New Chromebook 15 will not go past the network page.

RLN
RLN Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Just purchased a new Chromebook 15 and was trying to set it up. I made it to the network page and connected to my guest network, but it says "Network not available" and I cannot continue beyond this page. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

RLN

I recommend you to try reinstalling (Powerwash) the Chrome OS. To do that, please click here and follow the instructions in the support article.  
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• RLN

Tinkerer

Thank you! I will try that! 
  • RLN

Tinkerer

I have reinstalled Powerwash as per instructions and it still only goes to the internet connection. The page says, "Network not available. Please connect to the internet to update your Chromebook. and under that it says Linksys 04606 Connected. And no prompts from there. The only thing that I can do from there is Shut down. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>The only thing that I can do from there is Shut down. >>>

Before shutting the Chromebook down, turn your router off for a few minutes. Then turn the router back on again. Wait a few minutes, then see if you get an internet connection. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RLN

Tinkerer

It would not connect, although it said it was connected as a guest. I purchased a new router and of course, it has a disc to run. The Chromebook does NOT have a disc drive!!!  :# I tried the external disc drive that I purchased for the wife's Toshiba, but it did nor function properly. Is there a disc drive built specifically for the Chromebook? Or, how will I ever be able to connect to the internet with the Chromebook??? 
  • JackE
    >>> I purchased a new router and of course, it has a disc to run.>>>

Looks like the chromebook and router are talking to one another. But the router isn't talking to the internet. Can you connect to the internet thru this new router with any other device? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Depending on which router you have, the guest connection may not work until you fire up a browser and login. Just connect to your main network instead of the guest network. I should ask for the password and you'll put in what you used when setting the router up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RLN

Tinkerer

I got it. Thank you! I set up the router with my wife's computer and used the password to connect with the Chromebook! 
  • RLN

Tinkerer

Is there a preferred, or best "free" antivirus that you could recommend for the Chromebook? 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    No. Not needed. Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yeah, any anti-virus is just going to slow you down. You can still get on a malicious site with the Chromebook, but as long as you don't give them you logon info you're safe because you can always just leave. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.