Prodock wireless utility for P658-G3-M

P658
P658 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,
I just got the above mentioned model including the Prodock.
The acer page says, that my Laptop is compatible with the prodock
https://www.acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/model/NP.DCK11.013

But when I enter my SNID the Laptop is recognised correctly, but in the download section the Driver Software for the Prodock is not listed.

Question: how do I get the Driver / application to use the prodock?
Thanks in advance

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• P658

Tinkerer

Hi MaPlane,
    thanks for your fast reaction.
    yes, I had found that article before and I went to the download section, I entered the SNID and my model is recognizing correctly but it DOESN‘T show the ProDock driver/application for download (I think I wrote that in my first message)
    on the Acer site it says that my model is compatible with the ProDock (one of the reasons why I had chosen it).

so where do I get the software from?

thanks for any help 
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    France
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night P658 !

Try the link that the user laurent_14 sent and then post here the result!

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• P658

Tinkerer

Salut laurent_14
    I got the software, downloaded and installed it. Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get connected.
    - on the dock the led up front keeps flashing in a k
    - for test purpose, I've connected an optical mouse to one of the docks USB ports
    - in the prodock app i go on "home". On the home screen are two option to choose from: connection and settings
    - i go into "connection": This of connections is empty
    - back to "ProDock Wireless Manager" home screen
    - i choose "Client Preference". If I activate "Launch Dock Client a Windows startup" and click "apply" the application throws a message about an error and that the application will be closed. I re-start it
    - I choose "Signal Strength" : In here a Scan can be started. When I start it, it runs for 30 secs (counting down) with nothing happening.
    - I choose "802.11 ad Profiles": the list is empty. Create function not available
    in this description :
    it says "press the connect button to connect to the dock", but there is not connect button.

Strange....
    any idea?

• laurent_14
    Hello @P658 ,
    1. Could you check the version of the Intel wireless lan driver in Apps and features?
    2. Could you post a screenshot of the network adapters group in Device manager?
    France
  • P658

Tinkerer

Hello laurent_14
    i appreciate your help very much.
    i will post that information on Sunday late. Until then I’m traveling 
    regards
  • P658

Tinkerer

Hi laurent_14,
    ok, I'm back.
    1. the version of the intel wireles lan driver is 20.50.0 from April 28th, 2019, so it says
    2. please find attached the picture of the network adapter group

How does one get in contact with Acer? My expectation was that the docking works "out of the box", since both devices are from the same manufacture and they claim, they are compatible.
    While searching for help from Acer (which I didn't find) I was lucky to find this forum.
    This "search and find the right driver" I believed was gone since the 90s.
    Again, thanks for your help. I'd love to have this working
  • P658

Tinkerer

I just checked the download page to see if my wifi driver is outdated and on the acer pager the offer the lan driver version 19.30.0 from Sept 20th, 2017. So the driver the laptop came with is newer than what they offer on the product download page
  • laurent_14
    Hello @P658 ,
    Do you see a wireless gigabit device (WiGig) in Device manager?
    France
  • P658

Tinkerer

Nope, can‘t find it anywhere.
    i would expect it within the network adapters, but I checked all other sections as well, but can’t find it anywhere 
  • P658

Tinkerer

from what I learned reading around in the web, one would need a tri band wifi card that supports 802.ad.
    My model only has a dual band wifi. hence it will never work. Since the slot with the dual band card is an A+E key and tri band cards need an M.2 A-key connection, it can't be easily replace either. Makes me wonder why Acer says in its shop that the TM P658-G3-M and the ProDock are compatible. I opened the laptop and it has a GSM/LTE card installed which uses M.2 A-key socket. So I could remove that, install there a tri band wifi card....
    It is too much hassle. I returned the wireless prodock and ordered an USB-C docking station instead. Since it is not acer, it is much more less expensive too.
    Thanks for your help anyway. You got me on the right track.