Is the Kingston A400 SSD compatible with the Switch Alpha 12?

vivivi
vivivi Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I have a Switch Alpha 12 and its SSD seems to have stopped working. I opened it up, and  now I'm looking for a SSD replacement. The Kingston a400 240gb seems to fit the requirements (SATA m.2) but I found a post here that was dicussing which types of SSD the Switch supports, and apparently there's something called type B keying which is the only one the Switch supports. Here's the post https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/461548/how-to-open-chase-and-upgrade-ssd-in-switch-alpha-12 and the relevant comment

"It turns out that the m.2 SSD installed in my SA12 is a Kingston SATA model with the B & M keying, making it compatible with either B or M type m.2 slots (as are MOST Sata-crippled m.2 SSDs).  When i did the same upgrade on my Dell E7470 ultrabook, which also came with a Sata-based m.2 SSD, i had no problem installing my 960 EVO's bigger 1TB brother.  Unfortunately, our Switch Alpha 12's m.2 SSD slot is keyed for type B - meaning that the Switch Alpha 12 does NOT support the latest and greatest NVMe-based, blazingly fast, PCIe x4 SSDs.  The Switch Alpha 12 only supports SATA-based m.2 SSDs - or at least m.2 SSDs that are keyed for Type B (or B+M) - buy NOT type M-only slots."

I can't seem to find out if the Kingston A400 is keyed for type B. Does anyone know something about this?

Answers

• What is the exact model of your notebook? Example SA5-271-56FD

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • vivivi
    vivivi Member Posts: 2 New User
    not sure if it's this, but on the back it says
    NTLCD AL0086387 DAC67200
  • The model Kingston A400 is compatible yes! According to the service manual, this model accepts ssd of 512gb!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)