Acer Predator Z321QU fails to boot

b_pants
b_pants Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2019 Archives
Ok, so I want to preface this saying that this is the 2nd Z321QU monitor I have which is displaying the exact same issue. The first one was RMA'd and the replacement has worked now for a few months, just like the first.

When I turn the monitor on, the blue light turns on, but the monitor never boots. I see no splash screen. The backlight doesn't come on. Nothing. 
After 10-20 minutes, the monitor will sometimes, if it so desires, finally turn on. Sometimes it doesn't though. I seem to have better luck with this if I leave the monitor completely disconnected from power for 20 minutes before plugging it back in. If the monitor does decide to boot, it will work great (as if nothing is wrong with it) until my computer goes to sleep or is shut off. Then the monitor will freeze and refuse to turn on until I disconnect power for an extended time again or it just randomly decides it wants to work. 

The problem happens with and without G-Sync enabled. 
I disabled the Deep Sleep option in the monitor settings, same problem.
The problem happens even when disconnected from power and no DP or HDMI cables are plugged in when I restore power.
I have never overclocked this monitor. I run it at max 2560x1440 @144hz resolution.
I run Windows 10 with an Nvidia 1080ti.

I don't want to spend $80 to ship that massive box back to Texas again (thanks Acer for making us pay our own RMA shipping). I don't see any new firmware online. I am at a loss as to what to do next, but this is an expensive monitor and I don't want to buy another one.

Answers

• Are you plugging the monitor directly into a properly grounded electrical outlet?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • b_pants

Tinkerer

Do you think the grounding could be a problem? I guess I'll have to have an electrician come and check. I have some other electrical work to do, so I'll have them check it when they come out.
  • It's just a guess! Would you like to test the monitor in another residence, which has a properly grounded electrical outlet?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • However, it is more likely to be a problem with your monitor hardware! Is the monitor still under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• b_pants

Tinkerer

I had an electrician come and check the grounding and it's grounded properly. The monitor was working fine for the last few weeks too, but just yesterday started acting up again. I see the blue led, but no boot splash screen and no video. I left it unplugged overnight and still the issue persists. 
  • Is this monitor still under warranty? Have you checked that the problem remains on another computer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• b_pants

Tinkerer

It is still under warranty, but it has been replaced already. This is the 2nd monitor with the same symptoms and I don't want to have to pay to ship it back another time. 

The issue happens even without any hdmi or dp cables attached. 
  • three questions:
    a) When the monitor is plugged into the power outlet, does the power light come on?
    b) What is the exact model of the notebook or desktop you are using?
    c) If it's a desktop, are you trying to connect the monitor to the onboard or offboard video card?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• b_pants

Tinkerer

edited May 2019
    It's plugged into the DP of a nvidia 1080ti. I also have a 2nd monitor connected to 1 hdmi port which is working fine.  
    Edit: Blue power light comes on when I plug the monitor in.
  • b) What is the exact model of the notebook or desktop you are using?
    c) If it's a desktop, are you trying to connect the monitor to the onboard or offboard video card?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• b_pants

Tinkerer

It's a custom built desktop. The monitor is plugged into an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti video card. 

The monitor fails to boot even when left off and unplugged from power for 24 hours.
    The monitor fails to boot without any Display Port or HDMI cable connected.

Regardless of what I try, the behavior is the same. When I connect power, I see the front blue LED turns on, however the OSD Splash Screen is never displayed. 

• I do not think it's a problem with the monitor! What is the model of your motherboard? Have you already set up bios to use only the dedicated video card?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• b_pants

Tinkerer

I appreciate your responses, but I don't think we're communicating well. The monitor was working fine before, but now it won't even boot. I no longer even see the splash screen when I connect power to the monitor!

I have another monitor which works when connected to both the HDMI and DisplayPort on the same video card in the same PC. In fact, I'm using it right now!

I was worried that this was my 2nd monitor with the same problem, so I had an electrician test the ground wiring. The ground wiring was confirmed as working properly. I've tried plugging the monitor directly into the power outlet and through my surge protector. I've tried leaving the monitor unplugged for 24 hours. I've tried unplugging the monitor and holding the power button down for 60 seconds.

Like I said before, this monitor worked for a few months just like the last one. Now I can't get it to do anything other than turn on the blue LED. No splash screen. No screen light or flicker. Nothing. 

I think the monitor needs to be replaced again, but the shipping charges for such a huge box are becoming burdensome. I am going to open another RMA and see if they will cover the return shipping since this is the 2nd replacement.
  • Pardon! I was helping another user with a problem on the monitor too! Have you tried sending a private message to the Acer-Karp or Acer-Manny moderators to know how to proceed with sending the monitor?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer