Nitro 5 AN515-53 - High Fan Speed and CPU Temp

MrIAmHere
MrIAmHere Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello all,

I recently got a Nitro 5 and have been testing it out. One thing I have noticed is an EXTREMELY loud fan.Even when idle, the fan is noticeably loud. From the Nitrosense utility I logged a fan speed of 3200 rpm and a temp of ~55C. While gaming this increased to ~5800 rpm and ~95C 50% utilization. The GPU was at a similar speed but only ~70C 100% utilization.

Is it normal for this model of laptop to be this loud? Is there an issue with my laptop's cooling?

Thanks for your help and expertise.

Answers

• MrIAmHere 
    You can check by changing the settings of Acer NitroSense. This software allows you to monitor your CPU and GPU usage, as well as customize your Nitro system for optimal gaming performance. Here are the Customizable options: Overclocking, Modes of fan speed and RPM customization, Power Settings, Activating CoolBoost. For a complete list of instructions on using NitroSense software, please refer the user guide : Download

You can share the screenshot of the temperature. You can monitor your computer’s temperatures to check the overheating issues. You can use tools like HWMonitor if you want to check the temperature of your CPU & graphics cards. Every CPU is different, but generally, if the temperature is getting to 90 degrees Celsius or higher, you’re probably experiencing an abnormal amount of heat.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    Go to Acer Quick access and turn on the "CoolBoost" feature. This features makes the fan to run fast and give better cooling to the unit to reduce the temperature . If this feature is On and still the fan is very noisy than problem might be with the FAN
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • MrIAmHere
    @Jack22: Turning on the CoolBoost quieted it down on idle. But when I apply load to it, it still gets really loud.

@Sharanji: I used the HWMonitor tool as you suggested and found that my 4th core was consistently 20C hotter than the rest! That may be the problem...

• MrIAmHere
    Update: The 20C difference is only when under load
  • trungggg
    trungggg Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I'm currently using Nitro 5, and I gotta say that when underload, the CPU temp get extremely hot, everyone advised me to repaste the CPU and GPU with a better Thermal paste since the stock paste is pretty bad I guess.
  • Zezo_Noaman
    Zezo_Noaman Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

trungggg said:
    I'm currently using Nitro 5, and I gotta say that when underload, the CPU temp get extremely hot, everyone advised me to repaste the CPU and GPU with a better Thermal paste since the stock paste is pretty bad I guess. 

is it solved ?

• JamesFLores
    JamesFLores Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello! I am having the same problem, but when I try to turn on CoolBoost, it starts lagging on games I play.
  • Speedster_ELuu39
    Speedster_ELuu39 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I have the i5-8300h with the GTX 1050. I've been getting temps of 180-215 degree Fahrenheit even during normal use. I placed it in the freezer (set at 32 degrees F) for 10 minutes last week and I'm now getting 100-140 degrees on normal use. I would also note that my Nitro 5 would suddenly spike in temps and the fans would kick in at max speed before I put it in the freezer. Now I'm getting consistent temps.
  • Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited February 2019
    MrIAmHere said:
    Hello all,

I recently got a Nitro 5 and have been testing it out. One thing I have noticed is an EXTREMELY loud fan.Even when idle, the fan is noticeably loud. From the Nitrosense utility I logged a fan speed of 3200 rpm and a temp of ~55C. While gaming this increased to ~5800 rpm and ~95C 50% utilization. The GPU was at a similar speed but only ~70C 100% utilization.

Is it normal for this model of laptop to be this loud? Is there an issue with my laptop's cooling?

Considering the discussions in the market, the lower 90s seem to be very normal for Nitros. I too have a Nitro 5 and I'm cool with having lower 90s peaks. I once reached 98 degrees while playing Battlefield 1.

About the fan noise, of course, you may only be feeling that they are loud. Did you buy the laptop recently? Oh yes! You did! In my opinion, people have difficulty adapting with the fan noise of their new PCs. 
  • jossy96
    jossy96 Member Posts: 4 New User
    MrIAmHere said:
    Hello all,

So it is normal or not ?! I have the same configuration and the same problem, but only if i plug in the charger. On battery it works absoluttely normal. Why the CPU and GPU get overhating when charger is plugged in ?