Predator Helios 300 PH317-51 - Throttlestop settings aren't helping with reducing temps.

Soupyy_
Soupyy_ Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Recently I decided to watch Hotel-Heroes Undervolt guide for the Acer Predator Helios 300 and apparently the settings aren't helping. It's as if the settings haven't done anything or even applied when it's clear that I did change them. My temperatures go up to 96 degrees Celsius. I also get Blue screens when playing Battlefield 4 and i'm assuming that it has something to do with the temperatures. I also have a laptop cooling pad and it does not help. My drivers are updated and I have updated to the latest BIOS. I've noticed all of this since I started to get bad framerate on Battlefront 2 2017 back in February. 

My Acer Predator Helios 300 model: PH317-51

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    The reason why you get BSODs could be because of unstable undervolt, which means you have to increase the voltage a bit.

As undervolting isn't helping, you have to either repaste with a high quality thermal paste(voids warranty) or contact Acer.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Soupyy_
    How much should I increase the voltage?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    This is something that only you can find.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Soupyy_ said:
    Recently I decided to watch Hotel-Heroes Undervolt guide for the Acer Predator Helios 300 and apparently the settings aren't helping. It's as if the settings haven't done anything or even applied when it's clear that I did change them. My temperatures go up to 96 degrees Celsius. I also get Blue screens when playing Battlefield 4 and i'm assuming that it has something to do with the temperatures. I also have a laptop cooling pad and it does not help. My drivers are updated and I have updated to the latest BIOS. I've noticed all of this since I started to get bad framerate on Battlefront 2 2017 back in February. 

My Acer Predator Helios 300 model: PH317-51
    Windows 10 1809 I presume... TS can do only so much given how Intel updated the drivers on lines on how windows 10 pushes towards performance. Follow the first link in my signature - below are my temps.

Without TS: CPU - 80-95 (don't recall GPU)
    Windows 7: with TS and MSI - 60-70 - spikes to 75
    Windows 10 1809 with same TS and MSI as on windows 7 - 65-75 with spikes to 80-82

Windows 10 1809 with TS and MSI as above but tweaked power plan to reduce performance slightly (not much cos i barely notice much difference)
                    -  temps now are 60-70 with spikes to 75

Try them out. Create a power plan out of existing "balanced" and apply the power plan settings in it.

Plotted graph on MSI Afterburner playing Ghost Recon Wildlands for you at 60 fps vsync (well, my monitor supports only 60 fps, so all my games are at that).

My power plan processor performance settings:

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • HK1994
    HK1994 Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited April 2019
    @sri369
    What if I want the ultimate performance power plan?
    Also, a person made this script that unlocks further power settings: https://gist.github.com/Nt-gm79sp/1f8ea2c2869b988e88b4fbc183731693

Maybe you could give it a try?
  • Soupyy_
    @sri369 I don't think I have Windows v1809. How do I check? And What do you exactly want me to do and what do I install? Sorry if I don't understand i'm very tired from trying to fix my temperatures.
  • sri369
    HK1994 said:
    @sri369
    What if I want the ultimate performance power plan?
    Also, a person made this script that unlocks further power settings: https://gist.github.com/Nt-gm79sp/1f8ea2c2869b988e88b4fbc183731693

Maybe you could give it a try?
    1. Personally, unless yours is a server system, I see no need for high performance plan.
    2. I would prefer a known program instead of a random person's script, unless his credibility is known. Install Park Control, enable extra options in power settings, and uninstall.

As for me, I already have all power options available to me, and hence my screenshot above.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    Soupyy_ said:
    @sri369 I don't think I have Windows v1809. How do I check? And What do you exactly want me to do and what do I install? Sorry if I don't understand i'm very tired from trying to fix my temperatures.

1. Win + R. Open up the run command with the Win + R key combo.
    2. Launch winver. Simply type in winver into the run command text box and hit OK. That is it. You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.
    I'll try to make life easier for you. I am attaching my power plan to this post; download and import it.
    To import, open command prompt as administrator and type the below command:
    powercfg -import <file name from the zip>
    This will create a new power plan; set windows to use it. This way you won't mess up your plans.

Also, set your power profile for max battery life - trust me, this won't impact performance much unless you were running a server. This mode helps windows not run its otherwise background tasks like store and such.

Also disable store apps auto update, disable search, sysmain and such. Also you can disable windows update (you can manually turn it on once a month or two and install any updates).
    On mine i have feature updates deferred for 360 days and security updates for 30 days.

I also removed pretty much all apps from store.

Coming to windows task manager, I do not see a need why I need all the info it shows on windows 10 version of task bar; plus its heavy too. So I installed a windows 7 version of task bar.
    https://winaero.com/blog/get-classic-old-task-manager-in-windows-10/

See my battery life screenshot on battery mode - this is kinda exaggerated, but i get about 4-5 hours at about 40% brightness at low to medium tasks. Fans kinda never turn on when I am off power on battery :-) You can see my temperature, don't you, at 39 degree centigrade. It stays under 50C, typically at about 38C - 43C (room temperature at 75 F).

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Soupyy_
    @sri369
    I have windows Version 1803. Can I still do what you told me to do? Also will this make a big difference in my tempatures? I get up to 96 degrees on Battlefront 2. Should I also uninstall throttlestop so my settings on there do not impact your settings.
  • sri369
    Soupyy_ said:
    @sri369
    I have windows Version 1803. Can I still do what you told me to do? Also will this make a big difference in my tempatures? I get up to 96 degrees on Battlefront 2. Should I also uninstall throttlestop so my settings on there do not impact your settings.
    It should. No harm in giving it a try.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Soupyy_
    @sri369
    Will do when I have time. Thank you for all the help. I'll get back to you as soon as I finish the process.
  • Soupyy_
    @sri369 Alright so I tried importing the power plan but it keeps saying "The file could not be found".

• sri369
    edited April 2019
    Soupyy_ said:
    @sri369 Alright so I tried importing the power plan but it keeps saying "The file could not be found".

wrong syntax buddy... go to the folder you have the power profile file in, and then do it using full path. powercfg is weird that it needs you specify full path to the power profile.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Soupyy_
    @sri369
    That's odd haha. So I go into the folder (It's a winrar folder for me) then I put the command in?
  • sri369
    Soupyy_ said:
    @sri369
    That's odd haha. So I go into the folder (It's a winrar folder for me) then I put the command in?
    Extract and do it. Its a simple command
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Soupyy_
    @sri369
    I extracted the file from the Winrar folder to my desktop, put the command in. (powercfg -import) and then the name of the file and i'm still getting the same issue. I'm fairly confused so i'm very sorry.
  • sri369
    you need to put it full path starting from root.
    if you are still confused, put it directly on c drive and do the command as
    powercfg -import c:\<profile name>
    replace <profile name> with actual file name including extension.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Soupyy_
    @sri369
    Just did that And i'm still getting the same problem. 

Don't know why it was set to open with Explorer.
  • sri369
    Last line... spelling mistake - Apir instead of Apr
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Soupyy_
    edited April 2019
    @sri369
    Fixed the spelling mistake and still getting the same results. Should I just copy the power plan picture you sent?

Edit: Got it to work! What else should I do? Should I also Shut down my computer?