Acer Predator Helios 500 HIGH CPU TEMP!

dkrack
dkrack Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So everything seems fine with my helios 500 but when i open up a simple game my cpu i7 8750h goes up to 86 degrees celcius only after a few minutes just seems a bit high any advice on how to get it to not get so hot would be great.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,651 Pathfinder
    @dkrack
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.
    So please dont know worry about the temp.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Not that hot. But you can try turning on coolboost in ACER Quick Access app. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Raydator
    Raydator Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited April 2019
    HI,

I received my Predator Helios 500 (i7-8750H) a day ago... First thing I did after the initial windows set up was change the SATA operation mode to AHCI as well as disabling the Predator sound when booting (so that I can game without waking up the Mrs).
    I then went and installed a game called Albion online (which is not CPU or graphic intensive by any means) and began to play... The Temp reached 92 degrees Celsius.....That's not normal, I'm sorry... In idle it was also getting unusually warm (70-75 degrees)... I also tested Dota 2 by just going in to the Demo hero mode with Tinker and spamming his third ability... (This also made the CPU work extremely intensively...) For all of these I was putting the fans on max by the way... (GPU was stable throughout)

I did some research and reached a solution which seemed viable... I went to Control Panel\Hardware\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings\Change advanced power settings\Processor Power management and then changed maximum processor State to 99% (For both).

The temperature has been MUCH better since then (reaching about 60-70 degrees with the fans being on AUTO)

My question is: Was I unlucky to receive a model which has perhaps faulty cooling management or maybe not having proper thermal paste applied to the CPU?
    I did contact local Acer support but heaven knows how long it is going to take them to come out to look at the machine seeing as i live in South Africa and service delivery isn't always amazing... Should I leave this setting as it is and just accept that the 'Turbo boost' which you apparently get with 100% CPU processing just won't kick in?
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Raydator !

First, let us know the following:

What is the ambient temperature of the equipment?
    Use the appliance on what kind of material: glass, aluminum, cold stones, wood, etc?
    Do you use any cooling base with a cooler?
    Are these temperatures only on the power outlet or on the battery too?
    Is the appliance raised to facilitate air circulation in the entrasdas?
    What is your version of Windows?
    Are the drivers all up to date?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I suspect the thermal paste is bad and needs to be replaced. If you are within the return policy, return the device back to the seller and get a new one, if not contact Acer.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • ven98
    I don't recognise reducing the performance of the device in order to reduce the temperatures as solution.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    ven98 said:
    I don't recognise reducing the performance of the device in order to reduce the temperatures as solution.
    This started in 1809 pretty much when MS and Intel introduced the latency hit pushing CPU to turbo speed constantly. In reality it isn't really needed to keep CPU at turbo speed at things as simple as mouse move. The change i mentioned only addresses this new addition. The turbo is still there and used as necessary.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • JTDragon
    JTDragon Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Jack22 said:
    @dkrack
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.
    So please dont know worry about the temp.

I will assume that goes for helios 300
  • Raydator
    Does anyone here actually work for Acer??
  • JackE
    Some moderators may be ACER employees who occasionally comment when needed. But it's mainly a peer2peer group of ACER users such as yourself. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Raydator
    Hi guys,

I am going to be completely honest with you... I put down a lot of money for this laptop and moved away from Alienware because this looked like a promising laptop with it's cooling and all... I am disappointed with my Helios reaching the Temps it does even after tweaking and following several videos to reduce CPU temps.
    I had a bit of a scrap with local Acer Support as well as they took a week to arrange someone to come look at it (due to it having on-site warranty), and when he was supposed to come (yesterday) they just cancelled the appointment for no reason at all... After their poor service and rude Support staff I decided to demand a refund or replacement which is when they told me Acer doesn't do replacements and that they will come fetch the laptop to do an evaluation on it and get back to me regarding a 'credit' within 24 hours... Oh AND they will do this evaluation without opening it - I insisted that if they open it and replace anything then obviously there was some hardware fault in which case I want a full refund.

I have attached some screenshots I took regarding the Temps I was getting just as evidence in case they come back to me saying that there is nothing wrong with the laptop.
    *Do you think I should just keep the laptop and carry on trying to get it to perform lower or do you think I am correct in sending it in? I would really appreciate any advice. Most of these max Temps I got when I was playing Dota 2 with the Fans on Auto. (The Predator sense screenshot when I was playing Albion online)

• ven98
    The thermal paste is bad, there is nothing wrong with the components.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Needs a repaste with a proper thermal paste not the stock

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Raydator
    Okay I understand that...
    My point is; Shouldn't it be properly pasted before I get the laptop? (Especially for this price)
    I didn't see them saying, "Please note that you will need to buy your own Thermal pasting and apply it to the CPU before use" in any disclaimers or terms and conditions etc? I know I am sounding like a very difficult person but I just feel that this is not value for money.
  • JackE
    Raydator >>>Most of these max Temps I got when I was playing Dota 2 with the Fans on Auto>>>>

Did the machine choke on Dota2? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Choke means that Dota2 didn't seem to run correctly. That is, the machine didn't seem to be able to consistently handle the load during the course of the gameplay. For example, evidence of throttling was apparent, FPS drops, framefreezes, etc. Stuff like that.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Raydator said:
    Okay I understand that...
    My point is; Shouldn't it be properly pasted before I get the laptop? (Especially for this price)
    I didn't see them saying, "Please note that you will need to buy your own Thermal pasting and apply it to the CPU before use" in any disclaimers or terms and conditions etc? I know I am sounding like a very difficult person but I just feel that this is not value for money.
    @Raydator all manufacturers use the cheapest thermal paste which its useless this is common practice not just acer its all of them then its up to you if you can and able to without voiding the warranty to repaste it with quality expensive thermal paste like kryonaut for ex

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• brwster455
    brwster455 Member Posts: 42 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    For those of you who stubbled upon this post because your Predator 500 laptop was overheating. I had the exact same problem with temps hitting 90 at idle. You have to change out the thermal paste on CPU and GPU and replace the crappy thermal pads with something better. Just make sure you have protection from static electricity. I used a Grounded Mat and Static wrist strap