Aspire 3 A315-53G-52A4 - SSD Upgrade

Savvikos
Savvikos Member Posts: 29 Troubleshooter
edited October 2019 in Aspire Laptops
Hello I own an Aspire 3 A315-53G-52A4, it has a 1TB HDD and im wondering if it could run an SSD on the hidden M.2 slot, SSD ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 PRO 256GB M.2 2280 PCIE GEN3X4
Specs: 
 Intel i5 8250U
 Nvidia mx130
 8gb ddr4
 1tb HDD 
Does it recognize an m.2 nvme gen3x4 SSD?
Can I use both HDD and SSD? 

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I do not recommend you buy a ssd 128gb. Just to give you an idea, the 1903 version of windows that will be released soon will use about 30gb of space! I advise you to at least a 256gb ssd! To get your question straight, see this:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Savvikos
    Answer ✓
    I want to thank egydiocoelho for his/her
    support, the results of installing a
    sata m.2 SSD on aspire 3 laptop are Bellow.
    40x faster than it was
    Used Samsung magician and Samsung migration tool !WORKS ONLY WITH SAMSUNG PRODUCTS!
    Cloned the OS and the rest of the files and there was no need to set the SSD in first priority from BIOS, although after the migration ended I had to restart it and set the SSD online from disk management because it was detected that the SSD had exactly the same OS and files (cloning successful!), So don't forget to set the SSD back online in disk management page, it will be set in first priority to boot by default (I don't know how but it was set in first without doing anything) Again thanks! One picture shows the HDD format.
    Pictures: 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Exactly my friend:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• This model has the same motherboard as the model a515-51! The model a515-51 accepts nvme gen3x2! Even if the notebook accepts a gen3x4, ssd will work like a gen3x2, because this limitation is on the hardware! See this topic in PORTUGUESE:
    https://community.acer.com/pt/discussion/comment/660621

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    So what should I buy? The gen3x4 that I posted is going to run as a 3x2, am I losing anything because of that? What do you recommend? 3x4 or 3x2? 
  • I would opt to buy a ssd m2 2280 with more storage capacity, as it is already proven that your model accepts SATA 3! Also, for a regular user, you will not see a significant difference in performance between a sata 3 and a nvme!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    So even if the connector seems to accept the nvme drives 3x4, I mean the connector isn't the same as a sata3 but I can use a sata 3 and get my job done, but will it be able to use both HDD and SSD at the same time? 
  • In fact, several notebooks accept both the nvme and sata 3 in the same connector m2! Yes, your notebook will recognize both devices at the same time!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    So I just plug my sata3 SSD in this slot and I'm done
  • Yes, you only need to plug the ssd m2 in this slot to be recognized in the bios! However, you should still install the operating system in ssd. In this case, the ideal is to clone the hdd to ssd!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    Windows backup to flash drive, set the flash drive in first priority to install Windows on SSD and done, am I right?
  • Have you purchased and installed the new ssd?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    No, I asked the community first because it wasn't clear if the m.2 slot supports nvme, now that you answered my questions I am going to buy a sata3 SSD and fit it into that slot, I know that I need a flash drive (16gb) to backup my windows and use bios to install them on my new ssd
  • According to the Acer service guide, your model has been tested with ssd up to 256gb! However, one user reported that they were able to successfully install a 512gb sata 3 ssd on model a515-51! I believe your model will also support this size! On the installation of windows, it is not necessary to create a pendrive. Just download the minitool partition program or macrium reflect and clone the hd to ssd!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    So for a last time, the slot I showed in the picture accepts a sata3 SSD without any connectors and stuff, I don't need huge space I just need 120-128gb
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    I do not recommend you buy a ssd 128gb. Just to give you an idea, the 1903 version of windows that will be released soon will use about 30gb of space! I advise you to at least a 256gb ssd! To get your question straight, see this:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    So this is a sata slot, and thanks, the support in Greece (phone support) is terrible. I guess I should get a 256gb now 
  • Ok! Post the result here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    Answer ✓
    I want to thank egydiocoelho for his/her
    support, the results of installing a
    sata m.2 SSD on aspire 3 laptop are Bellow.
    40x faster than it was
    Used Samsung magician and Samsung migration tool !WORKS ONLY WITH SAMSUNG PRODUCTS!
    Cloned the OS and the rest of the files and there was no need to set the SSD in first priority from BIOS, although after the migration ended I had to restart it and set the SSD online from disk management because it was detected that the SSD had exactly the same OS and files (cloning successful!), So don't forget to set the SSD back online in disk management page, it will be set in first priority to boot by default (I don't know how but it was set in first without doing anything) Again thanks! One picture shows the HDD format.
    Pictures: 
  • You are welcome my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ZenitramPRO
    ZenitramPRO Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    You are welcome my friend!
    Hey hi!

I'm wondering if Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 can be used by my A315-53G in its hidden m.2 slot. 

Got this q up here but not yet answered. >> 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/578840/does-aspire-a315-53g-56hb-compatible-with-ssd-970-evo-nvme-m-2-500gb#latest

Thanks!
  • Have you tried to update drivers directly from the intel website?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Savvikos
    Hello! Im writing this comment to inform you that my laptop is still working perfectly without any problem, although about the nvme m.2 slot I believe that it's not recognizing nvme drives, only sata ones. I might be wrong it worths a try! By the way if you are a gamer you can pretty easy run RUST on medium graphics with MX130! 30-60fps