version and the USB flash drive must be GPT partition scheme and FAT32 formatted.
    once ready, simply press F12 at boot with the USB flash drive plugged and then choose the USB flash drive.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • seanicasia
    IronFly said:
    you don't need to change the boot list but enable the F12 key Boot menu on BIOS.

your bootable USB flash drive must have a compatible EFI OS, 64bit version and the USB flash drive must be GPT partition scheme and FAT32 formatted.
    once ready, simply press F12 at boot with the USB flash drive plugged and then choose the USB flash drive.
    I've already enabled F12 key boot. As mentioned, the only thing I see available is "1. Windows Boot Manager"

For the USB Flash Drive, the only thing you said that made sense to me is FAT32. I checked, it's FAT32. How do I set up the rest of "compatible EFI OS, 64bit version"?

Thanks again.
  • seanicasia
    ven98 said:
    You should disable secure boot first. If it is grayed out and cannot be changed from enabled to disabled, you will have to create a supervisor password in order to change it.
    Hi,

I created a Supervisor password like you suggested. Then I saw the following - 
    Secure Boot Mode - Custom
    Erase all Secure Boot Setting - [Enter]
    Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing - [Enter]
    Restore Secure Boot to Factory Default - [Enter]

When you say "disable secure boot", I suppose you mean go to the "Erase all Secure Boot Setting" option, hit Enter, and choose Yes, correct?
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    about if the OS is EFI compatible and x64, you need to check on the download website; most Linux Distro (Ubuntu etc etc) and windows OS are OK.
    to create a correct bootable USB flash drive:
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool (or any other x64 OS iso):
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive

As disable secure boot, doesn't mean Erase secure boot, just disable it (secure boot mode), by the way, normally is not needed.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jnsystems
    jnsystems Member Posts: 2 New User
    Mine Acer Spin is not booting from usb after reset, and the computer for whatever reaspn is uefi only.
    any help please?

acer spin 1 SP111-31 series

• jnsystems
    jnsystems Member Posts: 2 New User
    never mind
  • enzoofthejungle
    enzoofthejungle Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have followed all of your instructions, ironfly, to a t, on my a515 51g 53F6. The boot menu only shows the hard drive which, as I'm sure you know, will not boot if the MBR is messed up or whatever. There is no option to add a USB to this boot menu. I have tried formatting it as UEFI and legacy. I can boot from it in legacy, but then I can't successfully repair the MBR or use DISM offline.

I am so freaking fed up with this this should not be this hard. If you have an edit or other suggestion, please provide ASAP. Otherwise, I have found Acer support and these forums to be direly lacking. Thank you.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    @YAG the key is to have UEFI setup correctly on the flash drive, and with a Windows image it should be. Make sure Rufus is configuring the drive as GPT, not MBR though.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • samgold
    samgold Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer ES1-572-357C  used to boot Linux from the USB once I had enrolled my EFI using the MOK.cer. Power on the unit with this stick inserted - it boot Linux and without the stick it used to boot windows. Recently when I tried for whatever reason not sure yet - it won't boot like above. In the boot menu I do not see the USB stick -I am using UEFI and secure boot is enabled.
    If I press F12 (after enabling F12) in the boot menu I get two choices - Choice 1 is windows boot manager and Choice 2 my stick - choosing options 2 boot from the stick perfectly.
    What I am asking how can I make windows boot manger a second choice as it used to work before where I didn't have to press F12 for manual selection.
    This is windows 10 machine.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Likely the EFI boot order has just been reset. You can use an EFI editor to change the boot order to get it back to what you want.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.