Acer Aspire 7 A715-72G-79BH Dual Monitors

Window_Payne
Window_Payne Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Must extend the display. Two 23.8" Monitors with HDMI. Will use HDMI output for the first monitor. For the second monitor-- does the USB-Type C Gen 1 port have DP alt mode, or do I need to buy a USB 3 to HDMI adapter that has a DisplayLink chipset? Thanks.

Best Answer

• ReelTime88
    ReelTime88 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Answer ✓
    As the above poster said, your laptop has a USB-C capable of moving data only. Acer makes an adapter for USB-C to HDMI but it does not have displaylink, so it would not work on your model. However, that's correct, an adapter with the displaylink chipset should work. Some troubleshooting may be necessary to get the drivers to work properly.

You can find a full list here:
    https://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-adapters

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019
    Good Morning Window_Payne !

Only Type-C Gen 2 USB connectors with Thunderbolt support can be used for video connections.
    Already via HDMi only one signal is sent by the link, not two.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Window_Payne
    Sorry, I was trying to say, I have two monitors that have HDMI input. I close the lid at the laptop. I hook up one monitor with HDMI cable. Then, for the second monitor, I want to know if the USB C has DP alt mode..... if it does, then I can use a simple usb c to hdmi cable. Not able to find a definitive answer if this specific laptop has DisplayPort alternate mode. If the earliest iteration is gen 2 that has that ability, that answers the question, but I don't know that. If it does not have dp alt, anyone have any recommendations for a usb c to hdmi that has a converter built in (about $50 on Amazon)
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night Window_Payne !

This model has no DP connection.
    USB Type-C is version 3.1 Gen 1 only for data.
    Video can not be connected through any adapter or converter.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ReelTime88
    Answer ✓
    As the above poster said, your laptop has a USB-C capable of moving data only. Acer makes an adapter for USB-C to HDMI but it does not have displaylink, so it would not work on your model. However, that's correct, an adapter with the displaylink chipset should work. Some troubleshooting may be necessary to get the drivers to work properly.

You can find a full list here:
    https://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-adapters

• ReelTime88
    Correction, you have to use a standard size USB port, not the Type C. 
  • Window_Payne
    Thanks. This helps. I chose this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-Multiple-Monitors-2560x1440/dp/B01C6HBJOA

I spoke with the vendor, Plugable, and they confirmed right away that it's fully compatible with this specific system. From what I've read, it's almost indistinguishable from a monitor using an unconverted native signal. Cheers
  • A717Guy
    A717Guy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Does the second external monitor, with this USB to HDMI adapter, utilize the discrete nVidia GPU?  Or is it driven by the integrated Intel graphics?